Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbaraAlphanse

For now, yes. But I dont buy that this will really be a bottom 10 defense.

Based on?

Moore, Hunwick, Boyle... make for a woeful 3/6 players.

Staal, Girardi, and McDonagh are hit or miss.

We could be in a for a long, long season.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
For now, yes. But I dont buy that this will really be a bottom 10 defense.

:deadhorse:, but the Rangers should've kept their elite 5on5 dman.

Staal sucks without Stralman.

Girardi is not a fit on an AV team, much better on a grinding Torts team.

McDonagh obviously is a stud.

Hunwick, Klein, Moore, Boyle - have no idea what to expect.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It is really sad that the Rangers are wasting a top 5 forward corps with a bottom 10 defense.

Not sure they're either. Still, the forward corps is as good as it's been since the lockout, IMO, at least if you include depth (no 05-06 Jagrs on this team), I don't think they'll remain this pathetic defensively. I also think that a team that gets shutouts in a quarter of their games has potential to be a decent defensive core. They're not complete garbage. I want to see what they'll look like once McDonagh comes back, hopefully Staal will not be put in the position he's in now when that happens. Also regarding Girardi, he is more of a Torts D-man BUT I thought last year he was fine with McDonagh. IMO, he's not nearly as bad as you make him out. With McDonagh he works, sort of like Staal and Stralman.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Hayes' line looked great, again.

Though I've noticed both Hayes and Duclair defer a little to Hagelin. They need to start shooting the puck more themselves.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Based on?

You forgot Klein. I don't think Boyle is terrible, he's no Stralman defensively. I still don't like that move, but it is what is. I don't see one player, and I've been *****ing about Stralman all night, but I don't see that one guy making us bottom 10. I think they'll be top 10 by the end of the year, compared to last year where they were top 5 easily, if not top 3. Hopefully the improvement on O will be enough to override that.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Based on?

Moore and Hunwick are not woeful.

Hunwick has played 20 games and been rock solid in 19. He just had that one awful game. Moore is fine as a 3rd pairing guy, he's just a whipping boy.

Girardi and McDonagh are far from hit or miss. They've been the best shutdown pair in the league over the past 3 years.

There's been nothing wrong with Dan Boyle.

Our only issue right now is Marc Staal going up against the likes of Steven Stamkos instead of McDonagh.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
It isn't going to get easier watching Callahan (and Boyle/Stralman) in another uniform is it...

Every time I see Boyle I just wish he'd secretly have a Rangers jersey tucked under the Tampa one, tear the Tampa Jersey off midshift, take the puck in his mouth and barrel into the goal headfirst taking Bishop with him while screaming something sinister about Sathers sigars

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Tampa is like the Isles: they treat a game against the Rangers like the Cup.

I wouldn't put any stock into the two losses. While Tampa is a good team, I really could care less what they do after 20 or so games.

Callahan is a very good regular season player. He's a massive choke artist (outside a game or two against the Devils) in the playoffs. Stralman didn't prevent periods of poor play much like this season. And Boyle was hot and cold.

The playoffs will be the indicator of how much the latter two impacted the success.

Whatever. You're only as good as your last game. November was a tough month.

Problematique

Apr 3, 2011
Australia
Tampa is like the Isles: they treat a game against the Rangers like the Cup.

I wouldn't put any stock into the two losses. While Tampa is a good team, I really could care less what they do after 20 or so games.

Callahan is a very good regular season player. He's a massive choke artist (outside a game or two against the Devils) in the playoffs. Stralman didn't prevent periods of poor play much like this season. And Boyle was hot and cold.

The playoffs will be the indicator of how much the latter two impacted the success.

Whatever. You're only as good as your last game. November was a tough month.

Bishop's undefeated against us in 7 outings... I wouldn't dismiss them so easily, their D is shoring up and their PP murders our ineptness to stay out of the box every ****ing time.

We're their *****es and it's getting frustrating to see us not play bring our offensive game against them. Just look at that second period.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Callahan's face when celebrating that goal last night really irritated me, and it's getting play in every highlight I've seen of this game. Cockier than I ever remember him being here.

You can tell he still has something to prove, and he's proving it. He's ****ing destroying us.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Callahan's face when celebrating that goal last night really irritated me, and it's getting play in every highlight I've seen of this game. Cockier than I ever remember him being here.

You can tell he still has something to prove, and he's proving it. He's ****ing destroying us.

It helps when you have stamkos just gifting you the puck. He is quickly becoming one of my more disliked players.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

I wish the Rangers got up to play any team like Callahan gets up to play the Rangers.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
I wish the Rangers got up to play any team like Callahan gets up to play the Rangers.

Agreed. Most of the players on this team were teammates with Cally. How about they try and match his intensity and show him he isn't missed instead of rolling out the welcome mat for him?

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

Yup, I don't want to say that I'm mad but, I'm mad. **** you Callahan you ****ing piece of ****!

That didn't make me feel any less mad.

Also, I'm glad it only took a quarter of the season for many people to realize all of the stuff regarding Staal versus Stralman that was discussed in the offseason has come to fruition. I think it is very clear who was carrying who. Maybe Stralman wasn't not retainable, but people should have at least been able to admit that Stralman was better than every defensemen not named McDonagh last year without getting defensive over Girardi and Staal.

BLOCKERSAVE

Jan 16, 2013
There is 2 guarantee thing in Ranger Land. Never be able to win on the Saturday night game in Montreal and former players will score against them.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Boyle was outstanding last night

Brought something Stralman never could

I agreed with this move this summer and still do

Will be great having McD and boyle bringing it

The only guy that we really miss is Brian Boyle IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad