Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Flyers | 1/24/13 : Kill Me Now!

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Or we can give our bottom 6 more than 4 games to prove they're not that bad.

Bickell isn't an NHL player, Rupp and Asham are big and slow with limited skill, Halpern is old and while he's a good PKer if he's not doing much with faceoffs he has limited value, Pyatt is good, Hagelin is in a funk, and Boyle is good at what he does but has limited creativity.

The end.

theJUMPER

Feb 25, 2012
I don't like Stepan down low trying to cash in scoring chances on the PP.

Get him on the half boards or get him out.

I agree with the anti-4 forward posters here. I'd rather have one of those guys play with the 2nd unit and have Stralman back there.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
I said this in the Forward Depth thread, but I think it's worth a mention here:

I've had this in the back of my mind for a while, but I don't think trading for Nash was a smart move as far as the makeup of our roster is concerned.

While the move was really good purely from an asset value standpoint, the impact of losing both Anisimov and Dubinsky means that we were relying heavily on Kreider to be playing the way he did during his playoff run. If he faltered (as he has), our depth instantly becomes suspect, especially on the LW. Losing those 2 also made our lineup very inflexible through the bottom 6.

Nash will be a good player for us, he's the real deal. Purely from a asset value perspective, we won that trade.

But this lineup:

Hagelin - Richards - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Kreider - Stepan - Pyatt
Rupp/Asham - Halpern - Boyle

Is superior to what we have now in my opinion.

While some could argue that 2nd/3rd line talent is easier to come by and thus replace than 1st line talent, even without Nash we weren't exactly starved for 1st line talent, with Richards and Gaborik already on the team. Further, remembering back, what killed us in the playoffs insofar as our forward corps was primarily a lack of depth scoring in the bottom 6 (as well as Gaborik playing with 1 arm).

Stars provide the fuel for playoff success, but lineup depth is the engine that wins the championship. With the Nash trade, we've got 4 big barrels full of high octane fuel with Nash, Richards, Gaborik and Lundqvist, but now we've only got a Toyota Camry engine to put it in.

To illustrate how complex this type of analysis can be, let me say that on one level I agree with you about the loss of non-flashy players such as the ones that went to CBJ or were not re-signed.
Then, I read about the possibility of Sather and company planning for the phasing out of Gaborik at contract end. Sure, it is conjecture, and I personally think the Gaborik of right now is valuable, but it is a possibility.

Over a full season, I like the chances of this working much better. This shortened version makes a difference. As I mentioned in another thread, I keep waiting for the promise of an adequate powerplay to be realized. That side of special teams could make a big difference, and perhaps I could be incorrect in believing that it would be impossible for an injection of an undisputed talent like Nash to not provide a margin of games in the win column.

Do I suffer from a case of wearing rose-coloured glasses? Perhaps. I cannot rule it out.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Bickell isn't an NHL player, Rupp and Asham are big and slow with limited skill, Halpern is old and while he's a good PKer if he's not doing much with faceoffs he has limited value, Pyatt is good, Hagelin is in a funk, and Boyle is good at what he does but has limited creativity.

The end.

Hagelin is good, Pyatt is good, Boyle is good at some things, Asham was good the one game we saw him, and Halpern hasn't been awful.

Maybe get a young guy in there...but besides Rupp and Bickel I don't think it's really that bad.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Poll: Pyatt _ guys who didn't play.
No deserving 3rd star tonight

As for 'kill me now'
not necessary.

But we have to do what I have recommended.

1 Lose the system, and if torts doesn't like, his ass can go.
There is ZERO creativity, and too much confusion with too many lines!
We finally get some horses, don't know how to use 'em.

2 replace Stepan w/JT Miller

3 trade for an upgrade, preferably a complete player who is also a sniper.

PS AGAIN 2 man PP and zippo.
We don't take enough shots, let alone good shots.

Are our guys lazy? No.
But there is too much crap and confusion

TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE

theJUMPER

Feb 25, 2012
I'm not going to go crazy over the 1-3 start.

With that said, the most glaring negative to me is that this team has not made any of these goalies work for their wins*. In fact, Rask was the only one that looked good to me. All the other games a street cone could've played net.

*missed most of the pens game so not sure if applies

TC82

Aug 27, 2012
The PP is going to be the downfall of this team. Something has to be done. Although I'm always against it, it might be time to just start throwing pucks to the net from every angle on the PP. The status que is unbearable.

TC82

Aug 27, 2012
Oh yeah and they wasted a Lundqvist masterpiece. I just saw the highlights, but it looks like the man stood on his head.

Apr 10, 2012
not enough pucks to the net. bryz sucks.

just saw postgame. cally looks like a ****ing warrior.

Last edited:

Vinny

Aug 10, 2011
London
pffff all the drama after every loss.

Flyers got their ***** kicked last season, I think they had some good reasons to win last night.
Lockout was 3 games ago and the team simply needs to get back in shape, that is all.

Get a frigging grip and know that all will be all right.

1-3 will be 2-3 after the next game and if not then still there is nothing to worry about. We have a slow start and played 4 games vs 3 of the best teams in the league.

Thunderhead

May 15, 2012
Raleigh NC
pffff all the drama after every loss.

Flyers got their ***** kicked last season, I think they had some good reasons to win last night.
Lockout was 3 games ago and the team simply needs to get back in shape, that is all.

Get a frigging grip and know that all will be all right.

1-3 will be 2-3 after the next game and if not then still there is nothing to worry about. We have a slow start and played 4 games vs 3 of the best teams in the league.

I know when you're kidding. Flyers is an average team at best, right now.:naughty:

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
It's quite simple what's going on. The Rangers have 8 service-able forwards and in a shortened season with no training camp to condition, it's killing them. They looked gassed and couldn't get control of the puck most of the game. Rupp, Halpern, Newbury, Asham and Bickel are just not going to cut it. They don't provide enough speed, skill to play regular minutes and be effective out there. And so it's really hard to keep your top guys off the ice. This team lost its depth and they're just not going to be able to recover this year without some serious changes or some young guys figuring out how to play in the NHL and fast. Most specifically - Hrivik, Kreider. They need some damn skill on those last two lines. Halpern, Rupp, Bickel (as a forward) and Newbury CANNOT KEEP UP with the play. And when they do get the puck, they look downright panicked. This is a disaster for a shortened season. It needs to be rectified if they care about this year. This team suddenly can't even roll 3 lines. When Rupp is on your third line and he's barely getting by, we're in trouble. He should be the 12th forward, not 9th. Anisimov, Mitchell, Prust, Feds - these guys all played bottom 6 and gave us big minutes and could play along the walls and cycle. The good news is, we're only talking about filling a few bottom 6 roles. The bad news - we don't necessarily have any bodies in the organization ready to step in this year. If I were Sather, I dump Gilroy ASAP. I look to make a trade where we can get a guy where half his cap hit stays with his team of origin. So, get a third line guy who's a bit over-priced but get him for 1.5 mil/yr cap hit. I don't know what they'd need to give up to do this, probably a draft pick and maybe a second-teir prospect, but I don't know any other way to fix this squad.

Thunderhead

May 15, 2012
Raleigh NC
That's the case for everybody. There is no excuse for the lack of effort we've seen. They decided to show up last game and got a win against a Bruins team that's way better than the injury/suspension riddled Flyers. The team doesn't give a ****. Torts lost the team.

I was thinking of this last night also. Maybe they don't want to play for him any longer. Who knows ?

Janerixon

Jun 16, 2002
Visit site
Same thing was said at the beginning of last season.

We went to the ECF.

Torts is only playing 3 lines in back to back games in game 4 of the season with no real training camp. He is benching Kreider so bums like Bickel and Newbury can play. Our PP is just as bad if not worse than last year. The Rangers lost to the Devils in the playoffs cause they were worn out and outplayed. I complained about the lack of depth on this team over the summer, Torts cannot roll 4 lines, he can barely roll 3. This is a coaching problem, is it possible this team gets it together, sure. Is it possible this team digs itself in a hole they can't get out of, that is possible as well.

At some point the coach has to adapt, the same issues as last year and it doesn't appear to be getting better anytime soon.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
At times Sestito and Shelley looked more useful than our 2nd line. Can't be.

The teams in the post-lockout era were so easy to love. Not a lot of skill, but heart and soul players everywhere; every check finished, every hustle made, every shot blocked plus Henrik Lundqvist. That made me a fan of this team.

Right now? Well, the first games they just looked lazy. I'm not buying the 2nd back-to-back excuse. Other teams have got to play those as well, and more often than the Rangers this season. Other teams had a shorter training camp as well, yet they don't look as flat as the Rangers. The PIT game was the 2nd of a back-to-back for both teams, and PIT outhustled us. Now look at the players they have, and you can guess what the result will be.

That being sad, dear players, get your heads out of your a**es.

Let's Go Rangers. Beat the Leafs on saturday.

Dorado*

Torts is only playing 3 lines in back to back games in game 4 of the season with no real training camp. He is benching Kreider so bums like Bickel and Newbury can play. Our PP is just as bad if not worse than last year. The Rangers lost to the Devils in the playoffs cause they were worn out and outplayed. I complained about the lack of depth on this team over the summer, Torts cannot roll 4 lines, he can barely roll 3. This is a coaching problem, is it possible this team gets it together, sure. Is it possible this team digs itself in a hole they can't get out of, that is possible as well.

At some point the coach has to adapt, the same issues as last year and it doesn't appear to be getting better anytime soon.[/

Ryan Carter and Stephen Gionta best NYR last year because like you said we were worn out . After the lockout and either playing big rink Euro hockey or NHL 13 couch hockey seems to have softened te armor of the NYR . All screamer head coaches eventually get tuned out
Keenan
Torts
Hitchcock eventually wears out his welcome everywhere . The team is not ready to play and not committed to the dirty hockey they won with last year yet. . It's hard to go from open hockey with fellow pros and beers to the halfway point essentially in the season . The NYR might find it half wa through this half a season at some point the question is will it be too late . Nash has looked good but still hasn't finished ( a SH goal in a game already lost means dick to me ) . He needed to roof that cross ice feed on th 5 on 3 last night .
This lockout sucked for NYR . Someone in that locker room needs to step up quick and right this ship .

toewsintangibles

Leadership analyst
Dec 23, 2012
The game looked like beer league hockey, people were gassed all over the place and fumbling pucks. Embarrassing game to be a NHL fan

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
3 Star Tracker:

Nash - 5
Pyatt - 3
Gaborik - 3
Callahan - 1

(3 points for 1st, 2 for 2nd, 1 for 3rd)

The Redden: Every ****ing Thing

Redden played a solid game for blues last night. Logged 17:23 of TOI in their 3-0 victory against the predators.
But I know, this is OT

Hope Rangers bounce back next game. Let's go Rangers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad