Confirmed with Link: Rangers extend HC Alain Vigneault

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Anything is possible but if those teams had better talent should we expect that another coach would have beat them with our Rangers?
No. Because I do not view the current construct as word beaters. Lots of teams are flawed, but lots of teams also come to a game with a Plan B.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm not surprised by a word of that article considering the title. Yep just completely ignore that the Rangers play a horrible defensive game. Girardi with McDonagh is fine because McIlrath isn't in Florida's lineup. Playing the worst forward in the NHL for 120 games if fine because he eventually stopped doing it. Then call other people arrogant by saying the real reason AV gets criticized is because of his gum-chewing. Capped off with "no coach is perfect [so criticism isn't warranted]".
Agree with this.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
Only took 22 hours for this extension to be exposed as the joke that it was

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
not happy with this, but it doesn't really matter.

whether he has a contract or not has no bearing on if they're going to fire him.

AV is a pretty good coach. However I think he has some glaring blind spots that will prevent him from ever winning a Stanley cup.

i.e. he gets hung up on bad players.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think that what is going to be interesting is to see how AV fares if the goaltending is mediocre. Thought his tenure with the Rangers, Henke stood on his head on most nights. That masked a lot of flaws with AVs system. However, if what we are seeing is not Henke go through a rough stretch but begin the decline of his career, how will AV's flying system fare?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I think that what is going to be interesting is to see how AV fares if the goaltending is mediocre. Thought his tenure with the Rangers, Henke stood on his head on most nights. That masked a lot of flaws with AVs system. However, if what we are seeing is not Henke go through a rough stretch but begin the decline of his career, how will AV's flying system fare?

Like he has his whole coaching career, he won't. He's been blessed with the best goaltending of this generation his entire tenure in VAN and NY. If Hank was even average in the 2015 series vs Washington or the first two months of 2016 AV would be long gone.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Only took 22 hours for this extension to be exposed as the joke that it was

Least interested I've been in this team in probably my entire life. The dark ages were a strange time, but now the team has had so much talent, with just a few minor tweaks, to the lineup & to the coaching strategy, we should be contending year in year out. I thnk we could have won the cup the year we lost to Tampa had the D (Yandle more, Girardi, less) been utilized properly, also with Kevin Hayes and no Glass.

I'm so sick of seeing so much talent and arguably the most talented Rangers team (over multiple years) ever be held back by this fool. I've lost so much interest this year, am selling almost every game and will continue to do so until they let him go.

He is horrendous.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Like he has his whole coaching career, he won't. He's been blessed with the best goaltending of this generation his entire tenure in VAN and NY. If Hank was even average in the 2015 series vs Washington or the first two months of 2016 AV would be long gone.

Exactly. A lot of people overlook this. He has had 2 of the best goalies in history mask his pathetic coaching for his entire career.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Exactly. A lot of people overlook this. He has had 2 of the best goalies in history mask his pathetic coaching for his entire career.

I'm just going to overlook the hyperbole and respond to the underlying point.

There is no doubt that AV has benefitted from having two elite goaltenders. If you remember, the talk when Tortorella was fired and AV was hired was that his system is designed to take advantage of not having to protect his goaltender by severely limiting scoring chances. That was supposed to free up the skaters to lend their abilities towards getting the puck up the ice. And guess what? It worked.

Now that the defensive group has diminished and the elite goaltending is suspect, the flaws in his system that relies on those things are being exposed. I said this on the last page. My long term criticism of AV is that he doesn't adjust the whole system to his roster, even during an offseason. If Hank needs more defensive protection because he isn't as good, it's AVs job to make that happen.

Tortorella came into the Rangers preaching safe is death. In less than a season and a half, that turned into the six-goalie system. It didn't even last all the way into 09-10 before he realized it wasn't going to work with that roster. That's how you do it. AV needs to figure it out.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
11 seasons. 2 different teams. Maybe he's incapable of adjusting.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

With all due respect, you really dont know what you're talking about. You don't know the game plans and what adjustments from an Xs and Os Perspective he Installs before games and during intermissions of every game. You just use confirmation biases like 'keeps playing Girardi' 'Girardi in clendenning out' as confirming your bias of him as a coach.

And when things fail it's always 'He can't adjust' and not 'The players didn't execute his adjustments'

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
With all due respect, you really dont know what you're talking about. You don't know the game plans and what adjustments from an Xs and Os Perspective he Installs before games and during intermissions of every game. You just use confirmation biases like 'keeps playing Girardi' 'Girardi in clendenning out' as confirming your bias of him as a coach.

And when things fail it's always 'He can't adjust' and not 'The players didn't execute his adjustments'

It's not a coincidence that every time we play a team that traps the neutral zone, the offense on this team disappears.

That's AV being stubborn and not adjusting.

And how quickly we forget the SCF. Where we would take leads and then get absolutely mashed by LA because the team turtled.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
It's not a coincidence that every time we play a team that traps the neutral zone, the offense on this team disappears.

Didn't the Rangers creae significant half court offense in that philly game? Doc and Pierre even mentioned it. You don't know what AV is telling the players and how effective they are in executing that from gane to game.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
Ah the biggest cliche perpetuated here. It's never the players fault, eh?

He continues to play the players at fault. If he's making adjustments and the players are not executing his adjustments properly, shouldn't he hold those players accountable?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He continues to play the players at fault. If he's making adjustments and the players are not executing his adjustments properly, shouldn't he hold those players accountable?

Just because he isn't publicly holding others accountable like say Tortorella might have did doesn't mean he isn't doing so behind closed doors internally. Also, accountability doesn't mean coming out of the lineup either.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
Just because he isn't publicly holding others accountable like say Tortorella might have did doesn't mean he isn't doing so behind closed doors internally. Also, accountability doesn't mean coming out of the lineup either.

Maybe he should adjust his punishment methods as well

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
If you're gonna criticize a coach for certain things you have to give him credit also. Getting to two cup finals (with superstar goalies or not) is impressive. And with some timely scoring from certain stars on the team 2014 could have been different especially in those overtime loses to the Kings. The coach can't be blamed for that.
It is frustrating that he continues to give G first line minutes but to ridicule him as being a coach who knows nothing is unfair unless it's there's exaggeration being used . But as long as I've been a Ranger fan every coach has been disliked for one reason or another . Heck now that I think about every team I root for has a contingent of angry fans that dislike the coach. I guess it's just the way it is

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

And how quickly we forget the SCF. Where we would take leads and then get absolutely mashed by LA because the team turtled.

Just to address this again because it's one of the few posts with actual substance...

If a teams clogging the neutral zone that would mean dump it in and go get it instead of trying to carry the puck over the blue line. failed carry ins while trapping the neutral zone == odd man/rush chances the other way.

Is that something you've noticed with this team? Asking honestly because I haven't. They will indeed dump the puck in of the opposition forces them too. Now he question might you ask is why are they bad at getting it backs and retrieving it after dumping it in? It could be a lack of proper coaching on positioning and spacing of the forwards.

It could be forwards making bad reads even with good coaching and game plan. It could be just bad matchup for our peronnsel.

The point is me you or anyone else doesn't know what the coach is doing stategically and adjustment wise even tho we lead ourselves to Believe we do.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
except belicheck made brady. av came to these teams when luongo and hank were already established.

And belichek would not have won 4 championships without a star quarterback (I.e. Cleveland). There relationship has definitely been a symbiotic one .

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Ok, except that first part isn't true. Almost every damn team tries to trap in the neutral zone against us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad