News Article: Rangers in the Olympics

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
http://snyrangersblog.com/internati...with-ryan-callahan-and-derek-stepan-together/

In the linked article, the author talks about Cally and Stepan in regards to the Olympics. The author then goes on to mention other Rangers who will/may play in Sochi.

Other Rangers expected to play in the Olympics are Ryan McDonagh (USA), Henrik Lundqvist and Carl Hagelin (SWE), Rick Nash and Marc Staal (CAN), Mats Zuccarello (NOR)

Potential Olympians include Oscar Lindberg, invited to the Swedish camp, and Dan Girardi (CAN).

I was surprised to see Staal's name as "expected". Not that I don't think he is good enough, but he hasn't received a ton of consideration in the past and given his injury, I wouldn't think he'd be penciled in at this point.

I'd be very surprised of Lindberg made the Swedish team given how young he is. Staal and Girardi I think will be longshots, though if Staal proves that he is healthy and returns to form, his chances go up significantly.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
If Lindberg makes Team Sweden for the Olympics you can be sure of two things:

• Brian Boyle will be living in a Canadian city at the trade deadline (Montrealor Detroit)
  • Brad Richards will be a free agent next summer

or we have traded Lindberg for a future bust...:cry:

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I'd move Staal to the "Potential Olympians" list.

I also don't think Girardi has a chance, but he might since I have no idea how big the rosters are.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
If Lindberg makes Team Sweden for the Olympics you can be sure of two things:

• Brian Boyle will be living in a Canadian city at the trade deadline (Montrealor Detroit)
  • Brad Richards will be a free agent next summer

or we have traded Lindberg for a future bust...:cry:
Detroit isn't a Canadian city....

I thought Staal was probable before the eye injury, now we'll have to wait and see.

Girardi I think is unlikely because Canada is pretty stacked on the right side.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
For someone voted as HFNYR's funniest poster, I would think you'd recognize a joke when you see one :sarcasm:

Then again, maybe it wasn't a joke :laugh:

Motown has always been a Canadian city, they just do not want it. It was a joke,but then again it is so damn good with vodka in the sun...

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
absolute locks at forward for Sweden:
Sedin/Sedin/Erikson
Franzen/Zetterberg/Allfy
Hornqvist/Backstrom/Landeskog

Jarnkrok? Modin? Pahlsson?

I think he might have a decent chance as a 4th liner, especially if they try to go young this time.

Probably a better chance than Girardi at least.

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
Canada D:

Weber/Doughty
Subban/Pietrangelo
Seabrook/Keith

Letang? Hamhuis?

I think if Staal is healthy and looks 100%, he probably replaces Pietrangelo in that lineup.

Don't see Girardi having a shot unless there's significant injuries.

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
absolute locks at forward for Sweden:
Sedin/Sedin/Erikson
Franzen/Zetterberg/Allfy
Hornqvist/Backstrom/Landeskog

Jarnkrok? Modin? Pahlsson?

I think he might have a decent chance as a 4th liner, especially if they try to go young this time.

Probably a better chance than Girardi at least.

Joel Lundqvist might be centering that 4th line.

as for USA, i think Callahan is in, too. Step should be a potential candidate as well, for a 4th line center/extra forward. he was the top scoring American center this past season and 3rd overall amongst American forwards behind Kane and Kessel.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Personally I'd be happy if no Rangers made it. If they all sat and rested. No chance of injury. For me the Stanley Cup overrides an Olympic gold medal. I can understand Europeans thinking differently about it. I also think it was ******** when the Olympics started allowing NHL (as well as NBA or European soccer pros) professionals to compete. A decision made primarily for economic/marketing reasons--something that stains the purity of the game morality that those bozos that run the games bombarded us with back in the 60's, 70's and 80's. They finally got with it--their purity was ******** and money is all that matters. I expect many Canadian fans like the new way just fine as it gives them a chance to win more often.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Canada D:

Weber/Doughty
Subban/Pietrangelo
Seabrook/Keith

Letang? Hamhuis?

I think if Staal is healthy and looks 100%, he probably replaces Pietrangelo in that lineup.

I highly believe Letang is a lock. Seabrook or Pietrangelo would have to be the ones competing.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
Canada D:

Weber/Doughty
Subban/Pietrangelo
Seabrook/Keith

Letang? Hamhuis?

Wow, that's a ton of righties.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Can you explain the humor to me? I'm missing it.

It's a short drive over the bridge from Detroit to Windsor. Detroit is about as close as you can get to Canada without actually being in Canada.

KenGuru

Sep 14, 2010
Oslo, Norway
Mats will maybe not play in the Olympics since he is suspended by the Norwegian hockey federation. Norway is like the last communist state in Europe since the state wants to have monopoly on everything

(he is suspended because of his commercial/sponsor with Unibet)

KingStian

Jan 8, 2011
Personally I'd be happy if no Rangers made it. If they all sat and rested. No chance of injury. For me the Stanley Cup overrides an Olympic gold medal. I can understand Europeans thinking differently about it. I also think it was ******** when the Olympics started allowing NHL (as well as NBA or European soccer pros) professionals to compete. A decision made primarily for economic/marketing reasons--something that stains the purity of the game morality that those bozos that run the games bombarded us with back in the 60's, 70's and 80's. They finally got with it--their purity was ******** and money is all that matters. I expect many Canadian fans like the new way just fine as it gives them a chance to win more often.

That is a way of thinking I don’t get. Why wouldn’t you want all the best athletes in their respective sports competing for gold in the Olympics? It’s not like the Olympics is an amateur event. Boxing and
Men’s soccer might be the last sports with restrictions, and I think they are going away from the amateur aspect of boxing if I haven’t misunderstood things completely. In men’s soccer you can have three players above the age of 23 (I think it is) on your team.

I get not wanting Rangers players ending up with injurys in the Olymipcs, but as a spectator I want to see the best competing against eachother.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
“@HLundqvist30: There is no better place to promote the game of hockey than in the Olympics. Happy we made the right decision. #Sochi2014â€

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I'd say Lundqvist, Callahan, Zuccarello, and McDonagh are definite. Staal and Stepan are probables; pending their play this year.

Really looking forward to the games this February! I love Olympic hockey.

16 To Stanley*

How is Stepan not considered a lock. The guy was the highest scoring American center this past season. He is already better than Statsny. Kesler is arguable as well.

I also think he is better than Backes and Pavelski at this point in time.

Just because he doesn't have the olympic experience doesn't mean you shouldn't be sending arguably the best American center in the game to the olympics.

He is a lock in my mind. If he doesn't make it that is just absolute poor management by the American squad.

The only areas the US are "stacked" imo are Right wing and obviously goalies.

KreidertheGlider

MDZ for NYR Blueline
May 31, 2012
Rochester, NY
How is Stepan not considered a lock. The guy was the highest scoring American center this past season. He is already better than Statsny. Kesler is arguable as well.

Just because he doesn't have the olympic experience doesn't mean you shouldn't be sending arguably the best American center in the game to the olympics.

He is a lock in my mind. If he doesn't make it that is just absolute poor management by the American squad.

Well, all of the other centers you listed have a larger sample size. Stepan has only played terrific for a lockout season.

Whether or not Stepan plays in Sochi will depend on his play this season.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I am on the rush, but are you guys sure Norway plays in the OG this time?

I thought I saw that both Nor and Denmark missed them...

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

I think Stepan is close to being a lock.

Callahan is a lock. It depends on the coach, but Step is Callahans center. You get 2/3 of a checking line. Someone like Pavelski can play on the LW.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Canada D:

Weber/Doughty
Subban/Pietrangelo
Seabrook/Keith

Letang? Hamhuis?

Ian, a smart coach will not pick 8 Ds used to playing 25-30 min a night with small marginals for Canada.

Girardi in a 8th D role would be a great pick. But, you have a bunch of candidates for positions of course so he is still a long shot...

16 To Stanley*

Well, all of the other centers you listed have a larger sample size. Stepan has only played terrific for a lockout season.

Whether or not Stepan plays in Sochi will depend on his play this season.

I assume Team USA will carry 5 centers, no. How would Stepan not be one of those 5.

Statsny and Backes haven't really done anything recently. Pavelski had an off year but I still think is very good. Kesler hasn't played well in two years.

It may be the homer in mean but I think Stepan is the best American center ATM.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00