GDT: Rangers @ Islanders - "Who Wants To Lose More?" Edition - 4/5/18 - 7pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
They've had 5 by my count (Brendl, Lundmark, Malhotra, Montoya, McIlrath.)

They reached with 2, and neither were crazy reaches. One of them just stings because of who they passed on.

And Andersson was undoubtedly a reach as well.

I just quickly went back and looked at 12 sets of reputable final rankings for last year's draft and where Andersson was ranked:

Range: 11th-26th
Mean: 16.5
Median: 16th

I love the kid, but it's difficult to say that we never took him much earlier than was expected.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
They reached for Andersson. Nobody wants to admit it.
giphy.gif

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It's not even reaching, either. It's doing it for the wrong reasons.

If we took a huge risk because the kid was hurt, or a late bloomer, or in a bad situation, but we believed he had the talent to score 50 goals, that's one thing.

We reached for McIlrath because he fights. We reached for Andersson because he's a muh competitive warrior who does things #therightway and will throw medals if we lose.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

If we took a huge risk because the kid was hurt, or a late bloomer, or in a bad situation, but we believed he had the talent to score 50 goals, that's one thing.

We reached for McIlrath because he fights. We reached for Andersson because he's a muh competitive warrior who does things #therightway and will throw medals if we lose.

I don't think this is accurate at all.

They reached on McIlrath because they felt that there was a ton of upward development left for him and that he could potentially be a 2 way monster. Fighting was part of it but yeah, that was a bad pick.

I still fail to see why people rip on the Andersson pick, considering that he's already playing in the NHL and has excelled the entire season while playing in pro hockey. Who would you have rather had the Rangers pick? The savior in Buffalo hasn't exactly lit it up either.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

But let's leave out that Andersson is highly skilled and has high level IQ.

Come on. You absolutely cannot put McIlrath and Andersson in the same line of thought here.

It was a bit of a reach, yes. But a far cry from 2010. Andersson is legitimately good.

Reactions: TheGortonConspiracy

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't think this is accurate at all.

They reached on McIlrath because they felt that there was a ton of upward development left for him and that he could potentially be a 2 way monster. Fighting was part of it but yeah, that was a bad pick.

I still fail to see why people rip on the Andersson pick, considering that he's already playing in the NHL and has excelled the entire season while playing in pro hockey. Who would you have rather had the Rangers pick? The savior in Buffalo hasn't exactly lit it up either.

But let's leave out that Andersson is highly skilled and has high level IQ.

Come on. You absolutely cannot put McIlrath and Andersson in the same line of thought here.

It was a bit of a reach, yes. But a far cry from 2010. Andersson is legitimately good.

He is good. But how good?

He doesn't have a high ceiling, and that's why people criticize the pick.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
They've had 5 by my count (Brendl, Lundmark, Malhotra, Montoya, McIlrath.)

They reached with 2, and neither were crazy reaches. One of them just stings because of who they passed on.
Who are your two reaches? McIlrath and ...?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Let's just all be friends again, and focus on the LOSERS who aren't even in the NHL right now, or are in the NHL right now and SUCK.

Owen Stinkett - bitch
Gabe Stinklardi - bitch
Michael Stinkmussen - bitch
Nick Stinkzuki - bitch
Jordan Stinkway - bitch

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
He is good. But how good?

He doesn't have a high ceiling, and that's why people criticize the pick.
Disagree. I think he has a high ceiling, just not as relatively high as say...Middelstadt or Vilardi.

But that's assuming any, if not all, reach their ceilings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad