Post-Game Talk: Rangers in Ottawa, Sunday 3:00 pm on TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Damn....of all the games to miss. Sounds like it was a good one. (Note to self - don't take a nap 2 hours before gametime.)

One thing though.....I really hope that family has the ability to take care of a dog, and isn't just getting one to keep the kids happy.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Damn....of all the games to miss. Sounds like it was a good one. (Note to self - don't take a nap 2 hours before gametime.)

One thing though.....I really hope that family has the ability to take care of a dog, and isn't just getting one to keep the kids happy.

I would be willing to bet that they planned on getting a dog for awhile now and were still going to get one even if Ryan didn't score.

Would be a stupid idea for the parents to not even be ready for a dog, but yet promise there kids they will get them a dog if Ryan scores.

Studzle

Dec 1, 2013
Toronto
I would be willing to bet that they planned on getting a dog for awhile now and were still going to get one even if Ryan didn't score.

Would be a stupid idea for the parents to not even be ready for a dog, but yet promise there kids they will get them a dog if Ryan scores.

They interviewed the father and he said they had been bothering him about it for months, and at least this way if bobby didn't score he would have a good reason to say no. So its safe to say they were at least thinking about it.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
They interviewed the father and he said they had been bothering him about it for months, and at least this way if bobby didn't score he would have a good reason to say no. So its safe to say they were at least thinking about it.

That's a bit better.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
SC : 42-25 Ottawa
HD SC : 16-11 Ottawa

Even then, can't remember a really great scoring chance for the Rangers. Really liked this game from the Sens

Look at that game cast, perfect game defensively :

http://espn.go.com/nhl/gamecast?gameId=400815585

The team showed that, when on their game, they can be a very good team.

That is still true. Granted going on such a tear for that long is not happening again but this team can be a good team still.

Like they played in the first period against the Rangers tonight... Great energy, sense of urgency, playing with more quickness and intensity... Sens were all over the Rangers. Shots were still 13-12 for NYR, which is exactly why I don't put a lot of stock in the shots count

Well, they played pretty well all game finally. That's how they need to be playing all the time. Don't understand why they need injuries to finally play with desperation... :shakehead

Just friggin waive Boro and get Claesson up where he belongs.

I don't get what's wrong with Borowiecki, RDS commentators (ok they are not as knowledgeable as the regular HFer :sarcasm:) were also not understanding what was the problem exactly, Boro give his all and doesn't really cost his team when he is NOT played out of his comfort zone. Heart and soul player that bleeds for his team, somewhat useful when used as a depth player.

The player that has to be traded first is Patrick Wiercioch. Jared Cowen also has to move so he can have a change of scenery and find his comfort zone somewhere else. Need a big upgrade on LD

But seriously this fanbase needs to stop always pointing the finger at depth players, it's getting ridiculous. You win and lose with your best players. EVERYONE and their dog knows this, except some people on this board apparently...

I have never been a fan of a team who's had coaches that made so many decisions I didn't agree with, as Ottawa's two last coaches.

I didn't get the Philloops fascination and do not understand Cameron's crush on Boro.

Boro is at best a servicable #6, never in a million years a first pairing D with an A on the jersey.

Because Methot was injured when Phillips was played on the first pair and is also injured now? What is so complicated about this seriously?

In my book, players with letters on the jersey are those who lead the team, not only vocally, but in-game.

You are saying that your book should have more weight than the book of people that have played and coached the game at the highest level for decades?

And now with the injuries up front man this roster looks awful. I'll never give up on this team or cheer for them to lose but I am starting to think we need a high end draft pick to restart the machine. We have stalled a lot the last few years with no real progression. We have players that have stepped up but I am talking as a team...

Depends on what were your expectations since the rebuild... Started in 2011-12, made playoffs 3 our of 4 years, won 1 round. One of the youngest and unexperienced team in the league. Had 99 pts last year.

I gotta say they have had better results than my expectations. It feels weird that I am probably the only one on this board :laugh:

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I am a little stunned that Craig Anderson has 3 shutouts this season, considering the Sens have given up the 2nd most goals in the entire league this season and considering how bad our blueline is.

Pretty impressive, Andy. Keep up the good work, you're the Rodney Dangerfield of NHL goalies.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I am a little stunned that Craig Anderson has 3 shutouts this season, considering the Sens have given up the 2nd most goals in the entire league this season and considering how bad our blueline is.

Pretty impressive, Andy. Keep up the good work, you're the Rodney Dangerfield of NHL goalies.

No Rispeck?

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Pretty impressed with Bobby Ryan this year and the leadership he is showing. This is a very good thing long term for the team even if this season ends up being a write off

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
SC : 42-25 Ottawa
HD SC : 16-11 Ottawa

Even then, can't remember a really great scoring chance for the Rangers. Really liked this game from the Sens

Look at that game cast, perfect game defensively :

http://espn.go.com/nhl/gamecast?gameId=400815585

Like they played in the first period against the Rangers tonight... Great energy, sense of urgency, playing with more quickness and intensity... Sens were all over the Rangers. Shots were still 13-12 for NYR, which is exactly why I don't put a lot of stock in the shots count

Well, they played pretty well all game finally. That's how they need to be playing all the time. Don't understand why they need injuries to finally play with desperation... :shakehead

I don't get what's wrong with Borowiecki, RDS commentators (ok they are not as knowledgeable as the regular HFer :sarcasm:) were also not understanding what was the problem exactly, Boro give his all and doesn't really cost his team when he is NOT played out of his comfort zone. Heart and soul player that bleeds for his team, somewhat useful when used as a depth player.

The player that has to be traded first is Patrick Wiercioch. Jared Cowen also has to move so he can have a change of scenery and find his comfort zone somewhere else. Need a big upgrade on LD

But seriously this fanbase needs to stop always pointing the finger at depth players, it's getting ridiculous. You win and lose with your best players. EVERYONE and their dog knows this, except some people on this board apparently...

Because Methot was injured when Phillips was played on the first pair and is also injured now? What is so complicated about this seriously?

You are saying that your book should have more weight than the book of people that have played and coached the game at the highest level for decades?

Depends on what were your expectations since the rebuild... Started in 2011-12, made playoffs 3 our of 4 years, won 1 round. One of the youngest and unexperienced team in the league. Had 99 pts last year.

I gotta say they have had better results than my expectations. It feels weird that I am probably the only one on this board :laugh:

Sure I think most people would agree with this. The issue though lies when you start giving depth players star player roles. Boro was 3rd in TOI in yesterday's game. Only :39 behind Ceci for 2nd in TOI. You can't tell me it isn't our depth players faults when they are being played in roles and given ice time outside of what a depth player should be given. Sure maybe it isn't Boro's fault the coach is in love with his intangibles but that doesn't mean we have to enjoy watching him struggle with top 4 minutes

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I always find it interesting to see people argue about who should wear a letter.

So, Ryan over Boro or Neil? Why exactly?

I mean, he's certainly a better player, but is he better suited to the duties of an alternate captain? Is he better suited to liaise with the refs? Does he have a stronger voice with the team in the locker room? Is he the one that motivates the guys when things aren't going the right way? Does it hurt Ryan's case that the refs seem to think he's a bit of a diver? Does Ryan even have any interest in wearing a letter?

Imo, most of what goes into being a good or great leader isn't the stuff that we as fans have a great deal of insight on, as we have no access to what's said in the locker room, on the bench, to the refs between whistles, and we don't really know what the players on the team think about one another. To me, arguing that one guy is clearly a better choice than another is niaive. It may be true, but we simply lack the visability on far too many of the vital factors to make an educated guess.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I always find it interesting to see people argue about who should wear a letter.

So, Ryan over Boro or Neil? Why exactly?

I mean, he's certainly a better player, but is he better suited to the duties of an alternate captain? Is he better suited to liaise with the refs? Does he have a stronger voice with the team in the locker room? Is he the one that motivates the guys when things aren't going the right way? Does it hurt Ryan's case that the refs seem to think he's a bit of a diver? Does Ryan even have any interest in wearing a letter?

Imo, most of what goes into being a good or great leader isn't the stuff that we as fans have a great deal of insight on, as we have no access to what's said in the locker room, on the bench, to the refs between whistles, and we don't really know what the players on the team think about one another. To me, arguing that one guy is clearly a better choice than another is niaive. It may be true, but we simply lack the visability on far too many of the vital factors to make an educated guess.

Yep, this.

Captain / assistant captain ≠ best player / skill player.

I mean, maybe your skill players are also your best leaders, but at that point it's just coincidence. There is rarely a correlation between skill and "leadership".

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sure I think most people would agree with this. The issue though lies when you start giving depth players star player roles. Boro was 3rd in TOI in yesterday's game. Only :39 behind Ceci for 2nd in TOI. You can't tell me it isn't our depth players faults when they are being played in roles and given ice time outside of what a depth player should be given. Sure maybe it isn't Boro's fault the coach is in love with his intangibles but that doesn't mean we have to enjoy watching him struggle with top 4 minutes

Uhm, why would we complain about Boro's icetime? It's a direct reflection of him being one of our primary penalty killers, and a lack of any quality LD with Methot hurt. If it wasn't Boro getting those mins, it would have been Wiercioch or Cowen, and you'd still complain about it... Only Wideman has averaged less icetime per game than Boro, but Cameron loves those intagibles so much, right?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Why isn't Prince playing with Stone?

Puemple is not a NHLer.

Wait... Is this serious? He had a very strong game and a few glorious chances. Like for example that point blank Lundqvist save early in the game

Hoffman is one of the few if not only guy in this world who can shoot like that,

Fixed.

Shooting is a Sens strenght (Karlsson, Cowen, Ceci, Ryan, Turris, Zibanejad, Stone, etc even Lazar have great shots). Unfortunately, accuracy in action might not be as good.

Pageau empty net goal, book it.

What the? How did you know that lol?

At least you didn't call it a SH goal... :amazed:

We are up 2-0. No reason to play him so much.

The real problem this year has been giving up the first goal. They don't play as good when trailing and feel the heat of overplaying Karlsson.

Great game by everyone on the team. Top six stepping up to the plate.

MacArthur, Turris and Michalek are injured though, 3 of the top-7 forwards

This team is better when they realize they are in trouble... which is flabbergasting

Not sure I'd say Lundqvist has been much better than Anderson

Anderson is probably the only reason the Senators aren't in the bottom 5 of the NHL

Lundqvist is the best goalie of the last decade. And even if Lundqvist had a bad stretch, he's been better this season like every year except maybe the season Andy only played 24 games. I wish we had Lundqvist.

Andy is a good solid goalie, but he is not Elite. If you think other NHL teams don't give up scoring chances, watch more games.

Try his best to be a top pairing D when he's a bottom pairing D, and for one night at least, he succeeded!

I'll be among the few to give huge props to Borowiecki. Imagine what is being asked of him. He knows he will get heavily criticized by many people and called a monkey on skates by Pejorative Slurs but he still does it. What a team player (like Phillips)

Seriously, Rangers have a bunch of 2-3rd line forwards.

D is okay, but hardly even better than ours. It is simply a horrible team.

Same could be said for 70% of NHL teams outside of a few elite teams (Washington, Dallas, Chicago, LA, St-Louis) and a few rebuilding ones (Columbus, Toronto, Buffalo, Edmonton, Calgary)

People have to realize how much PARITY there is in this league...

That's because our LACK OF DEPTH is exposed like crazy when we get a few injuries, particularly on defense because it only takes ONE injury to Methot and then you have Wiercioch, Cowen or Borowiecki playing minutes THEY SHOULDN'T.

I am on board, I want the team toacquire a VETERAN LD to play on the second pair with Ceci. Someone who is safe and can get a few points. A perfect stop gap ala Gonchar while Chabot develops.

In the forward group, there is a lot more depth, but when a top-6 forward is injured, only Michalek is proven and skilled enough to take a spot. Smith shouldn't have been played in the top-6 maybe but let's admit that Prince and Puempel are very unproven...

Boro, Cowen or Wiercioch on the top pairing... What else could be done? Claesson had to be sent done because too many injuries up front

To be honest, it was a very easy shutout for a NHL goaltender. I just checked the saves again and I think the toughest one was on Daniel Paille (10:42 in 2nd), which wasn't even that great of a chance. Maybe it was because Rangers shooting arsenal was horrific in that game, I dunno but Sens weren't really in danger. Best chance they had is when the Rangers player missed the puck in front as the net was left open by Andy. No shot on that play. Andy must have really enjoyed that game, one of the easiest shutout of his career and a stats booster because still 35 shots. Routine shots are great because it helps you stay focused in the game

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20152016,2,721&lang=en

Also, I noted something... I think they are very generous for shots on net at the CTC; for example the one that Daniel Paille got at 17:15 in the 2nd period. Normally, you're not supposed to count shots that would be outside of the net frame

Anyway, that game is exactly why the shots count is not really something I am worried about. We could give up only 20 shots per game but several glorious chances (like against the Devils in the first and it ends up in the back of the net often), it will worry me 100 times more than 35 shots like this. Pretty sure coaching staffs in the NHL see it like that as well. I know NHLers and ex-NHLers talk more about the quality than quantity of shots.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Not sure if mentioned during the game (just watching the replay on RDS atm)....I didn't know Lazar is colour blind. Learn something new every day.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Yep, this.

Captain / assistant captain ≠ best player / skill player.

I mean, maybe your skill players are also your best leaders, but at that point it's just coincidence. There is rarely a correlation between skill and "leadership".

While I agree deciding who is a good leader from outside the room is almost impossible, my experience has been people are willing to follow those that have the experience and skill to make a difference.

IMO EK throwing huge open ice hits and Ryan back checking like his life depended on it had more effect on the team than all the hitting Boro or Neil have done all season.

People follow people that do things that are out of their comfort level for the good of the team. They also have a tendency to follow the people that can help them to be winners, not just the most vocal in the room or with the media.

IMO Boro being handed the 'A' is all about Cameron's believe grinding wins games in the NHL, not skill.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Cameron talked about 'emptying the tank' for the team when it came to Boro, that if everyone played as hard as Boro, no matter their skillset, it'd help the team win.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Cameron talked about 'emptying the tank' for the team when it came to Boro, that if everyone played as hard as Boro, no matter their skillset, it'd help the team win.
TBH he isnt lying ,Boro didnt get to the nhl, based on much else other than sheer determination

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Anyway, that game is exactly why the shots count is not really something I am worried about. We could give up only 20 shots per game but several glorious chances (like against the Devils in the first and it ends up in the back of the net often), it will worry me 100 times more than 35 shots like this. Pretty sure coaching staffs in the NHL see it like that as well. I know NHLers and ex-NHLers talk more about the quality than quantity of shots.

This is one reason why Corsi isn't widely accepted by NHL coaches as a standard for measuring player performance (Boro's comment about Corsi and the coaches support of his play as Exhibit A).

The Senators defensive system isn't designed to keep the shot total low, it is designed to limit the number of high quality scoring chances.

This approach works quite well, but does have a propensity for an increase in coverage breakdowns due to defenders becoming too static in the umbrella and can't respond to quick puck movement an uncontested perimeter allows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad