Series Talk: Rangers @ Hurricanes - Metropolitan Division Final

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
My thoughts on this series:

1. There are two ways to beat the Carolina Hurricanes.

You either buckle up and hang on for dear life and steal a W with your goalie being MoM.

Or you take the game to them, exploit their Ds who aren’t the best defenders, and just push them back. These guys are superb on the forecheck, of playing fast but not too sloppy with the puck. They aren’t superb at stopping a dominant attack.

2. The three teams that have had the most success against Carolina are Florida, Toronto and Washington. Heavy attacking teams that thrives at spending time on the attack.

Especially with how the kid line have looked, we also have potential to mirror that style more.

3. What I fear is that we have so much confidence with winning games ‘with the hand break on’. Generally, if we don’t give a game away we get the saves and offensive plays anyway to win more than we lose, right?

4. The thing is, nothing suits Carolina better than a facing a more conservative passive team. They have pwned us, dominated Pittsburg, and so forth.

5. I would have loved to have a little more time before this series.

We have many others have changed it up in the attacking zone the last 5 years. That is why scoring is up. But to get more possession, it’s not wrong against Carolina to play with more margins. At least as long as we aren’t chasing. But that is not something that Gallant can put on a drawing board. Everyone must be on the same page, can’t have two guys crashing the net looking for a low percentage pass to get to the far post while the guy with the puck shots it around the boards instead.

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
This just isn't a Reaves series. I wonder if he plays the role of Nemeth and it takes GG a few games to realize.

Who are your fastest guys? Play them. Play them all.

Reactions: gump116

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida

Yeah, I am relishing in my trust, loyalty, intuition and overall fandom of our Rangers. Here; Please read.​

GDT: ECQF Game 5 - New York Rangers vs Pittsburgh Penguins - 7pm EST - MSG, ESPN - Series (Pit 3-1)

That's what I had reminded my buddy Richie the mailman. Just win tonight. Have every confidence they will. Game 6 will be the key. We ARE a good road team, just have to prove it, if they get that chance. When that becomes a foregone conclusion, the pressure then turns on Pitt. as they hear...

(BEFORE GAME 6)
You say that now, but some crow might be coming. Now that the kids are doing some damage, with Crosby probably out, this tilts the top 6 in our favor. Thinking we might actually get a few PPG's game 6.

Reactions: Ola

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
2-0 when I go to bed early to get a good night's sleep. Both comeback wins.

Guess I'm going to continue having a healthy sleep habit during the playoffs. Unfortunately that means I won't be able to watch them win the Cup live...

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Carolina was supposed to easily beat Boston. They won game 7 by 1 goal. If Shesty plays like Shesty can then anything is possible.
Also, you have to believe Boston bruised the crap out of them. We have our major injuries, you can bet they have them as well, if not MORE.
In a nutshell, Shesty "has to be" regular season Vezina/Hart Shesty.
And IDC what anybody says, that GAME 1 100+minutes took a great deal out of him hysically, and was detrimental to him in the next 3, check that 4 games.
Seems to have gathered himself, physically and emotionally. Wonder if Canes fans continue the Shesty chants. Either way, he should be BETTER than that and over it already. He has to.

Cygnus 2112

Aug 7, 2014
Long Island
Will this be on the ESPN app or do I STILL need to subscribe to ESPN + to watch on my phone? Working Wednesday night and wanted to start watching at puck drop.

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
beat Derek Stepan at ALL the faceoffs!

and thank the gods that series starts Wednesday, because I'm seeing The Offspring tomorrow night and i would have been tight lol

RagFinMet

Jan 5, 2019
We CAN win this series
Our stars have to show up
Starts with our D
We need Fox to be '94 Leetch or close to it.
We need '21-'22 regular season trouba NOT '20-'21 trouba
Miller to continue to improve especially his passing.
Lindgren to get healthy and continue to play great
Our third pair has to be better(no nemeth)
Our forwards need to defend better.
The pan line has to produce
Kid line continue getting better
Kreid and mika cant disappear for a couple games
And of course we need the best goalie to be great but that starts with better defensive play
And our coach. He HAS to be better managing a game. Call a timeout once in awhile when getting demolished. Change up lines sooner if struggling. No o zone FOs for the 4th line
Lets win at home and steal game 7
LGR!

Reactions: CLW and duhmetreE

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Kreider Zibs Vatrano
Panarin Strome Copp
Laffy Chytil Kakko
Motte Rooney Brodz

KAM Trouba
Lindgren Fox
Jones Braun/Schneids

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
WE HAVE TO GET OUT OF OUR ZONE A LOT QUICKER

We stumbled and bumble with the puck. We panic'd a lot this series with the puck. That cannot work against Carolina. There has to be a protocol in place with get the puck out and through.

Maybe there was too much reverence to Crosby. They do not have a Crosby but Carolina will bitch slap you if you fall asleep.

Shesty will have to stand on his head. If he plays like he played in game 7, I like our chances

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Rangers moved to the 2nd round exceeding expectation for an inexperienced team. I Had them to squeeze by into a 2nd round, and boy did they squeeze by, took OT in a Game 7. Anything from here is extra gravy and playing with house money now for me. Just going to enjoy this series, win or lose. Obviously want to win, but don’t think it will be the end of the world if they don’t.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm still in a good mood but since we're looking forward in this thread...

Still hate the lines. Vatrano is a tragedy with Zibanejad and Kreider. I can at least see why they thought Panarin and Strome are good. Where did we think this one works, again?

Lafreniere was with Zibanejad for five seconds and they scored. Can't have that. Don't like the way Lafreniere plays defense enough to give him those minutes so we can score goals. Meanwhile, it's fine if the 4th line has a 30% xGF.

Speaking of the 4th line...

3rd pair makes me wanna eat snails. Nemeth-Schneider sucks. Schneider-Braun sucks. If only there were some sort of common denominator between those two pairs.

Not much we can do about some of this now, but for god sake, shake up the lines.

Reactions: CLW and mas0764

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
On paper this matchup is a lot tougher than Pittsburgh. But this isn’t the NBA. In the NHL:

- teams play up to superior competition
- teams play down to inferior competition

Both of these things happened against the Penguins. I expect the same to happen to Carolina. In addition they’re a lot more wet behind the ears than Pitt.

This will be a huge challenge, but we’re not going to get swept 5-0 every game.

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
How long is Goodrow out for? His presence is missed.

No updates on Blais? At all? He should be skating by now I would think?
I'm pretty sure Goodrow broke his ankle, so I would guess we don't see him again. Blais, though, yeah, you would think he started skating by now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad