Prospect Info: Rangers Development Camp 2014

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Who plays that spot now? This year?

There is literally nobody capable of playing second pair minutes, especially paired with an old Dan Boyle.

They need Staal like it or not. Skjei maybe being able to take his spot next year doesn't do anything for this year.

Think Allen could for now. It's a drop off in talent to be sure. But letting staal walk at the end of the year is a loss of talent

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Its perfectly possible that Buch busts.

He isn't very effective. He needs a somewhat big role on more of a scoring line. He doesn't have a very strong fall-back game, like compared to say a Kreider. If Kreider's offensive game wasn't ready his first five years or whatever, he would have fought a bit but eventually gotten into the league in a checker role. Buch needs to come in and win a bigger spot and perform to stay there.

But considering where he was picked, he was a great pick. He is a good prospect and he could definitely become a Kulemin type of player, and he has potential. Not much that is holding him back if he can keep developing.

Disagree. His game is not just puck on a stick in the open ice. He creates plays off the boards and goes to dirty areas in front of a goal. With his spreed his fall back game could easily be like Poo's.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Think Allen could for now. It's a drop off in talent to be sure. But letting staal walk at the end of the year is a loss of talent

Signing Staal keeps the talent and doesn't rush and possibly ruin Allen.

If they ice a team with Allen, who has 3 games of nhl experiences, next to a deteriorating Boyle as the second pair, they'll be eaten alive consistently. That is a borderline third pair let alone second.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
He's acquired a single first for a roster player in 14 years when he traded Leech

Sather acquiring one 1st round pick and multiple 2nd round picks shows the statement that "Slats NEVER acquires first or second rounders" was not accurate.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Signing Staal keeps the talent and doesn't rush and possibly ruin Allen.

If they ice a team with Allen, who has 3 games of nhl experiences, next to a deteriorating Boyle as the second pair, they'll be eaten alive consistently. That is a borderline third pair let alone second.

Signing staal long term also eliminates a place for Skjei to play.

Very doubtful he gets an extension.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Who decided that Skjei is already an NHL player? Are you saying do not extend Staal because of Skjei?

No. I'm saying don't tie up a long term contract and big money for a LD position when they have younger players coming up at that position.

If they could get a new deal done that did not include a no trade clause, then fine. But I doubt staal would do that

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Signing staal long term also eliminates a place for Skjei to play.

Very doubtful he gets an extension.

No, it really doesn't. Skjei can take the third pair spot if and when he proves he's ready for the NHL. IF another rookie takes it this year, perhaps that rookie could then move up and then Staal could be traded. I personally think it'd be very dumb and risky to trade Staal, a "sure thing" in the sense that he's clearly a second pairing NHL d man, if not more, to make room for a prospect who is going back to school this year, and isn't even pro yet.

I'd say it's very doubtful that he doesn't get an extension. This D is a disaster without him. Hardly NHL grade IMO.

Also, Staal and/or Allen could move to the other side. I believe Allen plays both in the A, and Staal would be worth exploring on the other side in that situation IMO. Either way, it'd be a good problem to have, not the kind of problem you move players to avoid.

Jim Morrison

Aug 4, 2009
No. I'm saying don't tie up a long term contract and big money for a LD position when they have younger players coming up at that position.

If they could get a new deal done that did not include a no trade clause, then fine. But I doubt staal would do that

You trade Staal because of his value maybe, but you do not let him go because we have Skjei coming up in that position. That is just dumb since we have no idea what kind of player he will become. The kid is still in college!

New York Rangers hfboards, the place where you count your chickens before they hatch.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
You trade Staal because of his value maybe, but you do not let him go because we have Skjei coming up in that position. That is just dumb since we have no idea what kind of player he will become. The kid is still in college!

New York Rangers hfboards, the place where you count your chickens before they hatch.

The place where you count arbitrarily selected chickens before they hatch.

Gotta trade for a C because Miller can't handle 3C duties, but it's totally cool to trade Staal and hope one of a few kids can take his spot.

Jim Morrison

Aug 4, 2009
The place where you count arbitrarily selected chickens before they hatch.

Gotta trade for a C because Miller can't handle 3C duties, but it's totally cool to trade Staal and hope one of a few kids can take his spot.

If Skjei comes up and outplays Staal while playing on the same squad, then you look to trade him. As it almost always is with these cases. Hard to trade a player with one year left on his contract too. I bet you we will end up letting him walk for nothing though.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT

Has nothing to do with counting chickens. You don't lock down everyone at one position to long term unmovable contracts. Especially when you have young guys coming up.

If you could resign staal for a year or two, sure. But he's going to want a 5+ year deal

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
If Skjei comes up and outplays Staal while playing on the same squad, then you look to trade him. As it almost always is with these cases. Hard to trade a player with one year left on his contract too. I bet you we will end up letting him walk for nothing though.

How do you look to trade staal when you just gave him a long term deal with a no trade clause?

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Yeah, that's the thing. We can't know for sure what his next contract is gonna be like. Full NMC/NTC seems unlikely though.

Like I said, if you can't get staal to sign a contract where he is trade able then I am fine with it. But he is going to ask for and probably get a full ntc

Jim Morrison

Aug 4, 2009
Like I said, if you can't get staal to sign a contract where he is trade able then I am fine with it. But he is going to ask for and probably get a full ntc

Look, I am all for trading Staal and would actually prefer it, but the way you worded it - it sounded like you were so sure Skjei was going to be the next best thing and you were letting Staal go for that reason.

I understand he is the odd man out.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Disagree. His game is not just puck on a stick in the open ice. He creates plays off the boards and goes to dirty areas in front of a goal. With his spreed his fall back game could easily be like Poo's.

Yeah, but is his game in those areas "that" good really? He is not Zherdev II, but his 2 way game is definitely way behind Korpikoskis and Fasths game away from the puck and so forth.

BTW, Staals contract situation is interesting but is this the right thread?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I doubt Staal will re-sign with us unless it's a long term deal. That will complicate things for a team that figures Skjei will sometime soon move into the top 4. The Rangers are going to have to see how Marc plays this year and decide from there whether that is worthwhile and then what to offer him. If the Rangers do offer him a contract and he doesn't like the terms it will be another Callahan situation around next year's deadline. If we weren't going to lose Cally for nothing than I really wouldn't figure we'll lose Marc for nothing either.

My guess would be that the Rangers wind up trading him sometime during the year. He's not the No. 1 d-man on the team anymore--not even the top left side guy. His play has declined a bit since his injuries and I really don't think he's going to get back to where he was. He's still very good but.... And the thing is I think he'll want to be paid like he is a first pairing guy (and he would be on a lot if not most teams) and with our constant cap issues from year to year and Brady Skjei on the way and Marc would bring back a good return--there will be more than enough reasons for the Rangers to move him.

NorthlandPro

Nov 22, 2007
Suwanee GA
All this BS about Miller can't play C. Let me remind everyone that when Mark Messier was the same age the same thing was being said. His first fee years he played LW. In fact his play almost led to his being traded to NYRs. So stop. The kid has the wheels and his hard to knock off the puck. If he doesn't make it as a center you slot him on the LW with Brassard & Zucc.

BLOCKERSAVE

Jan 16, 2013
Was there a scrimmage yesterday? I saw in the Bluenote section, there was a small video of a shootout. Anybody know what's going on?

NorthlandPro

Nov 22, 2007
Suwanee GA
I doubt Staal will re-sign with us unless it's a long term deal. That will complicate things for a team that figures Skjei will sometime soon move into the top 4. The Rangers are going to have to see how Marc plays this year and decide from there whether that is worthwhile and then what to offer him. If the Rangers do offer him a contract and he doesn't like the terms it will be another Callahan situation around next year's deadline. If we weren't going to lose Cally for nothing than I really wouldn't figure we'll lose Marc for nothing either.

My guess would be that the Rangers wind up trading him sometime during the year. He's not the No. 1 d-man on the team anymore--not even the top left side guy. His play has declined a bit since his injuries and I really don't think he's going to get back to where he was. He's still very good but.... And the thing is I think he'll want to be paid like he is a first pairing guy (and he would be on a lot if not most teams) and with our constant cap issues from year to year and Brady Skjei on the way and Marc would bring back a good return--there will be more than enough reasons for the Rangers to move him.

Exactly. That is why you have to continually feed the prospect pipeline. Skjei reminds me of where McDonaugh was after 2 years of playing in college. He is doing the same thing McD, focusing on the defensive side of his game. With his wheels and big heavy shot the offense will come naturally. Like McD I do not think we can lose if he goes back for a third year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00