Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Flyers (3-2) [W]

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Brian Boyle.

The phrase is supposed to insinuate that only the best goal scorers can actually score said goal, like when Semin rips a wrister top shelf or Stamkos loads up the cannon on the PP. It just gets used so frequently and in most cases incorrectly by play by play guys that it's meaning is closer to what you suggested.
I think however its used, its completely meaningless.

Stamkos is a good goal scorer because of the quantity of the goals he scores, not the quality.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
I think however its used, its completely meaningless.

Stamkos is a good goal scorer because of the quantity of the goals he scores, not the quality.

Yes and no.

If he didn't score high quality goals would he score as many?

That's what separates him from average goal scores.

But I do agree the phrase is silly, not so much when used to describe a player on HF as when it's used by announcers who have nothing original to say. At least when you read it in a description you know what the person is trying to say, instead of when someone deflects one off their skate and the announcer says it.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Yes and no.

If he didn't score high quality goals would he score as many?

That's what separates him from average goal scores.

But I do agree the phrase is silly, not so much when used to describe a player on HF as when it's used by announcers who have nothing original to say. At least when you read it in a description you know what the person is trying to say, instead of when someone deflects one off their skate and the announcer says it.
Yes, and if we didn't have someone tracking the quantity, that might be a useful means of evaluating goal scorers.

But we do, and it isn't.

It's just a way for Bardof to explain to me that only 4 of Brian Boyle's goals actually count.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Yes, and if we didn't have someone tracking the quantity, that might be a useful means of evaluating goal scorers.

But we do, and it isn't.

It's just a way for Bardof to explain to me that only 4 of Brian Boyle's goals actually count.

So all of them?

But I agree to an extent.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
To what extent do you not?

I don't know if we need to continue discussing the pros and cons of the phrase "goal scorer's goal" and its validity. Which is what I was agreeing on, seems you think it's totally useless, whereas I think it's mostly useless.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I think he was the worst player on both nights as well. And I'm a huge Mac supporter and think he will be a good NHL defenseman.

The shift after he screwed up the first goal was like nothing I've ever seen. He ran around out there like a chicken with his head cut off.

Not worried about his development though. Not at all.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I thought McIlrath had some decent shifts but some horrendous one's as well. That missed hip check was embarrassing. It didn't seem like he was too mobile out there at the NHL level. Disappointing.

Zuccarello and Brassard were very good. Their vision out there is unreal. I thought Pouliot worked well with them because they need a guy with some more size on that line. They need a finisher though and im not sure hes that (even though he buried that beauty of a feed from Brassard) I'd give him a shot though, because hes skilled.

Fast and Lindberg look like they can play in NHL. I thought Fast had a great game. He was all over the puck and made some nice decisions. But hell need to think the NHL game a little better. You can see that Lindberg is more seasoned in that regard, and even though he didnt show up on the scoresheet I think hes the type of depth player the Rangers can sneak out there and do some damage because he's responsible on both ends of the rink.

Dominic Moore has to be on this team. (Cant see why he wouldn't) He does so many good things on the ice on the forecheck and can actually pass and shoot. Huge upgrade over a depth guy like Powe from last year if you ask me. (its ashame that Powe is having such a good camp, but even with the goal last night I still don't have a shred of faith in him offensively)

So far in the first two games, Staal's and Moore's (John) play has stood out the most to me. Very encouraging to see.

Dear god, yes... I saw that, and thought he was a 15 year old ice skating and forgot how to stop...

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Re: McIlraths mobility

Did anyone actually believe him when he said his knee was 100%? I thought to myself at the time that it was unlikely given the timetable he laid out.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
When he was 19 playing in the WJC he moved like Datsyuk does in the NHL. He is incredibly difficult to square up for a hit down low or anywhere when he has the puck. He is elusive.

Reading through a thread of hyperbole where people are accusing each other of hyperbole.

Comparing this kid to Datsyuk at any level is my favorite example so far, but I haven't finished the thread yet. Yeah, I understand you are not saying he will be Datsyuk, but geez.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Reading through a thread of hyperbole where people are accusing each other of hyperbole.

Comparing this kid to Datsyuk at any level is my favorite example so far, but I haven't finished the thread yet. Yeah, I understand you are not saying he will be Datsyuk, but geez.

And here we have my one of my biggest pet peeves on HFBoards.

Players can look like another player. Benoit Pouliot looks like Evgeni Malkin out there, but it would take a fool to believe he's as good, or think someone was comparing him being as good as Malkin.

Chris Kreider has a ton of tendencies that remind me of Jeff Carter.

Staal has some tendencies that remind me of Chris Pronger.

Have a field day.

Also, the thing that makes the NHL's best so good is that they're not one trick ponies. Lesser players can be as good or even better then Superstars at a certain trait, even if that said star is great at it. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the OP you quoted. Fast was dynamite in his WJC appearance, and I remember thinking how slippery he was.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I don't know if we need to continue discussing the pros and cons of the phrase "goal scorer's goal" and its validity. Which is what I was agreeing on, seems you think it's totally useless, whereas I think it's mostly useless.

Lets talk about secondary assists. If a player has 70 assists in a season, all of them secondary, shoild he be considered a good a "set up" man or he he a good "set up the set up man" player. Assuming said player pots 20 goals (lets assume they were all quality), should he be paid as a 90 pt player or as a p

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I'm thinking this is our roster:

Kreider-Richards-Nash
Hagelin-Stepan-Callahan
Pouliot-Brassard-Zuccarello
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett

Extra: Pyatt

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Del Zotto
Moore-Stralman

Extras: Falk, Bickel

Lundqvist
Biron

AV said he likes to carry 13 F and 8 D.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
I'm thinking this is our roster:

Kreider-Richards-Nash
Hagelin-Stepan-Callahan
Pouliot-Brassard-Zuccarello
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett

Extra: Pyatt

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Del Zotto
Moore-Stralman

Extras: Falk, Bickel

Lundqvist
Biron

AV said he likes to carry 13 F and 8 D.

OK
How about:

Kreider-Richards-Nash 1
Stepan-Lindberg-Fast 2B
Pouliot-Brassard-Zuccarello 2A
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett 3

Spare: One of Pyatt, Haley, Mash or Asham

This before Hagelin-Callahan return? :naughty:

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
OK
How about:

Kreider-Richards-Nash 1
Stepan-Lindberg-Fast 2B
Pouliot-Brassard-Zuccarello 2A
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett 3

Spare: One of Pyatt, Haley, Mash or Asham

This before Hagelin-Callahan return? :naughty:

Except that you would never move Step to wing. All of his value lies in his ability to be a great center. Move the kid, Lindberg, to the wing if anything.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I'll never forget the hysteria when Gilroy was sent down to Hartford during his rookie year when he really should have started the season there all along. And then Brooks added to the madness by suggesting that Rozy should have been sent down instead.

But OTC, don't you remember, a large group was dead certain that Michael Rozsival was maybe the worst D in the entire league (litterary) and could not for the life of them understand how Renney could play Rozi over Gilroy (or Baranka or Lampman and co). Not to mention Malik...

We still ***** and moan a lot, but to be honest, there isn't much on these boards nowadays that is really hard to stand. That used to be the case.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Except that you would never move Step to wing. All of his value lies in his ability to be a great center. Move the kid, Lindberg, to the wing if anything.

He becomes less effective then. His FO's and defensive game are off the charts, moving him to wing wouldn't help him. IMO he needs to center a line.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
And here we have my one of my biggest pet peeves on HFBoards.

Players can look like another player. Benoit Pouliot looks like Evgeni Malkin out there, but it would take a fool to believe he's as good, or think someone was comparing him being as good as Malkin.

Chris Kreider has a ton of tendencies that remind me of Jeff Carter.

Staal has some tendencies that remind me of Chris Pronger.

Have a field day.

Also, the thing that makes the NHL's best so good is that they're not one trick ponies. Lesser players can be as good or even better then Superstars at a certain trait, even if that said star is great at it. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the OP you quoted. Fast was dynamite in his WJC appearance, and I remember thinking how slippery he was.

Yeah, I once struck out a guy with a nasty curve and reminded myself of Blyleven.

Staal and Pronger? Is it that they both wear ice skates when they play?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I make that point frequently in Staal-McDonagh debates.

I don't care a lick about McIlrath's draft position. That's a sunk cost at this point. I want him to succeed, and I like his skillset, but I can't agree with any assessment of his performance last night that doesn't end on bad. He looked like he was always half a step behind the play.

This. I missed watching the game on Tuesday so I had a "benefit" of reading comments before I watched the game for myself. I can't believe how some of you completely dismissed McIlrath's performance (as nerves or trying to show too much) and all types of mistakes he made against Flyers. This preseason he's auditioning for the role of being first (second) in line to get a call during regular season. I'm counting that he is going to perform (much) better during the rest of preseason but there is no way to differently grade his performance on Tuesday - he should get an F for this game.

P.S. For the record I'm supportive of ALL our projects and wholeheartedly hope that all of them pan out as projected. So even though I'm annoyed with posters that 3 years after the draft still bring up other available options at that time (some of them with hindsight to beef up their argument) I don't understand how it's possible to find positives from Tuesday game. My take - (hopefully) it should only get better from now on.

KreiMeARiver*

This. I missed watching the game on Tuesday so I had a "benefit" of reading comments before I watched the game for myself. I can't believe how some of you completely dismissed McIlrath's performance (as nerves or trying to show too much) and all types of mistakes he made against Flyers. This preseason he's auditioning for the role of being first (second) in line to get a call during regular season. I'm counting that he is going to perform (much) better during the rest of preseason but there is no way to differently grade his performance on Tuesday - he should get an F for this game.

P.S. For the record I'm supportive of ALL our projects and wholeheartedly hope that all of them pan out as projected. So even though I'm annoyed with posters that 3 years after the draft still bring up other available options at that time (some of them with hindsight to beef up their argument) I don't understand how it's possible to find positives from Tuesday game. My take - (hopefully) it should only get better from now on.

I agree with this. I'm not very optimistic when it comes to McIlrath, however. He looks bad out there.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Catching up after time off for kidney stones.

Not gonna read 8 pages past. Just sayin', I've said we may have an option in Cam Talbot, with his super fast glove, and while he needs more development of his overall game, I think this test vs. Philly kinda proved my point.

He's a natural to EVENTUALLY return to Buffalo where somebody said his missus has some biz or something goin on. I realize they got 2 backstops on their roster, and no room for Biron until Ryan Miller is dealt; but if they don't have to take someone back, he'd be a great fit there and that would save us $$$ cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad