Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Jets - December 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Agreed. In the past 12+ games, we've been leaving an opposing player wide open in front of the net for far too often. Recently, it feels like it's been happening more.

Heck, last night, Brassard left Little open twice, and look what happened.

This is quite literally by design per AV's man defense scheme. The gameplan is to let both of your defensemen go below the damn goal line so that Brassard and Kreider can guard the slot. Mind numbing.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Yep on all those slot chances I couldn't even see a defenseman in the vicinity....other than when mcilrath was on the ice....amazingly he's probably our most responsible front of the net defender.

So sickened by this team right now.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I don't know why AV doesn't think his system is causing issues. All the other team has to do is get behind our net, while everyone on our team stares at the puck carrier while they lose their assignments. It's a compounded issue of our defensemen being poor at skating up with and moving the puck and our younger forwards playing terrible man-to-man defense.

OrbitalDynamics

#Unsurprised
May 22, 2008
Stalag Luft JFK
This is quite literally by design per AV's man defense scheme. The gameplan is to let both of your defensemen go below the damn goal line so that Brassard and Kreider can guard the slot. Mind numbing.

The walls are caving in and AV refuses to make any adjustment other than scrambling lines like a blackjack dealer tweaking on a killer batch of Meth.

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
not to make excuses but the rangers schedule has been very weird and with a lot of travel and excessive amount of back to backs...it seems like every other night the Rangers are playing a game...they have no time to practice, no time to heal everyday wounds, they go out west for 3 games then travel home to the garden for one game and then travel back out west for a back to back...I think the rangers have the most back to backs this year than any other team in the league...the schedule is killing the team right now....I see other teams have a better balance of games with fewer back to backs

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
everyone needs to back off the ledge a bit.. outside of washington no-one is running away with anything..

Montreal ist like 1 win in last 8 or 9
Pitt is same thing
lightening has been ******
islanders have gone off on a bit of a streak 8 wins out of 10 or something
boston has been decent at best

point is season is a roller coaster ride.. buckle up, it will be a bumpy ride and as long as we get in the POs thats where our season is dictated..

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
not to make excuses but the rangers schedule has been very weird and with a lot of travel and excessive amount of back to backs...it seems like every other night the Rangers are playing a game...they have no time to practice, no time to heal everyday wounds, they go out west for 3 games then travel home to the garden for one game and then travel back out west for a back to back...I think the rangers have the most back to backs this year than any other team in the league...the schedule is killing the team right now....I see other teams have a better balance of games with fewer back to backs

Are you sure about that? I think the schedules have been horrible for every team. :dunno:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Are you sure about that? I think the schedules have been horrible for every team. :dunno:

No, I'm pretty sure the Rangers have the most back-to-backs. Something like 19. Granted, I think some teams have 18 or 17, but I'm pretty sure we have the most.

I remember seeing this discussion when the schedule first came out.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Even if we can objectively say the Rangers have the worst schedule in the NHL (and by how much more than others?) you can still only account slightly for something like that. It's the same thing as being "tired" from being in the playoffs so much. All of these things by themselves are excuses, and poor ones at that. If you start factoring them in on top of other issues, sure, it can only make bad things worse, but my question is by how much?

I think these things are oft overstated when trying to find explanations for why a good team may fall short of, or completely fail their expectations.

Captain Lindy

Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
No, I'm pretty sure the Rangers have the most back-to-backs. Something like 19. Granted, I think some teams have 18 or 17, but I'm pretty sure we have the most.

I remember seeing this discussion when the schedule first came out.

You're making the conspiracy theory alarm bells go off now. I'm telling you, when the season after we lost the Cup final to LA and the NHL makes US be the team that plays them when they raise their flag....the next year Chicago wins vs Tampa...who does the league make them play when Chicago raises their cup flag? Tampa? No. Us. I think Bettman arranges this because he hates us. I know it sounds stupid but I cannot help it. Now the schedule that is the worst out of all 30 teams in the entire league goes to us? Just a wild coincidence I suppose. :shakehead

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
You're making the conspiracy theory alarm bells go off now. I'm telling you, when the season after we lost the Cup final to LA and the NHL makes US be the team that plays them when they raise their flag....the next year Chicago wins vs Tampa...who does the league make them play when Chicago raises their cup flag? Tampa? No. Us. I think Bettman arranges this because he hates us. I know it sounds stupid but I cannot help it. Now the schedule that is the worst out of all 30 teams in the entire league goes to us? Just a wild coincidence I suppose. :shakehead

I too have noticed the Rangers are oft the opponent for banner raising ceremonies. I don't think it's some wild conspiracy, but it's definitely a thing that happens.

Captain Lindy

Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I too have noticed the Rangers are oft the opponent for banner raising ceremonies. I don't think it's some wild conspiracy, but it's definitely a thing that happens.

If the league made Tampa be at Chicago's cup flag raising ceremony, then it all would have made sense. But us? Again? They really want to rub our noses in it.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
If the league made Tampa be at Chicago's cup flag raising ceremony, then it all would have made sense. But us? Again? They really want to rub our noses in it.

I really don't think so. I think they just want TV viewers for the event.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
To be clear, our schedule is not even kind of the worst in the league. Miles traveled per season the Rangers do the least. Teams out West have several hour flights to every game. Half our division is right next to us.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
The Jets play 16 games in March and their last 21 games are played in 40 days...how's that for a rough schedule?

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
These guys will put it together. This is not a team that lacks skill or talent.

They just need to get some ****ing confidence and come out to play every night.

It'll turn around at some point. Just need to fix the defensive lapses and get a sustained forecheck going on.

But get some rest first. Christmas break might be good for all of them.

Hope so because I thought they started their thanksgiving feast to early as they began to **** the bed. Maybe they will just need to ring in the new year.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
and when Girardi was playing he had a stretch where he was on for about 7 or 8 straight goals against and 5 straight against in one game, or something around that.

What's your point? :laugh:

He was playing injured, you know? Or are you just going to ignore that?

This is what happens when you mismanage the cap. You get yourself into a situation where you can't carry an extra defenseman on the road trip, and if someone gets injured, they might just have to play injured. This team just can not afford to carry Glass's cap hit. I don't know why we do. He should be 13th forward to begin with if we keep this current group of forwards, but we shouldn't, I'd much rather have Bourque as the 13th forward who only gets a game if someone is out of the lineup, instead of Glass.

Forwards should be

Nash-Brass-Zucc
Kreids-Step-JT
Lindberg-Hayes-Etem/Stalberg
Etem/Stalberg-Moore-Fast
Bourque

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why should Hank be exempt from blame? He's not the only one that more should be expected of, but he's currently not playing well.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
When the other team has 41 scoring chances, 20 high-danger scoring chances, there's not much the goalie can do. Relatively speaking, 4 goals against wasn't bad; Yahoo! had him as the 3rd star IIRC.

zones-three.png

Last edited:

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Thanks for the examples, guys. I'd hate to think our guys were losing "on purpose", but I guess it's something we have to keep in mind.

Losing on purpose, or is the coach loosing the reigns? I don't think teams intentionally tank in a childish manner, but they definitely start to call mutiny. I'm not saying this is happening, but it's certainly happened many times in NHL history.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
When the other team has 41 scoring chances, 20 high-danger scoring chances, there's not much the goalie can do. Relatively speaking, 4 goals against wasn't bad; Yahoo! had him as the 3rd star IIRC.

zones-three.png

Yes or no, and please only answer about Hank, do you think he's individually played well the last few weeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad