Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Jets - December 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
They all look confused. Maloney says they aren't practicing enough. I don't believe they've given up but there's too much talent and skill for them to fall off the planet like this. This isn't a new system. It's not the first time they're playing under AV.

I think a lot of this is really Girardi and Staal BOTH performing very poorly at the same exact time. If it was just one of them maybe we could battle through it but to have two out of your supposed top 4 D playing this bad at the same exact time is really tough.

It's more than the two of them - hell, the last two games with Girardi on the sidelines has indicated so much. McDonagh has been garbage for most of the year by his standards. Ditto for Boyle. And the forwards are abysmal in their own end. So many wide open point men sneaking in.

This is a team-wide issue right now. Nobody is consistently playing well, and a dozen players are consistently playing terrible hockey.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
If you are correct, then AV is doing a lousy job. They have the same forward crew as last year for the most part, with Etem substituted for Hagelin. Yet their puck possession game is much worse. Last year teams feared their speed, this year speed is at best middling. Teams clog the ice to slow them down. Coaches job is to get them to adapt. They aren't. Whether that is AV or his assistants I can't answer.

I think they just suck right now.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
He was a problem tonight. His line continually left men open in front of the net.

On goal 4 (?) Nash wandered to the other side of the ice and let his check come in behind everyone and score.

That line was atrocious defensively most of the night. It's concerning when a player like Nash who is usually defensively responsible looks totally clueless and unsure of himself in his own zone. And he's far from the only one on the team who has struggled with this. The team defense has deteriorated and both the coaching staff and the players are unable to fix it.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Even though we got Stepan back, we still are missing another two key players that were injured. Stepan was just in his first game back, I think it'll take a few games for him to get back to form. Playing without Klein and Girardi also puts McIlrath and Boyle into bigger roles than they are capable of, and its showed recently. It puts Summers in a position where he's in the lineup, McDonagh's playing out of position on his off-side. Staal's playing a bigger role, despite probably earning a demotion. Lindberg not playing, and instead we are icing Stalberg, Etem and Glass who add a lot less also doesn't make much sense.

I think this team will play well again if we get everyone healthy and the best player on the team Henrik Lundqvist starts to play better. I think he needs to set a better example. Hank has been terrible in recent weeks. It hasn't just been the defenseman.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Even though we got Stepan back, we still are missing another two key players that were injured. Stepan was just in his first game back, I think it'll take a few games for him to get back to form. Playing without Klein and Girardi also puts McIlrath and Boyle into bigger roles than they are capable of, and its showed recently. It puts Summers in a position where he's in the lineup, McDonagh's playing out of position on his off-side. Staal's playing a bigger role, despite probably earning a demotion. Lindberg not playing, and instead we are icing Stalberg, Etem and Glass who add a lot less also doesn't make much sense.

I think this team will play well again if we get everyone healthy and the best player on the team Henrik Lundqvist starts to play better. I think he needs to set a better example. Hank has been terrible in recent weeks. It hasn't just been the defenseman.

I don't even...

Why does everyone expect Hank to make every single save on a wide open shot from 10 feet out? For **** sake.

AV has been making horrible coaching decisions. Glass over Lindberg? LINDBERG IS ONE OF OUR TOP SCORERS. :rant: The offense has dried up. Nash is playing like a potato. Not moving his feet, not driving the net, staying on the outside. Brassard has been cold. Kreider has sucked massive ass. Miller inconsistent as always. Why the hell is Fast in the top 6? Hayes has been way too cold. No one has been able to handle the ****ing puck besides... Yandle maybe. Forwards never covering. Defenseman always blowing coverages. It's everyone. The goalie might be struggling, but not NEARLY as much as the skaters.

Hank can only do so much....

Even this game, he might have given up 4, but he made so many amazing saves. and most of the goals really weren't his fault.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

As an opposing team's fan I'd just like to say Hi and that Hank wasn't to blame for the loss tonight.
Take a step back from the ledge guys, there are only 3 teams in the league that have more points than your team. You are going through a slump. Better now than March or April.
By the way, if you are as dissatisfied with Kreider as it sounds, ship him over here. What would you want off of the Jets roster shipped back? Nic Petan and a 3rd do it?

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
As an opposing team's fan I'd just like to say Hi and that Hank wasn't to blame for the loss tonight.
Take a step back from the ledge guys, there are only 3 teams in the league that have more points than your team. You are going through a slump. Better now than March or April.
By the way, if you are as dissatisfied with Kreider as it sounds, ship him over here. What would you want off of the Jets roster shipped back? Nic Petan and a 3rd do it?

We need a RH puck mover. But I doubt that you want to trade Trouba so there's probably not a trade to be made.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Mcdonagh and Kreider for Myers, Nic Petan and Brendan Lemieux.
Salaries are similar, you guys get younger and teh RHD puck moving D man you desire?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
staal is still playing and McD is on his offside...

And if Staal gets injured or traded or demoted to the 3rd pair, what will be your excuse then? Will you finally be forced to confront the myriad of problems that are even more severe than girardi and Staal? Will you be forced to find 1 or 2 other scapegoats? No matter what, the ignorance will continue I'm sure

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
And if Staal gets injured or traded or demoted to the 3rd pair, what will be your excuse then? Will you finally be forced to confront the myriad of problems that are even more severe than girardi and Staal? Will you be forced to find 1 or 2 other scapegoats? No matter what, the ignorance will continue I'm sure

I havent counted how many goals we have let in as a result of a player being left enormously wide open in the slot. But its been a ton and a factor in every single loss so far.

So how about we address that glaring hole in our game and start winning games again

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I havent counted how many goals we have let in as a result of a player being left enormously wide open in the slot. But its been a ton and a factor in every single loss so far.

So how about we address that glaring hole in our game and start winning games again

Agreed. In the past 12+ games, we've been leaving an opposing player wide open in front of the net for far too often. Recently, it feels like it's been happening more.

Heck, last night, Brassard left Little open twice, and look what happened.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
One player we're really missing this year IMO is Carl Hagelin. He did so many little things. Great on the back check, great penalty killer, protecting leads late in games. Etem almost has no real role on this team. Stalberg has his moments but his hockey IQ is not very good.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
And coach Alain Vigneault is beginning to get upset when his defensive structure is questioned, instead going right to players’ execution as the culprit.

“I don’t consider a turnover a defensive breakdown. I consider that a bad pass,” Vigneault said, referring to McDonagh’s giveaway behind his net that resulted in the first of two goals for Bryan Little in the opening 7:34 to give Winnipeg that 2-0 lead.

“At the end of the day right now, we have a few guys — not to say quite a few — but a lot of our top players having a hard time with their game. It’s my job as the head coach to help them find their game. It’s as simple as that.”

http://nypost.com/2015/12/18/rangers-struggles-become-full-blown-crisis-in-another-disaster/

Doesn't sound like AV will be making tweaks to the system anytime soon. And while I agree that McDonagh's turnover isn't a result of issues with the defensive structure, the constant problems with coverage in front of the net is absolutely a consequence of man-to-man defense.

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
I decided I was letting my stream sub lapse if they lost to Minny since it was due to renew today. So glad I did. Not even worth that amount of money right now, let alone actually going to games. Granted I live in Montreal now, but still, I'd usually trek down to visit family once or twice that was timed to go see a game in NY, NJ or Philly.

Eff that.

I've followed this team through good times and bad, but right now... I just don't know. It's not the same. This is more than a bad stretch. Something's just flat out wrong. Spark is gone, magic is gone. NO ONE is working out right now. Not even Hank. Some are more to blame than others, but there's clearly something deeper going on with the whole gang. Zucc's reaction says a LOT to me. If that was from this game. I don't actually know...

Nice that it's coinciding with the Holidays where I'm super busy anyway, but I'm definitely taking a break. It's just too terrible to spend time/money on. I can accept losses here and there, even losing streaks, but this? This is an atrocity. This is what I expect from non playoff teams or rebuilding teams. We have no money (cap space, wiggle room). No prospects ready anytime soon aside from Skjei and Buch. Not many down the line. Quite a few "big name" guys not living up to their contracts AT ALL, but who have NMC and such. So basically no real ability to make a meaningful change anytime soon other than from within, and I simply do not believe that will be enough. There's not enough there. I have a bad feeling we're going to be living some pretty terrible years moving forward. I'm preparing for that.

And this isn't a "we're winning we're so awesome, we're losing we're so terrible" kind of post, or mentality. Even when winning the deficiencies were glaringly obvious. It was just a matter of time before reality caught up and luck ran out. Here it is. A week ago I said we'd make the playoffs but be thrown out quickly. At this point I still think we'll squeak in but I'm not even positive. Even more importantly, I don't think I care. We're not making a cup run. Not a chance in hell, so a first round exit just isn't exciting to me at all given our recent performances in the playoffs. We had our few shots over the last 4 years and failed to bring it home. The window isn't closing, I think it's actually closed. Unless we pull off some dramatic awesome trade and Buch, Skjei, McIlrath, Kreider, Nash, Miller, etc. just all become great in a hurry.

Meh! Devils/Isles/Flyers/Caps (and oddly some Habs/Lightning/CBJ) fans must be SO happy right now. Glad to be of service, guys!

Can't say it better than that, good post.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008

I'd consider the two worst players on the team not named Glass taking up 15% of the cap space the most severe problem

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Well, for starters, the inference that this is always a defenseman's fault is very wrong.

The team defense has been putrid. The Nash/Brassard/Zucc line has not only stopped scoring, but they're getting torn up nearly everytime they step on the ice.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
This team has given up 12 goals in 3 games without Girardi. What's the team corsi been?

Yeah okay and I guess that makes Girardi good again? Even though prior to his taking a rest he looked like absolute complete and horrific dog **** on almost every shift.

Edit: Everyone already knows Girardi is only part of the problem.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
With the rest of the problem being the entire defense lol. You don't even need corsi anymore to prove that they're among the worst, if not the worst, in the league. If Girardi or Staal even play in your top 4 during a crisis, you don't have a good defense, simple as that.

Brother Mouzone

May 23, 2014
I have been a Rangers fan my whole life I am 35 and browse every GDT and PGT and look at my post count 29 .... Why ? because most of you guys want to jump off the ledge no matter how well or how bad we play it's "we suck" "trade so and so" "fire AV". Are they playing bad hockey absolutely it's called being in slump they will turn it around every team will struggle at some point in the season news flash we were not going to go undefeated.Rangers record after 34 games last season was exactly the same as it is this year, 19-11-4. The year they went to the Cup, their record was 16-17-1. I have faith this team will turn it around will make the playoffs and will win the cup. If you don't believe that then what's the point of even being a fan just don't watch or go root for another team .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia