Confirmed with Link: Rangers finalize coaching staffs in NY and HFD

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Know Gord Murphy from his playing days. No idea who the others in the NYR staff are.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I'd be interested to hear Jim Midgley's story. Resume looks a little light.

the guy has been working continuously for 18 years, since immediately after his playing career ended
Jim Midgley at eliteprospects.com

doesn't look light to me, just not flashy names
9 years coaching in the Q, plus another in Germany
4 gigs w Hockey Canada, a few more with Provincial teams out east

I am quite glad they included a 43 year old, with all the other guys a bunch older
and that they include a guy who has committed to building his career, not relying on his name recognition from playing

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Really surprised Smith didn't get another NHL job but I guess when you leave Buffalo you have limited options.
He did great in his time in Carolina, is attributed w helping in the development of Slavin and Pesce.
Should be good news for your defense prospects

if not hired by mid-August, options are fewer
if you're gonna go AHL, the northeast is the least hard gig travel wise.
and working with Schneider, Robertson, Jones, maybe Lundkvist or even Miller, should earn him attention down the road
I am glad he took the job, should be good for those guys and the rest- Skinner, Tarmo, Hajek, TonyB

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I was thinking about this topic yesterday. Training camp begins in four weeks from tomorrow. The Rangers had not named a 3rd assistant or a replacement for Murphy in Hartford. We knew about Kelley and Murphy a few months. Kelley is a longtime assistant coach/friend of Gallant's. Murphy was an assistant in Columbus under Gallant.

Smith was a very good player. He won the Cups with Edmonton. Chelios and Smith were a great pair in Chicago in the early 1990's. Keenan rode them so hard. He played them so much. Smith just needs to help the young D reach the NHL.

Drury needs to fill out the front office. We know about Ryan Martin as AGM/GM of Hartford. The Rangers have more slots to fill. The Knicks have put together an excellent front office. The overall product is better. Leon Rose hired Brock Aller to deal with the salary cap. Aller was formerly with the Cavaliers. Rose hired Walt Perrin from the Jazz to run the college scouting department. Frank Zanin was brought in from Oklahoma City to run the pro scouting department. The Knicks drafts have gotten much better. Their cap management is better.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
the guy has been working continuously for 18 years, since immediately after his playing career ended
Jim Midgley at eliteprospects.com

doesn't look light to me, just not flashy names
9 years coaching in the Q, plus another in Germany
4 gigs w Hockey Canada, a few more with Provincial teams out east

I am quite glad they included a 43 year old, with all the other guys a bunch older
and that they include a guy who has committed to building his career, not relying on his name recognition from playing
It's definitely not the traditional route to a first-time NHL coaching gig. In the last three years, his coaching experience consists of one year as an assistant coach in the DEL and an assistant coach of the women's national team in a short tournament. I'd be interested to know why he only got one year as head coach, after what looks like a successful year in Halifax.

I'm not declaring judgement. Looking at Jon Cooper's resume prior to getting his first AHL coaching job, I would have said the same thing.

Reactions: nyr2k2 and leetch99

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I would think Smith would be a great replacement for Gord Murphy in Hartford. I like that like with Murphy we're going with a guy who played a long time in the NHL and had a very successful career.

On Midgely he's put in the time and has been at it for a long time. It tells you he has commitment. Jacques Lemaire started his coaching career in Division 3 college hockey. If I remember right it was at Plattsburgh which I'm not sure has ever turned out an NHL player. Lemaire went on to win Cups with the Devils and had a long career as an NHL coach.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Steve Smith - decent depth D guy on Sather's Oil,
but always remembered for this

Things of these moments are life lesson building blocks that help one grow and evolve into a more complete person which should also translate into a better coaching experience for the young men he will be shepherding along in Hartford.
I’ve been having a premonition for years now that Steve Smith would one day be coaching in our organization. I believe I posted his name as a candidate in a previous thread. I’ll search and see if I can find it.
Needless to say, I am happy about his hiring.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Things of these moments are life lesson building blocks that help one grow and evolve into a more complete person which should also translate into a better coaching experience for the young men he will be shepherding along in Hartford.
I’ve been having a premonition for years now that Steve Smith would one day be coaching in our organization. I believe I posted his name as a candidate in a previous thread. I’ll search and see if I can find it.
Needless to say, I am happy about his hiring.

ramp5
HFBoards SponsorSponsor

Does anyone have an opinion and would like to share it on Buffalo Sabres assistant coach Steve Smith?
Would he be a good candidate to be an assistant coach here?
Posted on May 14th, 2021 in the thread titled:​
Who Do You (Realistically) Want to be the Next Head Coach of the New York Rangers?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
They'd be better than this board, if the secret were told to this board instead.
CelebratedWastefulDarwinsfox-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: will1066

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad