Confirmed with Link: Rangers finalize coaching staffs in NY and HFD

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Things of these moments are life lesson building blocks that help one grow and evolve into a more complete person which should also translate into a better coaching experience for the young men he will be shepherding along in Hartford.
I’ve been having a premonition for years now that Steve Smith would one day be coaching in our organization. I believe I posted his name as a candidate in a previous thread. I’ll search and see if I can find it.
Needless to say, I am happy about his hiring.

Hi, Steve Smith.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
CelebratedWastefulDarwinsfox-size_restricted.gif

I guarantee someone here would've posted the news with video - and created a main board thread - before Jay F. Hicks, Senior Vice Directing Officer of Digital Content and Strategy.

Reactions: nyr2k2

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Jim Midgley? Do the Rangers always try to go out of their way to get "their guy?" We already saw how things went with a college coach. Now they're hiring someone with no experience in any of the major professional hockey leagues. He went 43-18-6-1 in 17-18 with Halifax. Halifax Mooseheads fire head coach Jim Midgley after one season On April 15th, 2018, Philip Croucher of Star Halifax wrote that they "needed a little bit more experience, especially going into such big and important season next year." That's a quote from the Halifax Mooseheads General Manager, Cam Russell. This is the kind of guy to bring in? Someone who was fired for a lack of experience at a lower level? Maybe this organization would be better if Drury was more concerned about the team than his plans for the weekend. It's a business. Hire people with a history of success. Is this New York or Winnipeg? Jim Dolan has a net worth of 2 billion dollars. He can afford to hire the best.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Jim Midgley? Do the Rangers always try to go out of their way to get "their guy?" We already saw how things went with a college coach. Now they're hiring someone with no experience in any of the major professional hockey leagues. He went 43-18-6-1 in 17-18 with Halifax. Halifax Mooseheads fire head coach Jim Midgley after one season On April 15th, 2018, Philip Croucher of Star Halifax wrote that they "needed a little bit more experience, especially going into such big and important season next year." That's a quote from the Halifax Mooseheads General Manager, Cam Russell. This is the kind of guy to bring in? Someone who was fired for a lack of experience at a lower level? Maybe this organization would be better if Drury was more concerned about the team than his plans for the weekend. It's a business. Hire people with a history of success. Is this New York or Winnipeg? Jim Dolan has a net worth of 2 billion dollars. He can afford to hire the best.

I missed this.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I think this is probably satire, but that's not a quote I like to hear from a much lower level. He has very little coaching experience since then.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

At least there is no reason to expect the guy to have gotten the job for being pals with someone, must be some reason for the guy to have been hired. Maybe he performed a heck of an interview?

Reactions: egelband

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think this is probably satire, but that's not a quote I like to hear from a much lower level. He has very little coaching experience since then.

But that was lack of experience in a HC role. He won't be doing that here.

He has an assload of experience as an assistant. Whether or not that ends up working out here, who knows, but he's got over a decades' worth of experience at the position he was hired for, albeit at a lower level.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Kelly and Murphy have a lot of coaching experience between them. Gallant obviously has a ton of experience and has been successful. If you look at those three, you have to feel good about the mount of experience they bring. Having a third AC who is not experienced at higher levels of the game, to me, doesn't really mean anything. They obviously would have hired him for something else. What is that something else? I don't know. I do know that hiring for experience alone is kind of an antiquated practice, that both inside and outside of sports there's more of an emphasis on cultural fit and soft skills, "fresh" ideas and perspectives, and that organizations will overlook a lack of specific experience if they think you check a whole bunch of other boxes.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
So long as Midgley isn't put into a niche role at a level he hasn't worked in recently like Ruff was put into the defensive coach role, we'll be fine.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Listened through some half-long interviews with this guy, and he seems to be super likable and easy to work with. Of course got a ton of “hockey” experience, the little things, what makes a team work and stuff like that. Encourage the right things. But also, I don’t think he is the ‘drill sergeant’ the HC of a junior team must be. But instead the type everyone is comfortable around.

In a way, I do think that he is an assistant to the coaches even more than being and alternate coach if you get what I mean. I wonder how much he will actually “coach”, in relation to assisting the others in their coaching.

But of course hard to tell from just listening to interviews. But it’s definitely the impression I get. Like, you ask around, would you be willing to take this job? You won’t get the glamorous assignments etc. It feels like he would say absolutely, love to get that experience.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Yeah he blows, what a set back

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I think the real story here is that a room full of women were able to keep a secret.

I thought the Rangers were hiring a female assistant coach. I saw that video before the Rangers tweet of the coaching hires. Gallant is hiring a female assistant coach. We have tried everything else. Why not? The NBA teams have female assistant coaches. Becky Hammon of the Spurs could be a head coach someday.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Listened through some half-long interviews with this guy, and he seems to be super likable and easy to work with. Of course got a ton of “hockey” experience, the little things, what makes a team work and stuff like that. Encourage the right things. But also, I don’t think he is the ‘drill sergeant’ the HC of a junior team must be. But instead the type everyone is comfortable around.

In a way, I do think that he is an assistant to the coaches even more than being and alternate coach if you get what I mean. I wonder how much he will actually “coach”, in relation to assisting the others in their coaching.

But of course hard to tell from just listening to interviews. But it’s definitely the impression I get. Like, you ask around, would you be willing to take this job? You won’t get the glamorous assignments etc. It feels like he would say absolutely, love to get that experience.
I think they were saying they were looking for the third assistant to be in charge of the forwards and the powerplay, so it doesn't sound like a deferential role.

Canada's women's team hasn't scored in 12:05 on the powerplay in the tournament FYI. :sarcasm:

Reactions: TheDirtyH and Ola

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
This is the way Gorton should have done it. Competent NHL head coach, experienced Xs and Os coaches and a nice guy not of the NHL ilk to be the teaching coach and voice for the younger players.

Reactions: CLW

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

Kelly and Murphy have a lot of coaching experience between them. Gallant obviously has a ton of experience and has been successful. If you look at those three, you have to feel good about the mount of experience they bring. Having a third AC who is not experienced at higher levels of the game, to me, doesn't really mean anything. They obviously would have hired him for something else. What is that something else? I don't know. I do know that hiring for experience alone is kind of an antiquated practice, that both inside and outside of sports there's more of an emphasis on cultural fit and soft skills, "fresh" ideas and perspectives, and that organizations will overlook a lack of specific experience if they think you check a whole bunch of other boxes.

y'all do understand that Midgely is the 4th coach.
Torts and Sully got by as just 2.

Midgely will likely be the guy that runs drills at practice, oversees the room,
changes the F lines per GG's direction when Kelly is 'eye in the sky',
works with guys on certain skills, is kinda always around.

Gallant just worked WC's for Hockey Canada, maybe got the Midgely lead from them
Anyway, i think a guy in his 40's is a smart include, and this guy seems truly committed to his careeer

btw, @SA16 i don't put any faith in what management tells the press when they replace a coach,
they just say what they want folks to believe and what makes themselves look good.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
y'all do understand that Midgely is the 4th coach.
Torts and Sully got by as just 2.

Midgely will likely be the guy that runs drills at practice, oversees the room,
changes the F lines per GG's direction when Kelly is 'eye in the sky',
works with guys on certain skills, is kinda always around.

Gallant just worked WC's for Hockey Canada, maybe got the Midgely lead from them
Anyway, i think a guy in his 40's is a smart include, and this guy seems truly committed to his careeer

btw, @SA16 i don't put any faith in what management tells the press when they replace a coach,
they just say what they want folks to believe and what makes themselves look good.
Yes. I think maybe the intent of my post wasn't clear. I don't really care that he doesn't bring a ton of experience when he's the fourth guy on a staff that does have a lot of experience. My point beyond that was that hiring just for experience is a practice that's kind of frowned upon, and for someone like Midgley, he likely checks a bunch of other items that the team was looking for.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think they were saying they were looking for the third assistant to be in charge of the forwards and the powerplay, so it doesn't sound like a deferential role.

Canada's women's team hasn't scored in 12:05 on the powerplay in the tournament FYI. :sarcasm:

To be fair, I could coach the Rangers PP to be a top unit in the league.

It's literally the easiest thing to do with this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad