Confirmed with Link: Rangers extend HC Alain Vigneault

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I guess they didn't want him entering his final season without a new contract in place?

I don't think it matters anyway. If the team goes south they'll fire him and just pay him the money. Team has endless pockets.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Maybe they feel he has his group of FWDs and now it is up to Gorton to bring in the D. Probably the best available guy for the job anyway. Surprised by the move coming now.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I have plenty of gripes with AV, but if they're going to commit to him, at least find a way to give him the horses to run this system. Otherwise, congrats AV, and I hope we keep winning with him behind the bench.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
It would be a joke to let him sit as a lame duck coach. Someone who has come here and won every season he's been here, he deserves the extension.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
The timing of the announcement is very curious. As long as Gorton intercedes and provides him with good personnel, we'll see what he can do.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
AV is stubborn, but no one here knows the true hierarchy of what goes on behind the scenes.

I don't always agree with every decision he makes regarding the roster, but overall he's a solid coach and a good guy at the helm.

There will come a time when it will be right to move forward, but now isn't that time.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Us fans will never agree with all the moves a coach makes.

All coaches are stubborn to a certain degree and it's the job that makes them that way. Lot of them also play favorites.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
The timing of the announcement is very curious. As long as Gorton intercedes and provides him with good personnel, we'll see what he can do.

Yeah, the timing is very odd. Why not just let the season play out then give him the extension in the offseason? Not that I think it'll happen but what happens if they take a nose dive the rest of the way? Then you're talking a round 1 knockout followed by an implosion.

I don't know. Just weird.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Not sure how anyone would be shocked by this. Yes, we all disagree with some of his personnel choices...but he's been to 2 ECF's and a SCF in his 3 full years. And is on the verge of of 4th playoff berth.

Also remember that the rangers canned torts like 3 months after giving him a multi year extension....so if the org loses confidence in him, he's gone.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
BJOCxpG.gif

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I still question his adaptability as a coach, but you can't argue with the success he's had. As others have mentioned, it's up to Gorton to fix the blue line and hopefully the team can finish it's "on the fly" rebuild/retool. If he's going to let AV continue to employ this defensive scheme, he needs to find the right players for it.

As far as the timing, I think this is just a message to the team that Gorton is confident with the way things are going, and it eliminates some of the uncertainty that surrounds the off season plan for the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad