Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Islanders - December 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Girardi doesn't throw that puck in the crowd Isles don't score and we win 1-0. Worst play I've seen from him since Game 1 of the SCF.

It is a fluke play that happens to everyone. It is not really a skill play at all. You also seem to be neglecting the fact that a 3 on 5 is not a goal 100% of the time.

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
It is a fluke play that happens to everyone. It is not really a skill play at all. You also seem to be neglecting the fact that a 3 on 5 is not a goal 100% of the time.

It was a huge mistake in a close game. He wasn't even under much pressure when he threw it into the crowd. I was at the game and it was an extremely frustrating reason to lose a hockey game.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
1st line got rekt. Pretty even game, came down to a essentially coin flip. This game was a big improvement injuries considered.

Esa 10

Jul 12, 2006
I wouldn't say single-handedly but he played a huge role as he usually does.

Yandle's penalty was as bad as Girardi. Completely unnecessary to hook in the neutral zone with Stalberg covering the guy.

He might not have cost us the game, but Kreider was the worst player on the ice tonight. Killed the 2nd line. I never thought I'd say that about somebody else when Glass is playing.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It was a huge mistake in a close game. He wasn't even under much pressure when he threw it into the crowd. I was at the game and it was an extremely frustrating reason to lose a hockey game.

We could just as easily argue that if Yandle hadn't taken an unforced hooking penalty--Girardi wouldn't have been in the situation of being pressured on the penalty kill. And being behind the net with the puck with no good passing options or clear lanes to ice the puck is being under pressure. IMO he was attempting to ring the puck high around the glass and out past the point man or off the glass and out of the rink. It's one thing for a point man to try to keep the puck in the zone when a puck is down low and another when the puck is coming at his head.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Great game tonight guys. It's such a shame it was ruined with a shoot out, it didn't even feel like a win at that point.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Lindberg and Miller were both phenomenal tonight. Lots of hits, winning battles, protecting the puck. Miller had 5 shots and 8 hits tonight.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Very exciting to see Miller have the game he did, and McIlrath have an excellent game too. Miller has seemed like a poetntially key player in our lineup since that first call up under torts. He's got a lot of straight ahead skill, he's a master reverse hitter, and he can play the puck in tight areas. We need him to play like that moving forward. Tonight he was our best forward by a lot.

Happy with the win as a whole. I thought Hayes had a very good game, Fast was pretty good too. Kreider's really having a hard time, but he and Hayes have obvious chemistry, and together their potential is very formidable. I hope they stay together. Maybe put Etem in Fast's place.

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
I didn't think the Barclays Center was very good for hockey aside from the obstructed views and poor scoreboard placement. The upper level is very high up and steep. I was sitting in the 14th row and was sitting higher than the top of the scoreboard. It was hard at times to see the nearside of the ice over the tops of the people's heads in the rows in front of you. The hallways are also very narrow and there were only 2 men's rooms on the upper level from what I could tell. Very long lines for the men's room. Definitely the worst arena out of MSG, Prudential Center, and the Coliseum. At least the tickets are cheap though.

Here's a picture in case anyone is interested.

iTNTVTu.jpg

15th row of the upper level of MSG for comparison, although the Chase Bridges are certainly an eyesore.

g1G82gE.jpg

Last edited:

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Interesting little tidbit

D. Moore and Stalberg were 60% CF against the Isles' top line. Also their most common opponents.

Stoll.......wasn't.

Esa 10

Jul 12, 2006
Lindberg and Miller were both phenomenal tonight. Lots of hits, winning battles, protecting the puck. Miller had 5 shots and 8 hits tonight.

Lindy, Miller, Hayes and Fast all had good to great games. Better than most of their recent performances.

Unfortunately each line was carrying an anchor who diminished their effectiveness.

Glass had a good game for him. That still meant he was a drag offensively, should never be on a scoring line.

Krieder was just horrid. Tentative and killed countless plays.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Rangers lose.

Fans dump on the regular punching bags.

Others go unscathed, as usual.

I seem to be the only one who loves 3 on 3. After years of watching bad teams trying to get ties by playing boring hockey, the OT setup is great to watch.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
they were both great moves that got better saves.

Halak never saved Boyles shot because he didn't/wouldn't have gotten to it in time. He was completely undressed by Boyle. Problem is...Boyle never finished b/c he had too much momentum he couldn't control at the end.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Rangers lose.

Fans dump on the regular punching bags.

Others go unscathed, as usual.

I seem to be the only one who loves 3 on 3. After years of watching bad teams trying to get ties by playing boring hockey, the OT setup is great to watch.

I agree, but now because 3 on 3 is so good it makes the shootout ten times worse.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
I liked a lot of what I saw last night. The team managed the puck a lot better than in the prior games. To me, this game felt and was played like a playoff game and, I'm fairly certain that's all many of the Rangers are thinking about.

What has me concerned is the total lack of scoring being provided by Chris Krieder and JT Miller and Rick Nash. Nash has been fantastic in many parts of his game this year and I don't question his effort anymore, but, devoid of consistent offensive production from him, coupled with, consistent no show appearances from Krieder and Miller makes me concerned that this team will not be able to score many goals in these closer, tighter checking games. My hope is that Krieder and Miller are saving themselves for later in the year( I'm honestly ok with that if they are,) but I'm noticing alarming trends in both their games. Krieder has stopped playing physical, glides around the ice, and seems to select when to skate at full speed often opting to reach for the puck, rather than skate through the puck. Those are signs of a lazy player who may need to be woke up. AV is in a tough spot though because, with Stepan out, he can't afford to take Krieder off the ice. Miller seems to inclined to opt for the highlight real move rather than put the puck on the net. He's a physical force when he wants to be( think back to last year's playoffs for proof of that,) but again, that part of his game is absent right now.

The Rangers are showing some signs of mid season dull drums- something I feared may happen with this team given their success over recent years. I'm just going to keep my eyes on the prize and keep focusing on the long term goal and force myself to accept the stumbles along the way.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
If we play like this every game (but actually finish our chances), we'll be heading in the right direction.

It's December, so the team should be waking up by now (as dumb as that is...)

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
That delay of game penalty is such horse ****. I can't believe it's a rule.

Completely agree. The rule as designed is a sledgehammer killing an ant.

999 times out of 1000, the guy penalized for "shooting" the puck into the crowd attempted to make a legitimate hockey play, and the puck may have gotten away from him, especially with the way the sticks are today and the ice conditions. The rule is in place to stop that 1 in a 1000 time when a player purposely shoots the puck out of play to get a stoppage.

Worst thing is that it usually happens when a team is already down a man. Teams get a cheap 5 on 3 out of it.

Treat it like an icing. Team that caused the delay can't change.

JaeTM wrote: I haven't seen many other teams play 3 on 3 but from a Rangers standpoint it's not that much back and forth anymore. It's been control by one team until another finally gains control then swap. In the beginning it was very fun and exciting. Past few times have been kind of boring.

I have a feeling it's going to get even worse as the season wears on. Basically, 3 on 3 goals are scored because of a bad bounce or a mistake. Great plays aren't winning 3 on 3 crapshoots. It's going to get to the point where the d won't pinch at all to cover for a turnover. It's a silly gimmick that's worse than the shootout, and the shootout is insanely dumb.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Girardi doesn't throw that puck in the crowd Isles don't score and we win 1-0. Worst play I've seen from him since Game 1 of the SCF.

Pucks roll at the last second. This stuff happens. It's not his fault. McDonagh has done it. Lidstrom did it.

1st line got rekt. Pretty even game, came down to a essentially coin flip. This game was a big improvement injuries considered.

I agree, I thought they looked pretty good. Just couldn't solve Halak

Great game tonight guys. It's such a shame it was ruined with a shoot out, it didn't even feel like a win at that point.

Likewise my man!!

:cheers:

Totally agree. I actually thought Glass did some good things to turn some pucks over for them as well.

Interesting little tidbit

D. Moore and Stalberg were 60% CF against the Isles' top line. Also their most common opponents.

Stoll.......wasn't.

I thought that line was exceptional tonight. I like the look of that line as a 4th line. Speed, face-offs, all are solid defensive players, physical.

Lindy, Miller, Hayes and Fast all had good to great games. Better than most of their recent performances.

Unfortunately each line was carrying an anchor who diminished their effectiveness.

Glass had a good game for him. That still meant he was a drag offensively, should never be on a scoring line.

Krieder was just horrid. Tentative and killed countless plays.

Glass had a good game. Not just for him. He was hitting retrieving pucks, creating space for his linemates and he got a number of quality chances. Not everyone is Marian Gaborik but as a depth player (say 13/14F), he was more than solid last night.

I thought stoll was awesome tonight. Going to love him in the POs. He's exactly what we need on that 4th line.

I agree. He is quietly very physical.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Honestly felt better about that loss than some wins this year.

McI and Miller had their best games as pros IMO. Miller has never shown that before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad