Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Devils - February 23

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Well, you are basically answering your own question. When a hand is taped, you can't see what is underneath. What if there is something hidden in the tape, making it more likely to injure your opponent?

Then you check it; either before the game or after the fight, and if it is the wrong type/width/material/whatever then you give the penalty.

What you dont do is keep a farcical like we just saw where 2 guys are taped up the same but is penalised based on a resukt that had nithing ti do with the tape.

The fix for this is so monumentally simple that is actually embaressing that the rule is still written as it is. I'd like to think this was a wakeup call fir the league that they need to change the rule, but sadly I'm not holding my breath.

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
Dan Boyle continues to get worse and worse off he's more and more out of position. It's impossible for any of his partners to know where to be since he's never in the right position. In the 3rd last night he moved down by the dots and the puck bounced out to him, so instead of skating to it for a great shot he turns around and the Devils grabbed the puck. It's one thing to lose your skills but when you lose your brain and skate around like a moron and hurt the team it's gotta stop. Go away Dan Boyle. You had a great career, prior to us, but we don't hold any emotional ties to you. Go away and stop hurting the team. Thank you.

Vickers8

Devs 1st goal gift wrapped by Boil who passed the puck to nobody behind the net and a -3 again get rid of this ****in' loser

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Thank you. You don't trade a guy with his talent at this point, where you just won't get full value for him.

It's what, his third season, second full. Sure he's been bad, I suspect this year will be an outlier.

Fourth season, third full.

He may blossom, but each season makes it less likely.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
How many of you guys have actually touched or seen stick tape close up?

It's pretty rough, you can mess up someone's face pretty bad if you put it on your hand and punch them.

Also Kalinin might not even have tape on, it could just be one of these, you can't tell from the blurry picture

ProcoolWristSupport.jpg

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I honestly believe there is bias against the Rangers. It's too coincidental. The calls do not even out.

I followed another team closely for a good six years (Hurricanes). The penalty "profile" was a whole helluva lot more even and calls DID even out over time.

Again, what is your evidence, and how do you determine which teams the NHL favors?

If you are going to constantly make the same accusations, you should provide evidence, otherwise it comes across identical to fans of any other fan base complaining, and oddly fans of every team believe that the refs have it in for their team.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/byteam?cat=teamstats&sort=408

https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/...pe=0&sort=408&conference=NHL&year=season_2014

https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/...pe=0&sort=408&conference=NHL&year=season_2013

https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/...pe=0&sort=408&conference=NHL&year=season_2012

Last edited:

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Come on man...the Devils aren't a particularly good team, though they aren't awful, but tonight they played two strong periods and were absurdly disciplined. Blandisi took a bad dive that he deserved a penalty on (and a fine) but so did the Ranger player for his infraction as well. There is no bias or payoff here...the Devils were just smart with their sticks tonight.

I think Rangers should have at least 1 PP in that game, but it didn`t happen and the match penalty was just hilarious and ruin the 3rd period for us.
I`ve nothing against to lose a game, but the refs did a horrible job and the match was somewhat affected by bad calls on the ice.

It was pointless for Miller to fight in the first place - it was like 1 second left of 2nd period, but he was obviously frustrated since Rangers were outworked
at least in the 2nd period. We would lost that game even with Nash & Ryan Mc. for sure.
I don`t know what happend to be honest in the 2nd period, or the match penalty was accurate or not. I doubt all refs in NHL would call on it like they did last night.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Brassard looked good with that A. I think he's our best forward rn, including Zucc and Nash.

Did he now?
I felt they had a mental breakdown in the 2nd period - even Honk didn`t knew wtf was going on. :laugh:

No interview by AV - he was probably not happy. :)

:shakehead

:popcorn:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Did he now?
I felt they had a mental breakdown in the 2nd period - even Honk didn`t knew wtf was going on. :laugh:

No interview by AV - he was probably not happy. :)

:shakehead

:popcorn:

I think he did have some quotes after the game. Something along the lines of "WTF was that second period?"

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Again, what is your evidence, and how do you determine which teams the NHL favors?

If you are going to constantly make the same accusations, you should provide evidence, otherwise it comes across identical to fans of any other fan base complaining, and oddly fans of every team believe that the refs have it in for their team.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/byteam?cat=teamstats&sort=408

https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/...pe=0&sort=408&conference=NHL&year=season_2014

https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/...pe=0&sort=408&conference=NHL&year=season_2013

https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/...pe=0&sort=408&conference=NHL&year=season_2012

I didn't get back to you because I haven't had time to really do a thorough analysis and don't want to spend an hour or two at work on it.

PIMs aren't the indicator. Look up PP for and PP against. The Rangers are down at the bottom of PPs for. That's been that way for the last few years. Even if they don't get called for a lot, and frankly, the Rangers don't take many penalties, they certainly don't get many penalties called on their opponents.

And it's not just penalties. How many reviews go against the Rangers that are OBVIOUS that they shouldn't?

Those are the things you could excuse if they went both ways. They just don't. When does it chance from a "missed call" to a trend to a bias?

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I think Rangers should have at least 1 PP in that game, but it didn`t happen and the match penalty was just hilarious and ruin the 3rd period for us.
I`ve nothing against to lose a game, but the refs did a horrible job and the match was somewhat affected by bad calls on the ice.

It was pointless for Miller to fight in the first place - it was like 1 second left of 2nd period, but he was obviously frustrated since Rangers were outworked
at least in the 2nd period. We would lost that game even with Nash & Ryan Mc. for sure.
I don`t know what happend to be honest in the 2nd period, or the match penalty was accurate or not. I doubt all refs in NHL would call on it like they did last night.

There was never a second replay of what led up to the fight. I couldn't exactly tell from the one replay that was shown, but it looked like Miller got hit with an extremely high stick (I don't think it was intentional), and his neck snapped back. Miller doesn't exactly fight much, and I doubt that Kalinin does either. Something triggered that fight. That wasn't just two guys wanting to throw down for the heck of it with 1 second on the clock.

I'm not going to say that it was pointless for Miller to fight. If he was high sticked, I don't have a real problem with him going after the guy who did it, especially in a game where the Devils were allowed to get away with murder.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

It's pretty rough, you can mess up someone's face pretty bad if you put it on your hand and punch them.

Also Kalinin might not even have tape on, it could just be one of these, you can't tell from the blurry picture

ProcoolWristSupport.jpg

:laugh: This is what we have devolved into, "haf u ever even stick tape!??!" :help:

First, it doesn't matter if Kalinin was wearing tape, a hand brace or sandpaper because Miller wasn't cut. So the "why wasn't he penalized too?" stuff is irrelevant.

Second, and more importantly, Kalinin admitted he was cut by the VISOR, not the tape.

Lastly, the rule is stupid no matter how you look at it.

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine

ProcoolWristSupport.jpg

According to Rule 46.15. It begins with "Any player wearing tape or any other material on his hands..."

It does not have to be just tape.

That said, Miller was not injured in the fight, therefore the rule does not apply to Kalinin.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Sad this game became such a waste with out well Lundqvist was playing. The no-call on their 2nd goal was just mind-boggling. But anyway you look at it, we didn't play well enough to win.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Yep, for as much crap that the refs let go, the Rangers just outright sucked in the second and third period. Particularly the second period.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
So you're ok with a 40 year old goalie?

Probably not. But I don't see why we would get a 40-year old goalie when we have Hank.

But there have been some good goalies putting up strong seasons in their later years. Thomas a few years ago was a Vezina finalist. Luongo might be a Vezina candidate this year.

More and more skaters seem to be falling off a cliff at age 32 now.

Player big P

no more striptease no more flashes
Feb 4, 2010
Prague

ProcoolWristSupport.jpg

Yeah it's rough, but it's not like wrapping your hand with barbed wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad