Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Flyers | 1/24/13 : Kill Me Now!

Shadowtron

Feb 27, 2002
Earth
Collapsing defense that let's the opposition control the puck 60% of the time, zero sustained pressure in the offensive zone...no forecheck...disappointing

Exactly. I mean...it's Rangers vs. Flyers, and it was the dullest game I've seen in a while. How is that even possible? LOL.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
The Rangers are 1 of 10 teams to have played 4 games already

(I love how the ****ing Devils are one of 2 teams that have only played 2, ample practice time!)

Out of those 10 teams the Rangers are the ONLY team to start with 2 back to backs.

Of course the Rangers look like crap, not looking for excuses but i dont think you can overlook that. A day off in between for some of those teams helps tremendously. I think well find out how much it means in February when the Rangers have ZERO back to backs. (none until March 8th)

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
They really do look like they just have nothing in the tank right now. I guess that is to be expected in the second night of a back to back.

But the Flyers are playing a lot too, and they are better conditioned than we are, or at least they look like they've got more energy.

Why are we in such lousy shape? Shouldn't the lockout have been tough on everyone? Why is conditioning a problem for the Rangers but not other teams? We even had a bunch of players who played overseas.

In any case, they just look completely sluggish right now. They can't get to loose pucks, they get pushed off the puck easily, they are making bad passes and turnovers, they are just not sharp.

The good news is that if everyone has a bad season maybe we can re-sign some guys long term for discount prices.

Nyrvana

Aug 29, 2008
Bronx, NY
www.nyrvana.net

(I love how the ****ing Devils are one of 2 teams that have only played 2, ample practice time!)

Out of those 10 teams the Rangers are the ONLY team to start with 2 back to backs.

Of course the Rangers look like crap, not looking for excuses but i dont think you can overlook that. A day off in between for some of those teams helps tremendously. I think well find out how much it means in February when the Rangers have ZERO back to backs. (none until March 8th)

Yes, but I think we have the 2nd least back to back games in the league. I love how people people are freaking out about losing to the Flyers, Bruins, and Penguins. It's a long season guys.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
They really do look like they just have nothing in the tank right now. I guess that is to be expected in the second night of a back to back.

But the Flyers are playing a lot too, and they are better conditioned than we are, or at least they look like they've got more energy.

Why are we in such lousy shape? Shouldn't the lockout have been tough on everyone? Why is conditioning a problem for the Rangers but not other teams? We even had a bunch of players who played overseas.

In any case, they just look completely sluggish right now. They can't get to loose pucks, they get pushed off the puck easily, they are making bad passes and turnovers, they are just not sharp.

The good news is that if everyone has a bad season maybe we can re-sign some guys long term for discount prices.

I don't disagree with what you're saying. It shouldn't be an excuse. But at the same time they played their best game after a day of rest and practice.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
That's the case for everybody. There is no excuse for the lack of effort we've seen. They decided to show up last game and got a win against a Bruins team that's way better than the injury/suspension riddled Flyers. The team doesn't give a ****. Torts lost the team.

Whoa there, tap the breaks.

I think in general the NHL culture is waaaaay to quick to give up on coaches and players (ie, the NHL culture has a trade market that is significantly more active than the NBA or NFL).

Tortorella is a good coach. He deserves more than four games before we start saying that he's lost the team, especially the season after going to the ECF and with no obvious signs of dissension.

The team looks sluggish right now but I don't think it's cause they dislike the coach.

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro

The Flyers were without Briere, Hartnell and Schenn. This should've been a win by default no matter what, IMO.
This team never manages to take advantage of teams that are down and out.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Two reasons we lost last night and have been losing:

1) The book is out on us. Take away our time and starve us of the puck. Force us at the blue line and in our zone. Same book as last year.

2) The putrid powerplay. Torts hasn't had an answer. Renney didn't have an answer.

I'm not panicked, but concerned. In not saying fire Torts or trade X.

But this is more of the same... Now minus depth.

Vickers8

Originally Posted by Machinehead
Look at the roster and look at the result. How else do you explain this?

Newbury, Bickel on 4th line and Rupp on the 3rd line crippled them, basically played with 2 lines...

SupersonicMonkey*

Newbury, Bickel on 4th line and Rupp on the 3rd line crippled them, basically played with 2 lines...

Part of the problem trading two heart and soul players from your roster...who also both happen to be able to take face offs and kill penalties.

I love Nash, but its clear this team misses Dubinsky and Anisimov right now.

Vickers8

Part of the problem trading two heart and soul players from your roster...who also both happen to be able to take face offs and kill penalties.

I love Nash, but its clear this team misses Dubinsky and Anisimov right now.

Also should have played Kreider over Newbury, please go way Newbury and never come back, Flyers outsmarted Torts by not resorting to the goonery...

94now

May 24, 2004
Snow Belt, USA
We are missing Prust and Feds. Our bottom 6 are the joke. Yet I have to admit Rangers overall played much better than I thought. Lundqvist was promicing. The reason we couldn't beat them was just one word - Bryzgalov. I never seen him playing like that. May be because I didn't care much about Yoties up until last season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

I tend to think that they would still have a lot of issues to work out even with a more normal schedule, but the 2 back to backs and one single day to practice has been terrible because it hasn't allowed to team enough time to even begin to address the problems.

They at least had a day off before last nights game

Eh the bottom six were doing OK until the Rangers fell behind and then Tortorella basically had no choice but to roll his top six. Then again no one was really "good", they were just ok enough to kill some time will the top lines rested

Vickers8

Eh the bottom six were doing OK until the Rangers fell behind and then Tortorella basically had no choice but to roll his top six. Then again no one was really "good", they were just ok enough to kill some time will the top lines rested

Eh can't roll 2 lines, and wonder why the team is gassed, Rupp on 3rd line was assinine...Kreider should have played instead of Newburied

Dangleberry

Feb 21, 2012
Queens, NY
Even though I voted Pyatt as a star, I do think he made a major mistake when he decided to make a pass when he had a clear path to the net.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Management put way too much stock in Chris Kreider. He was our only depth. Now that he blows we have corpses on our 3rd line and our AHL affiliate on our 4th line.

toewsintangibles

Leadership analyst
Dec 23, 2012
Last regular season was a dream, even as only a Rangers fans of about 6 years I've seen worse than this bollocks

To those people saying we lost too much depth: Brandon 4 Million and Sniper Anisimov have put together 1 goal and -6 on the BJs this year

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
We are missing Prust and Feds. Our bottom 6 are the joke. Yet I have to admit Rangers overall played much better than I thought. Lundqvist was promicing. The reason we couldn't beat them was just one word - Bryzgalov. I never seen him playing like that. May be because I didn't care much about Yoties up until last season.

We barely had any chances on Bryz. He wasn't the reason we lost. We created no chances on offenses.

qwertyaas

LGR@
Feb 19, 2008
New York
The 5 on 3 and faceoffs were ridiculous.

Flyers kept winning and icing to burn 10 seconds. Sad how that's a valid strategy against us.

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC

This is exactly what I think. A struggling team that has 2 back-to-backs in the first week all against top playoff teams is going to lose some games that we would have had a better chance at winning if we had a day or two off before. Look how much better we looked for the Boston game than last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: