Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Flyers | 4/16/13 | Backups

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
last year you believed they could win any game even if it was by one painfully gained goal.
this year you wonder if they can score one goal much less a game winner.
ugly hockey either way
Coach Messier sounds good to me

If there is a God in heaven, and he actually listens to prayers, I Pray to him now that this NEVER happens.

Please God.

AMEN

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
You know what's pretty pathetic...

If we had gotten a lucky goal on one of our 40 shots and won this game in a shoot out, you'd all be calling it a heart and soul comeback and a game we deserved to win.

Not me.

I'd say we lucked out again just like we lucked out against teh Islanders.

This team has let the Merc. mindset creep back in.

There's no pride in playing for their teammates.

I would have taken the point had we stolen one, but this was a disappointing effort especially considering how they played in the 3rd. The way that should be playing EVERY PERIOD.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
The offseason plan should be to fire Clownarella, buyout Richards and go get Stephen Weiss. Trade Del Zotto for help on the wings and sign a veteran defenseman. John Moore is a way better skater than Del Zaster and doesn't have as many derpy derp moments. Have Moore take his minutes and run the point on the power play. Staal will be back and sign a good solid veteran 6th defenseman, someone like Shane O'Brien if he's available.

Frozen North

Healthy Scratch
Oct 8, 2002
OK
Visit site
Obviously I'm not an NHL coach, but the thing that stood out most to me on the PP was the "dump and chase" dump-ins trying to gain the zone. How can you retain puck possesion if you just dump it in from center ice to let the defensemen on the PK just catch the dump-in and toss it back out?

That boggled my mind.

Shadowtron

Feb 27, 2002
Earth
I decided to skip this game the second I saw that the Jets were playing the Lightning. LOL!! Had Rangers letdown written all over it.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Torts has lost the room.

If you don't think so then I question your understanding of what it means to actually HAVE the room.

If Torts still had the room, then the team doesn't come out flat like this.

If Torts still had the room, then the way they played in the 3rd would have started immediately following the Schenn gift goal.

Callahan, the Captain, rarely sets the tone of games. Hes the Captain, he doesn't have the natural ability to lead the way offensively, but he does have the ability to set the tone physically. He hasn't been doing much of that at all this season. Why is that?

If the coach has the Captain, then this is not happening with such alarming regularity.

If Torts still had the room, other guys would be stepping into that void created by Callahan's refusal/reluctance to do that job.

Torts has lost the room and when that happens, you see half assed efforts alot more often than you see complete games.

Another thing:

Tort's system is perimeter in nature. Board work, behind the goal? Where is the net front presence in his system. If the forwards are all working below the hash marks and behind the net, who's in the crease creating havoc?

His system flawed in it's design and one that will never win in this current NHL.

We need truculence throughout the line up. I say bring in a Raffi Torres if we can. Guys like that, that play with emotion. Play with their hearts on their sleeves. Guys that are willing to initiate contact and take joy in doing it. Guys that go TO the net with reckless abandon. Guys that go over the edge sometimes. It provides an element of "WTF is he going to do next"

There's way to many passengers on this team and being Captain, Callahan is the biggest culprit this season.

Torts is the navigator, but he has given them directions on how to get around the destination.

We need a coach that will provide directions on how to get STRAIGHT TO the destination.

I'm all over the place I know. I'm just not happy witht he effort the last 3-4 games when better efforts are mandated.

Disappointing.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Obviously I'm not an NHL coach, but the thing that stood out most to me on the PP was the "dump and chase" dump-ins trying to gain the zone. How can you retain puck possesion if you just dump it in from center ice to let the defensemen on the PK just catch the dump-in and toss it back out?

That boggled my mind.

I was throwing up my hands every time they did that as well. If you can't carry the puck in, fine - dump it in. But for christssake you need to have two men on the puck immediately.

Thats the biggest problem I see with the Rangers PP. They dont play it like they do even strength. The forwards and D stay in their lanes and dont support the first man in on the puck. You are up a man on the PP, so even if you send three guys into the corner against one of the opposition to recover the puck and set up, its not the end of the world if you're only outmanned 3-2 on the other side.

The Rangers refuse to double and triple team the puck in those situations, especially when they dump it in and thats why the puck just comes right back down into their zone almost every time.

A hard around to the other wing, but only one Ranger is there. How is that a good PP scheme? Its a 40/60 chance you retain the puck because it has to pass behind the goal first with a goalie and a defenseman or two there.

A soft dump in into the corner, with one Ranger a second late to the puck and the others hardly gaining the zone. Thats worse than a 5 on 5 dump in, with even less of a chance to retain the puck.

bmw2004

Mar 8, 2006
Brooklyn, N.Y.
Torts has lost the room.

If you don't think so then I question your understanding of what it means to actually HAVE the room.

If Torts still had the room, then the way they played in the 3rd would have started immediately following the Schenn gift goal.

Callahan, the Captain, rarely sets the tone of games. Hes the Captain, he doesn't have the natural ability to lead the way offensively, but he does have the ability to set the tone physically. He hasn't been doing much of that at all this season. Why is that?

If the coach has the Captain, then this is not happening with such alarming regularity.

If Torts still had the room, other guys would be stepping into that void created by Callahan's refusal/reluctance to do that job.

Torts has lost the room and when that happens, you see half assed efforts alot more often than you see complete games.

Another thing:

Tort's system is perimeter in nature. Board work, behind the goal? Where is the net front presence in his system. If the forwards are all working below the hash marks and behind the net, who's in the crease creating havoc?

His system flawed in it's design and one that will never win in this current NHL.

We need truculence throughout the line up. I say bring in a Raffi Torres if we can. Guys like that, that play with emotion. Play with their hearts on their sleeves. Guys that are willing to initiate contact and take joy in doing it. Guys that go TO the net with reckless abandon. Guys that go over the edge sometimes. It provides an element of "WTF is he going to do next"

There's way to many passengers on this team and being Captain, Callahan is the biggest culprit this season.

Torts is the navigator, but he has given them directions on how to get around the destination.

We need a coach that will provide directions on how to get STRAIGHT TO the destination.

I'm all over the place I know. I'm just not happy witht he effort the last 3-4 games when better efforts are mandated.

Disappointing.

Nicely said. 100% correct!!!!!

16 To Stanley*

That boggled my mind.

I was flipping out every time this was happening. I remember one play yesterday where Girardi actually dumped it in on the PP and he was the ONLY guy who chased. Why the **** is our offensively inept defensemen the only guy chasing the puck offensively on a ****ing PP?

I'm not a coach either but I've watched hockey since the day I was born and been to about 500+ games. I don't think I'm a know it all, but by all means this can't be a good method. The only way I see this working is if we have Hags and Kreider playing and speeding into the zone the SECOND it is dumped from center ice. Even then it seems stupid to me but it might be slightly more effective.

Having Clowe and Richards and whoever else is slow as **** chase after it just seems moot to me.

Timmonen had the penalty kill made in the shade for him last night.

LittleKev6D9

Unregistered User
Dec 14, 2011
Middletown
You're all crazy if you think Torts is going anywhere.

Only way I see Torts getting canned is if the Rangers miss the playoffs this year and next.

Unfortunately, I feel the same way. My heart says he is gone, but my mind says he will be here next year.

It's a shame, because this team has the skill and skating (minus Boyle, Clowe and Pyatt) to open up the game and play a more creative style, but Torts :)facepalm:) is too stubborn to change anything up.

Shadowtron

Feb 27, 2002
Earth
Torts has lost the room.

Another thing:

Disappointing.

Kel Varnsen disagrees with you. ALL of you!

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

That boggled my mind.

It works if you actually chase down the puck and win the battles, but yes, they shouldn't need to do it as much on the PP.

At the end of the game, they must have turned it over 5 times in a row at the blue line because they didn't dump and chase.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
here's the issue I have with the dump and chase.

If you send it hard around on the Right side. Don't send the troops in on that same side. Stop going where the puck WAS and start going where the puck is HEADED.

Hard dump down the right side, send 2 guys down the left side.

Hard dump down the left side, send 2 guys down the right side.

Additionally, this team doesn't know what to do with the puck when they are going for a line change. I watched Richards skate the puck back into his own zone last night and actually create a chance for the Flyers because he didn't know what to do with the puck.

Defenceman stand still, three guys on the ice getting pressured.

Happens 3-4 times a game.

disgusting.

Bardof425*

Hagelin - Stepan - Nash
Kreider - Brassard - Zuke
Clowe - Richards - Callahan
Pyatt - Powe - Asham

These are the lines I hope to see if Boyle is injured and out of the line up.

Agree 1000%.

If you are down by a goal in a close to must win game with less than five minutes left and Darrell Powe gets two shifts, you do not have enough forward depth. I know if Boyle didn't get hurt, Powe wouldn't have played. Does that get us any closer to the equalizer???

Torts will not dress a linuep that can score in his system; he just wants to defend. And on a night where hank is average we lose.

Vabeachblue

Dec 5, 2010
Va
Caps fan here, Im rooting for you guys. I dont think the Peg stands a chance against the Pens and think you guys match up pretty well. They dont got a lundqvist! Dude can steal any playoff series.

Championship*

Caps fan here, Im rooting for you guys. I dont think the Peg stands a chance against the Pens and think you guys match up pretty well. They dont got a lundqvist! Dude can steal any playoff series.

Fun fact: The Rangers have never beaten the Penguins in the playoffs

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I love how Callahan knows that "every game is a playoff game" right now, but still comes out flat. He is supposed to be the heart of this team, and it looks like he's experienced heart failure.

Team has no urgency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad