Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Flyers (3-2) [W]

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Agreed. He's going to need to bulk up, but hopefully not at the expense of his speed and agility. Get him on the Carl Hagelin plan ASAP. Hags is a monster on the puck for a guy of his size. No reason Fast can't use that as the benchmark.

If Fast could become another Hagelin that would be huge for us.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Both players were raved about when they were signed, especially Benny. There's been a certain chaos in the bottom six in terms of who's staying and who's going and whether the kids can crack the roster. I think that's led to the skimming over of the reliable roster guys like Benny and Dominic. Both have looked great so far. No long will we suffer offensively sterile B6 role players in the name of retaining their services on the defensive end of things. The amount of options we now have in D and B6 is refreshing. Let's just hope that enough guys on this roster ends up having a T6 type of year.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011

Fasth is a lot different from Hagelin imo. Similarities between him and Hags are what's going to ground him in this league and on this team. The differences between him and Hags is what's going to make him stand out.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

I think he's better offensively, so I'm hoping for more production out of him. Not that Hags is 'unproductive' by any means. Just think Fast has more offensive gifts. All I meant was that they're similar builds, similar frames and have similar skating ability. Fast could certainly pack on 7-10 lbs and be good to go.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I think he's better offensively, so I'm hoping for more production out of him. Not that Hags is 'unproductive' by any means. Just think Fast has more offensive gifts. All I meant was that they're similar builds, similar frames and have similar skating ability. Fast could certainly pack on 7-10 lbs and be good to go.
Hopefully he doesn't stink so much on the powerplay.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Ugh, Adam Hall. Marcel Hossa was another one when he was young.

That's the great Joe Micheletti spinning every player to be the greatest ever. Remember Voros? He was supposed to make Rangers' fans forget about Avery according to him.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
The Gilroy hype was memorable.

I'll never forget the hysteria when Gilroy was sent down to Hartford during his rookie year when he really should have started the season there all along. And then Brooks added to the madness by suggesting that Rozy should have been sent down instead.

BarbaraAlphanse

Brian Boyle. (Bardof's arch-nemesis in case you're not getting the relevance of my commment).

There's definitely no shortage of strawmanning on this board.

But I like both Kreider AND Boyle :cry:

Maybe it's the BC bias in me.

Bardof425*

Glossing over the rest that we're argued about ad nauseum:

Kreider gets the leg up in your book because his regular season performance has been putrid?

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

No he gets a leg up because he scores goal scorer's goals which makes me believe it will be replecated with time and experience. He also has a history of being big in big spots, which I like.

The comparison is silly anyway; sample too small and they are not vying for the same role. CK will need to perform in the run of the mill game in November as he does in the POs to stick around. Let's see if he can do it. The other guy needs to impress as well as there are some numbers at the forward position now. And Dominic Moore may just be a better option in his role of 4th line center. Up to AV.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
No he gets a leg up because he scores goal scorer's goals which makes me believe it will be replecated with time and experience. He also has a history of being big in big spots, which I like.

The comparison is silly anyway; sample too small and they are not vying for the same role. CK will need to perform in the run of the mill game in November as he does in the POs to stick around. Let's see if he can do it. The other guy needs to impress as well as there are some numbers at the forward position now. And Dominic Moore may just be a better option in his role of 4th line center. Up to AV.
To be fair/objective we still dont know what CK will be yet. he has only played like 20 regular season games mostly for 5 minutes on the 4th line. We know he is a good playoff performer and i am excited to see how AV will use him in a full season

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Brassard looks tremendous. His passing is unreal and he has great chemistry with zucc. That Gaborik trade was great

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
To be fair/objective we still dont know what CK will be yet. he has only played like 20 regular season games mostly for 5 minutes on the 4th line. We know he is a good playoff performer and i am excited to see how AV will use him in a full season
So Kreider's 23 regular season games aren't enough to make a conclusion (I agree), but his 26 playoff games are enough to conclude he's a good playoff performer?

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana

In the NHL? If so I think you have a relatively loose definition for that phrase, he's had one or maybe two goals that I'd classify as "goal scorer's goals" which is kind of a dumb phrase anyway but that's beside the point. Half of his goals have been deflections, and two were open net goals after nice passing plays.

The kid has a nose for the net, I think he'll do really well in front of the net where AV talked today about using him more. Which would be fantastic, but he needs to find a role and become effective at it. Which I am hoping he does, I think it's the fans faults for not really knowing him and thinking he is an all out sniper. I think he has a good shot but I don't think the majority of his goals are going to come by picking corners in the NHL.

In which case you start to understand why people rag on him, they got their info from HF and think he should be blowing past defenders and going top shelf, when he doesn't do that they consider him a bust. I think he was misused by Torts, and his game needs to be adapted to the NHL level. Which I think AV is trying to figure out right now.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
McIlrath handed the Flyers 2 goals on a silver platter last night. It was legitimately scary how poorly he played, regardless of it he was a top 10 pick or not.

Ill be damned if Im going to be lectured on logic by someone like you, who suggested that McIlrath is still with the team because of his play, and not because the team has a lot invested in its top 10 pick.

He made a couple of bad plays and had a game where he looked like a rookie. I have seen 8 year vets have worse games. Your post seems like a large over reaction. I remember when McD was sent down to the AHL instead of Sauer and started playing poorly in his first AHL games that season. Good thing the coaches did not overreact and throw the baby out with the bathwater with McD in a massive overreaction.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
He made a couple of bad plays and had a game where he looked like a rookie. I have seen 8 year vets have worse games. Your post seems like a large over reaction. I remember when McD was sent down to the AHL instead of Sauer and started playing poorly in his first AHL games that season. Good thing the coaches did not overreact and throw the baby out with the bathwater with McD in a massive overreaction.

Byfgulien had a pretty bad game last night from the little I saw of it, he was out of position, gave the puck up several times, and turned it over on the offensive zone blue line after whiffing on a pass.

All goals are goal scorer's goals because who else scores them?

Brian Boyle.

The phrase is supposed to insinuate that only the best goal scorers can actually score said goal, like when Semin rips a wrister top shelf or Stamkos loads up the cannon on the PP. It just gets used so frequently and in most cases incorrectly by play by play guys that it's meaning is closer to what you suggested.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
So Kreider's 23 regular season games aren't enough to make a conclusion (I agree), but his 26 playoff games are enough to conclude he's a good playoff performer?
I meant so far he has done better in the playoffs than the regular season. Its all on kreider now i agree 100%. So far i like what AV has been using him in front of the net which is where he should be

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
I meant so far he has done better in the playoffs than the regular season. Its all on kreider now i agree 100%. So far i like what AV has been using him in front of the net which is where he should be

I think it could be a very advantageous place for him to play, he'll still score some nice goals off the wing on the rush but being the clean up guy for Nash/Richards certainly isn't a bad job. Not an easy one though, and he'll have to be willing to take the punishment, but with his size and strength he shouldn't be easily knocked off the puck.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
I think it could be a very advantageous place for him to play, he'll still score some nice goals off the wing on the rush but being the clean up guy for Nash/Richards certainly isn't a bad job. Not an easy one though, and he'll have to be willing to take the punishment, but with his size and strength he shouldn't be easily knocked off the puck.
I agree. he does have a nice shot too off the wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad