Jun 30, 2011
Plano
The Rangers will have a good problem next season. I know it's a long way off
Assuming Pyatt, Asham, Richards are gone

Hagelin - Step - Nash
Poulliot - Brass - Zuke
Kreider - Lindberg - Callahan
Boyle - Moore - Dorsett

Where do you put Miller/Fast/Hrivik/Yogan?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Hagelin - Step - Nash
Poulliot - Brass - Zuke
Boyle - Moore - Dorsett

Only a fool would think that all of these players will:

1. be NHL ready next season
2. for some of them, be NHL ready at all

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

I think it would be safe to assume (2) of them could take spots next season. Between Kreider, Miller, Lindberg, Fast, Yogan, Bourque, Mashinter (if he re-signed), Hrivik. For some, it would be time to **** or get off the pot.

Hell, I'm hoping the Rangers allow them all to develop for 30-40 games in the AHL and then allow some of them to take the step by moving some of these players out.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I think it would be safe to assume (2) of them could take spots next season. Between Kreider, Miller, Lindberg, Fast, Yogan, Bourque, Mashinter (if he re-signed), Hrivik. For some, it would be time to **** or get off the pot.

Hell, I'm hoping the Rangers allow them all to develop for 30-40 games in the AHL and then allow some of them to take the step by moving some of these players out.

Considering none of the kids have exactly set the world afire, I don't think its safe to assume anything at this point.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Considering none of the kids have exactly set the world afire, I don't think its safe to assume anything at this point.

It's been 2 games in Hartford and a few of them are looking good. Fast looked good on Phoenix as well.

Assuming all of them will be ready is a bad idea, but a couple isn't a stretch.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
You can see that team... they're called the hartford wolfpack. (I'm pretty sure you were alluding to that, but I wanted to say it anyway...

Nah - wanted to trade our entire roster of players (all the fwds plus Staal & MDZ) on NYR for a bunch of AHL goons and 18 draft pix the next two years. Then these boards would get Jerry Springer like

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
It's been 2 games in Hartford and a few of them are looking good. Fast looked good on Phoenix as well.

Assuming all of them will be ready is a bad idea, but a couple isn't a stretch.

Its been an entire training camp and entire preseason. The younger players didnt exactly catch my eye on a consistent basis. Then again, neither did the veterans.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano

Why is it? I am curious to know what you based your argument on. The players I listed showed me enough to believe they will be or close to being, NHL ready next season. If you are not convinced, please list names and why you think they will not be NHL ready next season instead of platitudes.

And only a blind fool would not entertain the idea. When building your roster, you will have to make decisions on where you think the prospects are.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
They don't have to be world-beaters to be good enough NHLers though. They can't be expected to look like they are fully developed.

I certainly agree with the bolded. My question is why so many people on this board feel the need to assume they will become fully developed to their liking, and then place them in the NHL within a year.

The law of averages says many of these 7-8 prospects consistently listed won't make it. The Rangers law of averages says it'll be even less.

Aug 2, 2005
New York, NY

Hagelin - Step - Nash
Poulliot - Brass - Zuke
Boyle - Moore - Dorsett

All UFA's and Zuke an RFA. Not shoo-ins to return either. Cally seems unlikely to depart now but heck, depending on what kind of season Rangers have, his demands, the market, whether Slats decides to change direction of club again, who knows?

A lot will happen between now and the summer to determine these things.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I certainly agree with the bolded. My question is why so many people on this board feel the need to assume they will become fully developed to their liking, and then place them in the NHL within a year.

The law of averages says many of these 7-8 prospects consistently listed won't make it. The Rangers law of averages says it'll be even less.

I think you have to at least hope more than a couple are ready to start the season next year. Hrivik, Kristo, Kreider, Miller, Fast and Lindberg all looked relatively close in pre-season. All flashed some sort of skill and NHL readiness.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I think you have to at least hope more than a couple are ready to start the season next year. Hrivik, Kristo, Kreider, Miller, Fast and Lindberg all looked relatively close in pre-season. All flashed some sort of skill and NHL readiness.

I think your bar for being NHL ready is incredibly low if you think all of those guys are close to NHL ready.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
How so? Out of those players, who is that far away?

I dont think Kristo or Lindberg are particularly close. Hvirik is a guy thats more likely at the tail-end of his shot. Not sure if hes going to get one given his concussion problems.

Kreider, Miller, and Fast are wildcards, each with as good a chance of crapping out as succeeding, in my opinion.

I just think its a fool's errand to start inserting all these guys into a fantasy prospect NHL roster.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

When we're completely healthy:

Nash-Stepan-Callahan
Hagelin-Brassard-MZA
Pouliet-Richards-Fast
Boyle-Moore-Dorset

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Stralman
Del Zotto-Moore

Drewbackatu*

Hoping that at least more than a couple of those players are ready to start the season next year seems reasonable enough based on what we've seen this past training camp but I'm really not overly optimistic based on the organization's lousy track record of developing prospects.

Aug 2, 2005
New York, NY
When we're completely healthy:

Nash-Stepan-Callahan
Hagelin-Brassard-MZA
Pouliet-Richards-Fast
Boyle-Moore-Dorset

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Stralman
Del Zotto-Moore

I know it's being talked about as temporary but I don't see Richards moving from wing. Just doesn't seem to have the legs, the ability, the whatever to play center anymore. He may be shifted back to center temporarily but think he will struggle as mightily as last year and preseason there.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
They don't have to be world-beaters to be good enough NHLers though. They can't be expected to look like they are fully developed.

See, the bar is set so high for Rangers prospects that if they are not catching the eye of an anonymous poster on HF, they are no good. :shakehead

I dont think Kristo or Lindberg are particularly close. Hvirik is a guy thats more likely at the tail-end of his shot. Not sure if hes going to get one given his concussion problems.

Kreider, Miller, and Fast are wildcards, each with as good a chance of crapping out as succeeding, in my opinion.

I just think its a fool's errand to start inserting all these guys into a fantasy prospect NHL roster.

You have essentially said nothing. They may or may not succeed, really? :laugh:
So you don't have any definite opinion on the prospects except you think it's foolish for others to have one? :huh:

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
When Fast is presumably sent down and Hagelin is back we will look like:

FORWARDS ($36.600.000)
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / Derek Stepan ($3.075m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Benoit Pouliot ($1.300m) / Derick Brassard ($3.200m) / Mats Zuccarello ($1.150m)
Brian Boyle ($1.700m) / Brad Richards ($6.667m) / Ryan Callahan ($4.275m)
Taylor Pyatt ($1.550m) / Dominic Moore ($1.000m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
Arron Asham ($1.000m)

DEFENSEMEN ($18.190.000)
Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m) / Dan Girardi ($3.325m)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Michael Del Zotto ($2.550m)
John Moore ($0.965m) / Anton Stralman ($1.700m)
Justin Falk ($0.975m)

GOALTENDERS ($8.175.000)
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m)
Martin Biron ($1.300m)

OTHER
Buried: Darroll Powe ($0.142m)

------

TOTALS
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000
CAP PAYROLL: $63,107,000
BONUSES: $125,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1.318,000

Plus a very nice group of fwds in Hartford
Bring in a combo of something like Ott/Downie/Vrbata/Penner & A triggerman on point/Diaz (Mtl) at the deadline
Book the Parade:sarcasm:

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
You have essentially said nothing. They may or may not succeed, really? :laugh:
So you don't have any definite opinion on the prospects except you think it's foolish for others to have one? :huh:

I think its quite clear I have a very strong opinion that out of Kreider, Miller, Fast, Lindberg, Kristo, Mashinter, Yogan, and Bourque, plenty of them will never see consistent NHL time. So, yes, I think your opinion earlier of saying "OMG how are we going to fit all these guys into the lineup" is nothing more than a big waste of time.

I'd ask you to mark this post so we can evaluate in 2 years, but something tells me you'll be pushing the same fantasy about the next crop of draft picks.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I think its quite clear I have a very strong opinion that out of Kreider, Miller, Fast, Lindberg, Kristo, Mashinter, Yogan, and Bourque, plenty of them will never see consistent NHL time. So, yes, I think your opinion earlier of saying "OMG how are we going to fit all these guys into the lineup" is nothing more than a big waste of time.

I'd ask you to mark this post so we can evaluate in 2 years, but something tells me you'll be pushing the same fantasy about the next crop of draft picks.

Depth is more than just names and bodies.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
so if Asham is going to play ahead of Fast should they not just send Fast down and bring up Powe until Hagelin is ready?

Also Powe can play 4th line C if they want to go with Boyle, Moore, Callahan as a shutdown line

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad