Confirmed with Link: Rangers extend HC Alain Vigneault

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Like he has his whole coaching career, he won't. He's been blessed with the best goaltending of this generation his entire tenure in VAN and NY. If Hank was even average in the 2015 series vs Washington or the first two months of 2016 AV would be long gone.

So the Rangers' best player being their best player benefited the coach? What a revelation!

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Just to address this again because it's one of the few posts with actual substance...

If a teams clogging the neutral zone that would mean dump it in and go get it instead of trying to carry the puck over the blue line. failed carry ins while trapping the neutral zone == odd man/rush chances the other way.

Is that something you've noticed with this team? Asking honestly because I haven't. They will indeed dump the puck in of the opposition forces them too. Now he question might you ask is why are they bad at getting it backs and retrieving it after dumping it in? It could be a lack of proper coaching on positioning and spacing of the forwards.

It could be forwards making bad reads even with good coaching and game plan. It could be just bad matchup for our peronnsel.

The point is me you or anyone else doesn't know what the coach is doing stategically and adjustment wise even tho we lead ourselves to Believe we do.

It's impossible to argue with your main point, because I'm not in the locker room, so we can just let this one slide, yeah? :)

Ok, except that first part isn't true. Almost every damn team tries to trap in the neutral zone against us.

I don't know if this is true, there are teams that try and run-and-gun with us. But, even if it was true, some teams are good at this, and the Rangers struggle against those teams.

So the Rangers' best player being their best player benefited the coach? What a revelation!

Well, it sort of is a revelation. If this was something that was known, that Hank makes everyone around him look good, then you don't re-sign Girardi and Staal to the contracts they got.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Well, it sort of is a revelation. If this was something that was known, that Hank makes everyone around him look good, then you don't re-sign Girardi and Staal to the contracts they got.

Different issue. I was reading posts just last week about how AV ruined goaltenders like Luongo and Lundqvist. Its BS, like most of these arguments about how "terrible" of a coach AV is. Now its the goaltenders that are pretty much solely responsible for the very large # of games AV has won over the past decade. I look forward to the next contrived and idiotic argument as to why our coach, who continues to win games by the bushel, sucks so badly.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Different issue. I was reading posts just last week about how AV ruined goaltenders like Luongo and Lundqvist. Its BS, like most of these arguments about how "terrible" of a coach AV is. Now its the goaltenders that are pretty much solely responsible for the very large # of games AV has won over the past decade. I look forward to the next contrived and idiotic argument as to why our coach, who continues to win games by the bushel, sucks so badly.

I'm not entirely certain why you're bringing an argument that I didn't make to the table as a means of debating the argument that Lundqvist and Luongo and Schneider have all made AV look good.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
every coach needs talent to win and in most sports needs elite talent!!! Basketball, Football, hockey. Im not a big baseball fan but i assume the kc royal roster wasn't full of elite talent but they won. The penguins last year are not winning the cup without crosby. the denver broncos weren't winning without von miller and the cavs aren't winning without lebron no matter who the coach is.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
every coach needs talent to win and in most sports needs elite talent!!! Basketball, Football, hockey. Im not a big baseball fan but i assume the kc royal roster wasn't full of elite talent but they won. The penguins last year are not winning the cup without crosby. the denver broncos weren't winning without von miller and the cavs aren't winning without lebron no matter who the coach is.

Cool but nobody is arguing that AV is holding this team back from winning the cup.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
It's impossible to argue with your main point, because I'm not in the locker room, so we can just let this one slide, yeah? :)

I don't know if this is true, there are teams that try and run-and-gun with us. But, even if it was true, some teams are good at this, and the Rangers struggle against those teams.

Fair enough. That's the point essentially.

Also at some point you have a team identity that you adhere too. Clearly there times where in-game adjustments are to be made but you also can't always get caught up in what your opponents trying to do and sometimes just need to stick to your game.

Rangers identity is clearly speed through the neutral zone through stretching out the D.

Kings identity is dump it in, fetch it and play keep away

Etc.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
And belichek would not have won 4 championships without a star quarterback (I.e. Cleveland). There relationship has definitely been a symbiotic one .

and (in a hypothetical situation where av was an nfl coach) av wouldnt have won a sb if he had brady because he would have kept playing drew bledsoe

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
and (in a hypothetical situation where av was an nfl coach) av wouldnt have won a sb if he had brady because he would have kept playing drew bledsoe

Very very hypothetical and too be honest so would have 90 percent of the coaches out there or are u trying to compare the Adam clendening over Dan G to Tom Brady over Drew Bledsoe ? Don't think Adam clendening (although I like him) is the next Larry Robinson.

If you remember only reason Tom Brady was plugged in was because of Drew Bledsoes Injury. Who knows when and where he would have gotten the opportunity to start. The hit Mo Lewis of the put on him almost killed Bledsoe. Yes that's right. Cause him to have a hemothorax and make his abdominal cavity to fill with blood. In fact belichek kept Bledsoe in for a play after he got hit but had to come out cause something wasn't right as noticed by team doctor. So who knows what would have happened if Bledsoe wasn't Severly injured

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
Very very hypothetical and too be honest so would have 90 percent of the coaches out there or are u trying to compare the Adam clendening over Dan G to Tom Brady over Drew Bledsoe ? Don't think Adam clendening (although I like him) is the next Larry Robinson.

If you remember only reason Tom Brady was plugged in was because of Drew Bledsoes Injury. Who knows when and where he would have gotten the opportunity to start. The hit Mo Lewis of the put on him almost killed Bledsoe. Yes that's right. Cause him to have a hemothorax and make his abdominal cavity to fill with blood. In fact belichek kept Bledsoe in for a play after he got hit but had to come out cause something wasn't right as noticed by team doctor. So who knows what would have happened if Bledsoe wasn't Severly injured

He bled so Brady could play

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
The AV wont play younger guys is a bit overstated on HF. McD reached his peak under AV. So did Kreider. So did Zooks. Guys like JT and Hayes have developed well under AV. We have 3 rookies (PB, Vesey, and Brady) playing large roles this season. AV has even let Fast play himself in to a full time role. Who are all these great prospects in the AHL AV is holding back?

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

I know that Bledsoe was injured, but I'm talking when he got healthy. Brady wasn't even great during that Super Bowl run, that team was carried by it's defense. Belicheck could have easily just plugged Bledsoe back in when he was healthy, but he decided to stick with Brady. There's no doubt in my mind Beldsoe would have been AV's starter.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I know that Bledsoe was injured, but I'm talking when he got healthy. Brady wasn't even great during that Super Bowl run, that team was carried by it's defense. Belicheck could have easily just plugged Bledsoe back in when he was healthy, but he decided to stick with Brady. There's no doubt in my mind Beldsoe would have been AV's starter.

Ya know, I never thought about it. Probably because its just such an insane stretch of two situations that really have nothing at all to do with one another.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I agree that AV would have stubbornly stuck with Bledsoe, BUT I truly believe if he had been running the show Friends, they would have never pursued that awful Joey and Rachel storyline.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
I'm not sure how anyone can look at the former Brady/Bledsoe situation and think it can somehow be used to judge whether or not AV is the right coach for this hockey team.

Lets move on from that please.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
He still have most wins on the road even with our injury isuses this season so far - so a good arguement to extend his contract by the org.
I think there are several things which could be improved with his system, but no point to discuss that on this topic. :)

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I'm not sure how anyone can look at the former Brady/Bledsoe situation and think it can somehow be used to judge whether or not AV is the right coach for this hockey team.

Lets move on from that please.
You've handled this situation very well, Bob Richards. I imagine Vigneault would have handled it similarly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad