Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Flyers | 4/16/13 | Backups

The Perfect Paradox

Beyond Good and Evil
Aug 16, 2007
New York
I'm sure this has been said but why want the heartache of losing in the playoffs? The Rangers are really good at breaking us fan's hearts. If they do make the playoffs it just prolongs that ****** feeling. Maybe this is just my hangover sadness from last night's loss talking? I dunno, 99% of me wants them to make the playoffs but that 1% just knows if they do then the outcome is already known. #sappysapperton

That 1% becomes trivial if you expect them to lose, at least for me. If the Rangers have taught me anything about being a diehard sports fan, it's that you must set low expectations for everything. That one game or season in which you set your expectations too high is the one that hurts the most and usually teaches you a lesson. :laugh:

-----------
After last night's performance, I have absolutely zero confidence in this team. Ever since that first Maple Leafs game, this team's effort has been questionable at best. It's a shame too considering the performance they put about against the Pens two games in a row. Don't get me wrong, the Pens were without three of their best five players, but we skated hard and actually showed some creativity.

I don't think they'll start firing on all cylinders come playoff time (if they're even in), but I have a feeling that they would actually made some noise if they played to their potential. It's just so damn frustrating to watch.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2012
NY
My dad describes the Flyers defense perfectly: It's like having 4 Bickels in there, and then some random goalie from nowhere. That's who the Rangers couldn't solve last night. So irritating.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
My dad describes the Flyers defense perfectly: It's like having 4 Bickels in there, and then some random goalie from nowhere. That's who the Rangers couldn't solve last night. So irritating.

But your dad omits the team that has the same capability of shooting the puck like a 3rd grade hockey team.

Outside of Nash, who can easily put the puck behind the net? Stepan? And?

It's like how Sam says Girardi passes the puck by shooting it against the board and it jumps to the front. He's been doing it so many times even when such a thing is not warranted that I honestly believe that's just him attempting a lame ass shot.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
But your dad omits the team that has the same capability of shooting the puck like a 3rd grade hockey team.

Outside of Nash, who can easily put the puck behind the net? Stepan? And?

It's like how Sam says Girardi passes the puck by shooting it against the board and it jumps to the front. He's been doing it so many times even when such a thing is not warranted that I honestly believe that's just him attempting a lame ass shot.
Still no excuse that a team with Brassard, Clowe, Beaver, Steps, Nash, Hags, and "Captain" couldn't score more than 2 goals on whatever it was we played yesterday.

"We don't practice offense" sounds like truth to me.

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
Still no excuse that a team with Brassard, Clowe, Beaver, Steps, Nash, Hags, and "Captain" couldn't score more than 2 goals on whatever it was we played yesterday.

"We don't practice offense" sounds like truth to me.

He's been here for how many seasons and what have you seen from players in improving their shot? How many years now has it been since we've seen a team that consistently attempts one timers?

If I were GM of the Rangers, I'm demanding the players show up 3 weeks earlier to camp and have players do nothing but shooting drills. I'm sick and tired of hearing high and wide.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
He's been here for how many seasons and what have you seen from players in improving their shot? How many years now has it been since we've seen a team that consistently attempts one timers?

If I were GM of the Rangers, I'm demanding the players show up 3 weeks earlier to camp and have players do nothing but shooting drills. I'm sick and tired of hearing high and wide.

Kind of funny that when the new guys got to the Garden 20 minutes before the game with no practice, we have our biggest scoring output of the season. (Before they got to "practice" with Torts.)

I'm convinced that a prime Wayne Gretzky would have 60 points under this system and we would be shut out in 10/82 games every season.

Apr 10, 2012
has a video been posted of the giroux headhunt on stepan yet? it's 1st shift of the 3rd, there's a replay about 20-30s after that shows it better. w/o a doubt the puck is gone. looks extremely similar to the hit from white that just got 5 games.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
has a video been posted of the giroux headhunt on stepan yet? it's 1st shift of the 3rd, there's a replay about 20-30s after that shows it better. w/o a doubt the puck is gone. looks extremely similar to the hit from white that just got 5 games.

yep, when i saw it i was like...how the hell is that not a suspendable play?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Reality is we are in a slump. Reality is prior to the Islanders game we had been operating at like 35% or something over the previous 6 games. They quoted it on NBC. Reality is no team is perfect. Reality is that people on these boards will always find something to nitpick at. Reality is that firing Mike Sullivan will help our Power Play as much as it did when we fired Perry Pearn.

IMO if we played a highly offensive run and gun system we would have a much more successful power play because that mindset would be engrained in the players minds. We don't play that way. We think defense first and it is even evident on our power play.

Well yeah, maybe we should like, not do that. Which is a coaching issue.

16 To Stanley*

we played so badly i actually forgot about this. why is this not a bigger deal.

Apr 10, 2012
yep, when i saw it i was like...how the hell is that not a suspendable play?

worse than the nash hit for sure. the nash hit looked like he MIGHT have accidentally hit him and just left the feet in an attempt to avoid (in a perfect world) in this hit giroux clearly throws the shoulder at stepan's head while the puck is nowhere near him

okay... as bad

nbc caught it, why didn't the league?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Callahan's play on the ice has left me unsatisfied, but I will continue to be on board with the way he carries himself.

A leader doesn't let his emotions out of the privacy of the dressing room. The press gets vanilla and they like it. People said the same thing about Eli Manning. We all know what he's done. Hell Jean Beliveau was very quiet and dull. He has his name on the Cup what, 17 times? The best leaders are usually reserved in the public eye.

Messier and his big mouth were the exception, not the rule.

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
People said the same thing about Perry Pearn. He was the reason for the bad power play. One he was gone it would miraculously improve 5%. As others have said, Sullivan is nothing more than a scapegoat for those who refuse to accept reality.

Not for nothing but this team is WAY more talented than Renney's rosters. And I could be guessing here but I wouldn't be surprised if those rosters practiced offense or the power play instead of "staying out of the way offensively".

16 To Stanley*

Callahan's play on the ice has left me unsatisfied, but I will continue to be on board with the way he carries himself.

A leader doesn't let his emotions out of the privacy of the dressing room. The press gets vanilla and they like it. People said the same thing about Eli Manning. We all know what he's done. Hell Jean Beliveau was very quiet and dull. He has his name on the Cup what, 17 times? The best leaders are usually reserved in the public eye.

Messier and his big mouth were the exception, not the rule.

This is a pile of ****. There's a happy medium between being Vanilla and calling out your teammates. I don't expect him to pull a giguere but showing emotion like Lundqvist, I expect.

Callahan had no problem calling out the fans two years ago when they got on Roszival for playing like ****.

It's a two way street. We should expect more of him if he's expecting more of us. Last time i checked, he's not the one paying to see me do anything.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This is a pile of ****. There's a happy medium between being Vanilla and calling out your teammates. I don't expect him to pull a giguere but showing emotion like Lundqvist, I expect.

Callahan had no problem calling out the fans two years ago when they got on Roszival for playing like ****.

It's a two way street. We should expect more of him if he's expecting more of us. Last time i checked, he's not the one paying to see me do anything.

I don't like the way Lundqvist clearly shows frustration with his teammates. I don't care if your playing with 19 guys off the street -which would be probably be an improvement at this point- they're still your teammates.

I was very upset with Lundqvist when he yelled at his teammates in Ottawa this year. That's one area where I wish he'd be more like Callahan. Of course I wish Callahan were more like Lundqvist in pretty much every other aspect.

Aug 2, 2005
New York, NY

He is paid to play. Nothing more. Derek Jeter and Eli Manning are leaders who have won multiple championships without saying anything negative about their teammates in the press. He gives it everything he has on the ice. I will take that every day of the week.

EDIT:
"You can hear it. It's a lot of people screaming. You definitely can hear it," said Callahan, whose first goal of the season in the second period was the game-winner. "It's unfortunate. I know it gets under my skin a bit when it happens.

"It's disappointing to hear the boos come from the stands. We know in this room that he means a lot to us and we know what he does. It's unfortunate that he gets that kind of reception in our building. I don't think it's right and I don't think he should."

There is the Cally comment re: Rozsival from 2010. He was asked about it by a reporter. What's he supposed to do? Not defend his teammate? Pretty innocuous if you ask me.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
He is paid to play. Nothing more. Derek Jeter and Eli Manning are leaders who have won multiple championships without saying anything negative about their teammates in the press. He gives it everything he has on the ice. I will take that every day of the week.

EDIT:

There is the Cally comment re: Rozsival from 2010. He was asked about it by a reporter. What's he supposed to do? Not defend his teammate? Pretty innocuous if you ask me.

Lol can't wait until the Garden crowd starts booing Beaver and they ask Cally about it.

Remember when they asked Torts about the Tort-o-rella chant in Winnipeg? lol.

Aug 2, 2005
New York, NY
Lol can't wait until the Garden crowd starts booing Beaver and they ask Cally about it.

Remember when they asked Torts about the Tort-o-rella chant in Winnipeg? lol.

I'm honestly a little surprised Richards has not heard boo birds. Before Rozsival, people booed Poti when the PA announced his goals/assists which was ridiculous in my opinion.

I don't advocate it, just find it interesting.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
I'm honestly a little surprised Richards has not heard boo birds. Before Rozsival, people booed Poti when the PA announced his goals/assists which was ridiculous in my opinion.

I don't advocate it, just find it interesting.

I've noticed that if let's say, he and anyone else get an assist on a goal, the other player will receive louder applause this year. It's going to happen very soon.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

EDIT:

Obviously he should have said "Rozsival? Yeah that guy sucks." That goes over big.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Of all the things to take away from this game, I take this away:

"Also poignant in the Rangers’ room was a despondent Brad Richards just sitting alone at his locker stall, not leaving to get a shower or making any move other than holding his head in his hands. Finally, Ryan McDonagh went over to talk to the struggling veteran."

If that's not insight into this team and their complete lack of confidence I don't know what is.

Oh, well maybe this:

“You try to stay positive,” Lundqvist said, not looking very positive. “But a lot of times it’s the magic number to reach the three goals. You will win a lot of games when you score three goals."

Apr 10, 2012
Of all the things to take away from this game, I take this away:

"Also poignant in the Rangers’ room was a despondent Brad Richards just sitting alone at his locker stall, not leaving to get a shower or making any move other than holding his head in his hands. Finally, Ryan McDonagh went over to talk to the struggling veteran."

Fire Callahan, McD for captain!... cause SOMETHING has to change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad