Confirmed with Link: Rangers extend HC Alain Vigneault

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If there was a clear upgrade out there on the market right now, maybe I'd be open minded to a change.
The problem is that you do not know what a clear upgrade is. It could be in the minors. With some sort of a rising star.

Could it be Hitch? He could be seen as an upgrade in someone's eyes. Is Randy Carlye? Marc Crawford? It all depends on how you look at things. Heck, I could argue that AV was not an upgrade on Torts.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
The problem is that you do not know what a clear upgrade is. It could be in the minors. With some sort of a rising star.

Could it be Hitch? He could be seen as an upgrade in someone's eyes. Is Randy Carlye? Marc Crawford? It all depends on how you look at things. Heck, I could argue that AV was not an upgrade on Torts.

It was an upgrade, he lost the players, there was no going back.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Ya know, I never thought about it. Probably because its just such an insane stretch of two situations that really have nothing at all to do with one another.

way beyond hyperbole or comparing apples to oranges. dont know how the two can be compared but then again anything to make AV look like Bryan Trottier behind the bench

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It was an upgrade, he lost the players, there was no going back.
Not sure that AV is a coaching upgrade over Torts. And not to go back and reconstruct the past, but didn't Tom Coughlin loose the Giants and then won two Super Bowls after?
I only put that into the narrative about what is and is not considered upgrades. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I did not mean to resuscitate the Torts vs. AV debate.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Not sure that AV is a coaching upgrade over Torts. And not to go back and reconstruct the past, but didn't Tom Coughlin loose the Giants and then won two Super Bowls after?
I only put that into the narrative about what is and is not considered upgrades. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I did not mean to resuscitate the Torts vs. AV debate.

I would say TC lost the team after the SBs, frankly.

He lost some guys like Tiki Barber pre-SB, though. There was a very fractured locker room and, looking back on it, I don't think Coughlin was to blame. Scum bags like Barber were.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC

Well, i think one example is not represetative of what happeneds when a coach loses a team.

Also, everyone when asked almost unanamiously agrees that Renney needed to be fired when he lost the team, what makes Torts different ?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Interesting that Cerny didn't mention that playing Glass could've been vied as costing the Rangers a trip to SCF when they lost to Tampa, because the management was forced to trade away often healthy scratched Stempniak who could have step in for an injured Zuke. No excuses for AV on this one.

Or he mentioned Yandle but provided no explanation there. To me this is not fully on AV but more on the management for getting a LD while team already carried McD and Staal.

However ruining McI is on AV. Not a huge detriment in vacuum but with a background of struggling Dan Boyle last year and Rangers general struggle at RD this season, AV's reluctance to continue giving McI games to build on his pretty successful fill-in during injuries is unforgivable and mind boggling.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Well, i think one example is not represetative of what happeneds when a coach loses a team.

Also, everyone when asked almost unanamiously agrees that Renney needed to be fired when he lost the team, what makes Torts different ?
Did Renney loose the team? Or was he just removed for being the mediocre coach he truly was? Good man and the redoing of the franchise began with him, but he was hardly what I would consider a strong coach.

I am not sure that Torts could not have held it together. But that is a topic for a different thread. And I did not believe then, nor do I believe now that AV represented a clear upgrade. And that is the overall point I am trying to make.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I imagine the FO knew that Julien was on the hot seat when they extended AV.

Sure they did.

And everyone had to "have faith" in this front office literally for no other reason than it's not Sather. Working out great.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Maybe not entirely but I do feel like Gorton has been getting a pass.

There was no reason to give Girardi another season and this extension is awful.

Maybe it was to save some money down the road? How much did we save for the future by not buying him out before the season? Ya know that or the whole bounceback season/cracked kneecap/warrior thing.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Maybe it was to save some money down the road? How much did we save for the future by not buying him out before the season? Ya know that or the whole bounceback season/cracked kneecap/warrior thing.

I have no reason to believe this isn't the reason. I've been watching this team too long.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I have no reason to believe this isn't the reason. I've been watching this team too long.

Of course that's the reason. Trust me, I hate it too, but I think G will get bought out this season. I just can't see how Gorton doesn't use that as the biggest step in revamping the blueline.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Of course that's the reason. Trust me, I hate it too, but I think G will get bought out this season. I just can't see how Gorton doesn't use that as the biggest step in revamping the blueline.

We can only hope so.

If not, this is basically a dead team for at least the next few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad