Panfork

Pacioretty Hater
Feb 1, 2010
NY
Hagelin - Stepan - Nash
Kreider - Brassard - Zuke
Clowe - Richards - Callahan
Pyatt - Powe - Asham

These are the lines I hope to see if Boyle is injured and out of the line up.

That 2nd line has absolutely no forecheck. Zucc would be the puckchaser, and while I admire his effort, he gets beat too often to be the guy to rely on to lead the forecheck. He does amazing considering his size, but it still limits him. Maybe switch Kreider and Clowe.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I think we'll make the playoffs, but honestly, that's it.

The team just isn't very good as a whole, right now. Honestly, if we were to have kept the roster exactly the same as last year, and added Clowe at the deadline, I think we'd be a lot better off.

Its been a disappointing campaign. They haven't shown me they have the stuff to win a 7 game series vs the Penguins.

Bardof425*

first time this season so disappointed in the team.. all i know is DZ played very well tonight and Moore.. both were the only highlights..

Im done with richards.. guy deserves to be on the bench.. i never ranted about him before during the year, but enough is enough.. guy has no stones and drive to play..

0-5 is embarassing.. we played bad yes.. 0-5 on the PP shame shame shame.. just brutal..

Moore was good, DZ sucked! We have some people who just love this guy and will compliment even on nights when he is making bad decisions, bad passes and lazy attempts at clears. Yikes. DZ was good. Wow.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Often I wonder... Is a guy like Matt Gilroy absolutely loving life right now?

I mean, the dude gets paid to practice some mornings, and watch hockey games some nights. It's pretty clear on the depth chart that Gilroy isn't going to play another game this season, so he has to be living the life, right?

Then I remember, well, this guy made it to the NHL so his competitive spirit is probably through the roof and it kills him to not be playing most nights. But who knows.

He'll likely be able to find a gig somewhere in the NHL, or at the very least the AHL, next season, where he can again try to prove that he belongs at the NHL level. But right now, this guys living my dream! :laugh:

Also, this from practice today:

Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord 1m
Lines, keeping in mind no Boyle or Stepan: Clowe-Brassard-Nash, Pyatt-Richards-Zuccarello, Hagelin-Powe-Callahan/Asham. Doesn't mean much.

Doesn't mean much? LOL. Our beat writers, let me tell ya.

Pretty clear to me that opening the game against Florida the lines will be...

Clowe - Brass - Nash
Hagelin - Stepan - Callahan
Boyle (if healthy) - Richards - Zuccarello
Pyatt - Powe - Asham

But nah, our beat writers can't fathom that some people are just place holders for others when they aren't skating at practice.

WHEN IN ALL REALITY it should be:

Nash - Stepan - Zuccarello
Hagelin - Brassard - Callahan
Clowe - Richards - Boyle
Pyatt/Haley - Powe - Asham

Stupid team.

MrEctions

Willy Nilly
Apr 24, 2007
Clinton, Ny
Obviously I'm not an NHL coach, but the thing that stood out most to me on the PP was the "dump and chase" dump-ins trying to gain the zone. How can you retain puck possesion if you just dump it in from center ice to let the defensemen on the PK just catch the dump-in and toss it back out?

That boggled my mind.

I said this same thing. We literally dumped it in from center ice on the PP, then went and made a change. I was like are you ****ing serious. Dump in on the PP with no forecheck. It was a Richards slapshot IIRC. Mind boggling to say the least.

JD123

Mar 6, 2013
You're all crazy if you think Torts is going anywhere.

Only way I see Torts getting canned is if the Rangers miss the playoffs this year and next.

unfortunately, very true. I don't think the HEAD idiot GM wants to go through another coach during his infinite tenure.

JD123

Mar 6, 2013
People said the same thing about Perry Pearn. He was the reason for the bad power play. One he was gone it would miraculously improve 5%. As others have said, Sullivan is nothing more than a scapegoat for those who refuse to accept reality.

Well Said! Maybe its the personnel that makes up the powerplay :sarcasm:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
People said the same thing about Perry Pearn. He was the reason for the bad power play. One he was gone it would miraculously improve 5%. As others have said, Sullivan is nothing more than a scapegoat for those who refuse to accept reality.

What reality is that exactly? That the Rangers are cursed and no matter what personel they try their powerplay will always suck because Rangers? That seems logical. Way more logical than the problem being the coach.

Championship*

So it's impossible to replace one person incapable of running a PP with another person incapable?
If its not the coach, and it's not the players, what is it? Voodoo?

Championship*

I think people are hinting that it is the man assembling the players.

So then it's the players. A PP is affected by 2 things, The Players and the direction. If the players are no good then that's fine, but we have talent.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
What reality is that exactly? That the Rangers are cursed and no matter what personel they try their powerplay will always suck because Rangers? That seems logical. Way more logical than the problem being the coach.

Reality is we are in a slump. Reality is prior to the Islanders game we had been operating at like 35% or something over the previous 6 games. They quoted it on NBC. Reality is no team is perfect. Reality is that people on these boards will always find something to nitpick at. Reality is that firing Mike Sullivan will help our Power Play as much as it did when we fired Perry Pearn.

IMO if we played a highly offensive run and gun system we would have a much more successful power play because that mindset would be engrained in the players minds. We don't play that way. We think defense first and it is even evident on our power play.

Championship*

Reality is we are in a slump. Reality is prior to the Islanders game we had been operating at like 35% or something over the previous 6 games. They quoted it on NBC. Reality is no team is perfect. Reality is that people on these boards will always find something to nitpick at. Reality is that firing Mike Sullivan will help our Power Play as much as it did when we fired Perry Pearn.

IMO if we played a highly offensive run and gun system we would have a much more successful power play because that mindset would be engrained in the players minds. We don't play that way. We think defense first and it is even evident on our power play.

Consistentcy. There's a difference between slumping and the incredible, roller coaster like ups and downs this team goes through. This team isn't consistent enough to call what they are going through right now a slump. This is the norm.

Again, is it impossible to replace one incompetent with another? What's the cause? Let's not act like Pearn went on to great things after he left the Rangers.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
Torts has lost the room.

If you don't think so then I question your understanding of what it means to actually HAVE the room.

If Torts still had the room, then the team doesn't come out flat like this.

If Torts still had the room, then the way they played in the 3rd would have started immediately following the Schenn gift goal.

Callahan, the Captain, rarely sets the tone of games. Hes the Captain, he doesn't have the natural ability to lead the way offensively, but he does have the ability to set the tone physically. He hasn't been doing much of that at all this season. Why is that?

If the coach has the Captain, then this is not happening with such alarming regularity.

If Torts still had the room, other guys would be stepping into that void created by Callahan's refusal/reluctance to do that job.

Torts has lost the room and when that happens, you see half assed efforts alot more often than you see complete games.

Another thing:

Tort's system is perimeter in nature. Board work, behind the goal? Where is the net front presence in his system. If the forwards are all working below the hash marks and behind the net, who's in the crease creating havoc?

His system flawed in it's design and one that will never win in this current NHL.

We need truculence throughout the line up. I say bring in a Raffi Torres if we can. Guys like that, that play with emotion. Play with their hearts on their sleeves. Guys that are willing to initiate contact and take joy in doing it. Guys that go TO the net with reckless abandon. Guys that go over the edge sometimes. It provides an element of "WTF is he going to do next"

There's way to many passengers on this team and being Captain, Callahan is the biggest culprit this season.

Torts is the navigator, but he has given them directions on how to get around the destination.

We need a coach that will provide directions on how to get STRAIGHT TO the destination.

I'm all over the place I know. I'm just not happy witht he effort the last 3-4 games when better efforts are mandated.

Disappointing.

I actually don't think you are that far off the mark...maybe everybody can flat out pray...even the non religious people here just so we can get Sather fired and then a new President will hire a new GM and a new GM will hire a new coach . It is all just so simple...if only Dolan knew it .

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Consistentcy. There's a difference between slumping and the incredible, roller coaster like ups and downs this team goes through. This team isn't consistent enough to call what they are going through right now a slump. This is the norm.

Again, is it impossible to replace one incompetent with another? What's the cause? Let's not act like Pearn went on to great things after he left the Rangers.

Those words never came out of my mouth. However, he was not as bad as people made him out to be.

16 To Stanley*

Caps fan here, Im rooting for you guys. I dont think the Peg stands a chance against the Pens and think you guys match up pretty well. They dont got a lundqvist! Dude can steal any playoff series.

I'm still rooting for us to play you in the playoffs.

No way we get past the pens.

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
Finally the majority of the fan base is fed up with Tortorella and his half assed system. No net presence, 3 guys endlessly cycling behind the net resulting in tired forwards and a defense who is hung out to dry, resulting in someone making a mistake, and the puck in our net. So sick of this teams compete level, nursing home on ice. I guess Richards does have an impact after all, he stinks up the ice, bench, and locker room. $12 Million folks, well spent eh?

Dangleberry

Feb 21, 2012
Queens, NY
Often I wonder... Is a guy like Matt Gilroy absolutely loving life right now?

I mean, the dude gets paid to practice some mornings, and watch hockey games some nights. It's pretty clear on the depth chart that Gilroy isn't going to play another game this season, so he has to be living the life, right?

Then I remember, well, this guy made it to the NHL so his competitive spirit is probably through the roof and it kills him to not be playing most nights. But who knows.

He'll likely be able to find a gig somewhere in the NHL, or at the very least the AHL, next season, where he can again try to prove that he belongs at the NHL level. But right now, this guys living my dream! :laugh:

Also, this from practice today:

Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord 1m
Lines, keeping in mind no Boyle or Stepan: Clowe-Brassard-Nash, Pyatt-Richards-Zuccarello, Hagelin-Powe-Callahan/Asham. Doesn't mean much.

Doesn't mean much? LOL. Our beat writers, let me tell ya.

Pretty clear to me that opening the game against Florida the lines will be...

Clowe - Brass - Nash
Hagelin - Stepan - Callahan
Boyle (if healthy) - Richards - Zuccarello
Pyatt - Powe - Asham

But nah, our beat writers can't fathom that some people are just place holders for others when they aren't skating at practice.

WHEN IN ALL REALITY it should be:

Nash - Stepan - Zuccarello
Hagelin - Brassard - Callahan
Clowe - Richards - Boyle
Pyatt/Haley - Powe - Asham

Stupid team.

It doesn't mean much because the lines will be jumbled at least 5 times during the game and you know it.

16 To Stanley*

After 3 seasons or whatever you think you guys would get that the line combos don't mean ****

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
I'm sure this has been said but why want the heartache of losing in the playoffs? The Rangers are really good at breaking us fan's hearts. If they do make the playoffs it just prolongs that ****** feeling. Maybe this is just my hangover sadness from last night's loss talking? I dunno, 99% of me wants them to make the playoffs but that 1% just knows if they do then the outcome is already known. #sappysapperton

Championship*

I'm sure this has been said but why want the heartache of losing in the playoffs? The Rangers are really good at breaking us fan's hearts. If they do make the playoffs it just prolongs that ****** feeling. Maybe this is just my hangover sadness from last night's loss talking? I dunno, 99% of me wants them to make the playoffs but that 1% just knows if they do then the outcome is already known. #sappysapperton

We don't have a 1st this year so losing in 4 games to the penguins to me is preferable to giving Columbus a pick that could theoretically be 1st overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad