Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Devils - February 23

Status
Not open for further replies.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
The big difference was the Devils played like their season was on the line and the Rangers played like a team missing their best D and best F.

Brass and zuc, for that matter, did play.

Can we please put to bed this worn out narrative that nash is our best forward because if so, we stink.

We played a sleepy game and the devs played with passion and energy

ltrangerfan

Jul 24, 2010

Can we please put to bed this worn out narrative that nash is our best forward because if so, we stink.

I agree that the offense is challenged.

IMO Nash is the Rangers best forward. He is most solid two way player the rangers have. Is he worth 7.8 mil or 7 or 6.5? That's yesterday's story.

Going forward, four of the next 5 games (Pitts, Wash, St Louis, Dallas) are on the road, against solid teams. The Rangers have a losing record on the road. Thus, we will truly know what kind of team this is by March 4.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I agree that the offense is challenged.

IMO Nash is the Rangers best forward. He is most solid two way player the rangers have. Is he worth 7.8 mil or 7 or 6.5? That's yesterday's story.

Going forward, four of the next 5 games (Pitts, Wash, St Louis, Dallas) are on the road, against solid teams. The Rangers have a losing record on the road. Thus, we will truly know what kind of team this is by March 4.
Most people share this opinion, and nearly every stat or metric supports it.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

I would actually like to put to bed the narrative that Nash stinks and is useless like you seem to think.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Hey guys. Not here to start crap... but someone showed me this pic:

1798194_908538340404_5523192529265440590_n.jpg

Looks like Kalinin had tape too. Any reason he wasn't penalized but Miller was?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This is exactly what I was thinking. How the hell does the ref know exactly how he got cut?

He doesn't, that's presumably why the rule's written the way it is. Blood is an automatic misconduct if there's a taped hand. I've never ever seen that before in the NHL though, one of those oddities where the perfect storm happened.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Hey guys. Not here to start crap... but someone showed me this pic:

1798194_908538340404_5523192529265440590_n.jpg

Looks like Kalinin had tape too. Any reason he wasn't penalized but Miller was?

Because he got cut. Rule states if a player fights with tape and the other player gets cut it's a auto 5 min match penalty.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Because he got cut. Rule states if a player fights with tape and the other player gets cut it's a auto 5 min match penalty.

I get it now. Weird rule. I honestly would have felt bad if the Devils scored on the 5 minute power play because I think that's a ridiculous thing to eject a player over.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
He doesn't, that's presumably why the rule's written the way it is. Blood is an automatic misconduct if there's a taped hand. I've never ever seen that before in the NHL though, one of those oddities where the perfect storm happened.
It's just annoying because Miller has continually been one of our best forwards, and the period was essentially over. :laugh:

Oh well.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's just annoying because Miller has continually been one of our best forwards, and the period was essentially over. :laugh:

Oh well.

That's the other oddity about the whole thing, you never see a fight with one second remaining in a period either, even from certifiable nutcases much less two guys that don't fight.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
That's the other oddity about the whole thing, you never see a fight with one second remaining in a period either, even from certifiable nutcases much less two guys that don't fight.

I agree.

I don't want to speculate, but when the fight happened, my girl said there must have been some love triangle going on with them.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Rangers at home - win even when terrible.

Rangers on the road - *#@!*#!*^%$@£!!!

If they don't get home ice, they are one and done in the post-season.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I know the TOI thing has been discussed but when you have 2 LD in the lineup, 1 of which being a player with 2 NHL games of experience, how is Keith Yandle not killing penalties? Even if you ignore the left/right side stuff, how do you have Dan ****ing Boyle killing penalties over Keith Yandle? I mean Jesus, the way AV treats him when it comes to defensive situations you'd think he was Marc-Andre Bergeron. How could you honestly with a straight face run out Dan Boyle on the PK after what you've seen over Yandle? It's baffling.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Interesting...i actually thought skjei looked awful...funny how people can see games entirely different

I wouldnt say awful, buf he did look a 3rd gamer who was playing too many minutes.
Cant understand how AV went with him over yandle for most of the PK

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Here is the TOI breakdown for our defense:

Skjei: 22:17
Yandle: 20:47
Girardi: 22:10
Boyle: 22:10
Klein: 21:07
McIlrath: 12:26

Hmm... seems like 1) The coaching staff wanted a nice long look at Skjei. He looked great vs. a hungry team. Yandle, i'd guess, is gone. 2) It is criminal that Dan Boyle is playing as much as he is. Criminal.

Maximize return on Yandle, as AV isn't properly using him. Take away AVs toy with Boyle because he can't contain himself.

Or, maybe it is because we spent so much time on the PK.

Skjei at 5-on-5: 16:58
YAndle at 5-on-5: 19:09

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I wouldnt say awful, buf he did look a 3rd gamer who was playing too many minutes.
Cant understand how AV went with him over yandle for most of the PK

Thought he looked solid... Not ready for full time, but by next season absolutely... He's a wonder to watch on his skates!

Player big P

no more striptease no more flashes
Feb 4, 2010
Prague
Maybe I'm just an absolute moron, but I fell asleep after the first period...did they explain why that taped hand fighting rule exists? Tape isn't typically infused with/made of razor blades, as far as I know.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Maybe I'm just an absolute moron, but I fell asleep after the first period...did they explain why that taped hand fighting rule exists? Tape isn't typically infused with/made of razor blades, as far as I know.

Well, you are basically answering your own question. When a hand is taped, you can't see what is underneath. What if there is something hidden in the tape, making it more likely to injure your opponent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad