News Article: Rangers in the Olympics

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Guys, I only threw the Boyle comment out there because he's a better player right now, and would be better suited for the 4th line, which is the spot that him and Bjustead would be fighting for. Bjustead will absolutely be a better player in the future. Didn't mean to start a pissing match.

Stepanformayor*

As speculated, McDonagh, Callahan, and Stepan all invited to Team USA orientation camp.
Of course Stepper's going to be in Winnepeg-Florida-St Louis or Minny by the time we get to the Olympics but hey that's just me boy's.. Write it down and keep it close by and remember who told you first..
Sather needs to wake from his slumber boy's before it's too late..I personally do not have the confidence in him that some of you seem to.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
As speculated, McDonagh, Callahan, and Stepan all invited to Team USA orientation camp.
Of course Stepper's going to be in Winnepeg-Florida-St Louis or Minny by the time we get to the Olympics but hey that's just me boy's.. Write it down and keep it close by and remember who told you first..
Sather needs to wake from his slumber boy's before it's too late..I personally do not have the confidence in him that some of you seem to.

Going to Winnipeg/Florida/St louis for what? We're going to have Brassard and Richards as our centers of the future? Richards is gone after this season. Sure, Lindberg might be ready to slot in at some point...but I can't see how moving our best center, when we aren't exactly dominant down the middle, is going to help us.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Going to Winnipeg/Florida/St louis for what? We're going to have Brassard and Richards as our centers of the future? Richards is gone after this season. Sure, Lindberg might be ready to slot in at some point...but I can't see how moving our best center, when we aren't exactly dominant down the middle, is going to help us.

He thinks Stepan is going to sign an offer sheet and we are going to lose him.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
#BoyleBombs

Better HOCKEY player vs. better hockey PLAYER.

The former is bjastautddudad and the latter is Boyle, for now.

Stepanformayor*

He thinks Stepan is going to sign an offer sheet and we are going to lose him.
Your right I do .. I hope he doesn't, but hey summer's coming to an end real fast.. So much for the idea we can extend the cap money for the summer..Slats is sitting on his hands smoking' that stupid looking stogie thinking he's out smarted everyone. But hey He better get moving cause I just heard through the vine The Cy Yotes in the desert may be on that short list as well..Not sure what kind of representation the young man has but I'd be telling him to start packing.. Why not?. Sather doesn't have the money anyways..

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
It won't happen. Pretty sure this board and half the overall fan base would riot if the Rangers lost Stepan for draft picks.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Your right I do .. I hope he doesn't, but hey summer's coming to an end real fast.. So much for the idea we can extend the cap money for the summer..Slats is sitting on his hands smoking' that stupid looking stogie thinking he's out smarted everyone. But hey He better get moving cause I just heard through the vine The Cy Yotes in the desert may be on that short list as well..Not sure what kind of representation the young man has but I'd be telling him to start packing.. Why not?. Sather doesn't have the money anyways..

You heard through the vine? That's just the voices in your head.

Sather isn't doing the negotiating. Gorton is. And they are negotiating. There's just not much urgency right now by either side to get a deal done. We've still got a month and a half before camps open.

Relax dude. Learn from the past. Staal signed 2 days before camp opened. Dubi signed a couple days after camp opened. None of our RFAs have signed an offer sheet since Sather has been here. That isn't about to change.

Stepanformayor*

It won't happen. Pretty sure this board and half the overall fan base would riot if the Rangers lost Stepan for draft picks.
You know what though Maybe getting the Draft Picks isn't a bad thing.. I would cry in my Fruit Loops if we lost Stepper but the key is The Ranger's Brass have to start making the draft picks count.. It may still be a bit early with CK-JT-MCIR etc but IMO the future is a lot more hazy cause Slats and The Brass can't seem to get it right on draft day..

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013

Step has to accept an offer sheet from another team. Its not like they just send him one and the Rangers are screwed. Why wouldn't he want to be in NY? He knows he'll get his money. Great city to play for. Playing for the team that believed in him enough to draft him. Best friends with McD. I don't see him leaving.

Bardof425*

I think it would be ridiculous to say Bjugstad is better defensively. Boyle was better than him offensively 7 years ago (and he's improved greatly since then). Those are the two components that make up hockey.

Bjugstad is a big guy who happens to be an excellent all around skater; he sees the ice makes plays at a high rate of speed and finishes like a top line NHL player. I'm not sure how Boyle managed to score in college but the skill sets are night and day. As we know neither is really being considered for Sochi but Bjug is being considered for 2018. Boyle never was and never will be considered for any Olympic team. Bjug > Boyle.

Bardof425*

When a guy has virtually no track record at the NHL level, you can paint any picture you want. It doesnt mean its based in any sort of reality.

You're right. There are no other leagues or venues for people to play and show their talents. Why even have a draft? Just assign wannabes to each organization and let the chips fall. Thanks again.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
You're right. There are no other leagues or venues for people to play and show their talents. Why even have a draft? Just assign wannabes to each organization and let the chips fall. Thanks again.

Yet, just a couple of posts ago, you bashed Boyle's college career as a non-starter...not worth your time.

I would've put you on ignore a long time ago, as your thoughts on this subject are nothing more than a running joke. But I have to admit, I find humor in how dense people can be.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Bjugstad is a big guy who happens to be an excellent all around skater; he sees the ice makes plays at a high rate of speed and finishes like a top line NHL player. I'm not sure how Boyle managed to score in college but the skill sets are night and day.
This post illustrates the big difference between you and I.

For me, to be a better player, you would have to better and one of the following two categories:
- Offense
- Defense

For you, it's all about what you can see that player doing in your mind's eye based on his:
- skating
- shot
- slick moves
- striking facial features.

As we know neither is really being considered for Sochi but Bjug is being considered for 2018. Boyle never was and never will be considered for any Olympic team. Bjug > Boyle.
Strawman2b.bmp

Bardof425*

This post illustrates the big difference between you and I.

For me, to be a better player, you would have to better and one of the following two categories:
- Offense
- Defense

For you, it's all about what you can see that player doing in your mind's eye based on his:
- skating
- shot
- slick moves
- striking facial features.

Strawman2b.bmp

I agree to a point funny man. First off anyone can see that Boyle is more striking than Bjug which pokes a big hole in your argument. Second, I do not subscribe to the advanced stats that try to explain in definitive terms a player's offensive or defensive prowess. I let my eyes and "regular" stats guide me to forming opinions on players. Bjugstad is a horse and he has significant skating and puck skills. Boyle is large but not a horse and does not possess the skill set that Bjug does. BB is likely a better defensive player right now by virtue of experience and his career focus. Bjug can learn to do those things. Boyle will never be able to play the game with the kind of skills that Bjug already has.

Bardof425*

Yet, just a couple of posts ago, you bashed Boyle's college career as a non-starter...not worth your time.

I would've put you on ignore a long time ago, as your thoughts on this subject are nothing more than a running joke. But I have to admit, I find humor in how dense people can be.

I did not bash his career. Take an English class. I said I did not know how he scored as he did. I meant that literally. He was not a Ranger prospect and I did not watch him in college. I actually enjoy rebutting dim bulbs; which is why you are still not being ignored. Proceed.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
First off anyone can see that Boyle is more striking than Bjug which pokes a big hole in your argument.
Can we have one Boyle discussion without you gushing over his looks?

Second, I do not subscribe to the advanced stats that try to explain in definitive terms a player's offensive or defensive prowess.
I certainly don't think use advanced stats to make definitive conclusion about a player, either. I haven't mentioned advanced stats here, either. They don't track Corsi in college. I'm sure you are as outraged as I am.

I let my eyes and "regular" stats guide me to forming opinions on players.
How did your eyes explain the fact that Bjugstad had 1 point in 155:32 at even strength and 10:53 on the powerplay? Really bad luck?

Bjugstad is a horse and he has significant skating and puck skills. Boyle is large but not a horse and does not possess the skill set that Bjug does.
See this is another area where we differ. I think advanced statistics are a far better means of evaluation than comparing players to animals is.

BB is likely a better defensive player right now by virtue of experience and his career focus. Bjug can learn to do those things. Boyle will never be able to play the game with the kind of skills that Bjug already has.
You're arguing against no one here. I expect Bjugstad will likely be a better NHL player than Boyle is at some point, and have said as much in this thread.

I like Bjugstad as a prospect. Last year, I picked him with my first round pick in an entry draft in a keeper league. But is he better than Boyle right now? Let's be reality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad