Rangers hire Gerard Gallant as their next head coach

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Seattle wants a new face, not the same coach who did the last expansion franchise
Sometimes there is an advantage to hiring someone who knows their way around a situation. Why should someone new have to go in and re-invent the wheel, especially when the prior person had so much success?

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I'm not coronating them, and to be fair I would be more hesitant if it was a rival of ours like Calgary. But this is a hockey message board and my initial inkling is that this is a really good hire and, if I'm right, the NHL just became little more difficult for other teams.
Agreed on that end. Even if i despise them, i get why he was hired.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't think they have what it takes to play a mature game yet. Gifted offensively but very soft and very porous defensively. Florida and Vegas both designed their teams for Gallant upon his arrival. I think the Rangers are going to be very active on the trade front to accommodate Gallant
Other than -like I said- Strome, I'm not sure who you would look at on the roster and say "oh that's never gonna work."

Kreider and Zibanejad were both regarded as high-motor, 200 foot players before last year. Buchnevich is nasty and plays good defense. Panarin played for Torts and they got along fine. Lafreniere has been highly touted for his compete level. Kakko was asked to focus on his defense this year and turned in elite defensive metrics (and got benched anyway, that's part of the problem).

They were guilty of leaning on East-West plays with the puck a lot but that's because 1) players lean on their talent when they're playing with no structure and 2) Quinn's idea of accountably was "are you 23 or older?"

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
After the World Championship win, there was no doubt he'd be picked up by someone.

He upped his stock without question the way he got that team to a Gold medal victory after the rocky start.

One heck of a coaching job and comeback.

Yes, rosters at this years WHC weren’t as strong as some other years but it was still good competitive hockey played at a high level.

Canada started as the 8th and final seed in the playoff rounds and proceeded to knock off the #1, #2, and #3 seed to win Gold in epic fashion in OT.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
This should be an entertaining 2021-2022 season for NYR.

What are Gallant's views on horrifying acts of violence?

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Wont be a good hire; Rangers are a finesse and skill team, Gallant works well with tough systems and cycling/defense.

Hes going to get them more wins than Quinn so by virtue its a better coach. But he wont get nearly as much out of Kakko and Lafreniere as a newer-school coach would

Rangers gonna Ranger though and hire the biggest dollar name

If he can do what he did with Barkov and Huberdeau with Kakko and Laf then we are aight

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Cyclones21

Easily Triggered
Wont be a good hire; Rangers are a finesse and skill team, Gallant works well with tough systems and cycling/defense.

Hes going to get them more wins than Quinn so by virtue its a better coach. But he wont get nearly as much out of Kakko and Lafreniere as a newer-school coach would

Rangers gonna Ranger though and hire the biggest dollar name

You know they put a cap in-place in 2005 and they hired a college coach last go around? I mean if you posted this in 2002, I would join you on the criticism. I hated the way they spent money.

Cyclones21

Easily Triggered
i'll wait on them first. the rangers first step is to make the playoffs. then i'll take them seriously. for now, i get its a good hire but he has yet to coach a single game and i don't know what offseason moves they'll do.

ShiroganeKvasha30 - I appreciate the objectivity and will admit, I'd rather make news the way you guys are at the moment. Like any change, it's different - there will be a "honeymoon period" but come November - who knows. Your coach has set a lofty standard.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
ShiroganeKvasha30 - I appreciate the objectivity and will admit, I'd rather make news the way you guys are at the moment. Like any change, it's different - there will be a "honeymoon period" but come November - who knows. Your coach has set a lofty standard.
I think the standard should be someone like evason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad