Prospect Info: Rangers Development Camp 2014

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
They shouldn't. He's too injury prone and has zero offense to his game.

I don't think he's injury prone unless you think his face is especially vulnerable to getting smashed with pucks. The problem is that his injuries have had a lasting impact on his play. He's not as consistent as he once was and his impaired vision appears to severely limit his puck handling ability. Combine the history with his $5.45 million actual salary this year and an extension looks like a scary proposition. There's no doubt that Staal's going to want to get seriously paid, especially with the contracts guys like Orpik landed this July 1st.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
I don't think he's injury prone unless you think his face is especially vulnerable to getting smashed with pucks. The problem is that his injuries have had a lasting impact on his play. He's not as consistent as he once was and his impaired vision appears to severely limit his puck handling ability. Combine the history with his $5.45 million actual salary this year and an extension looks like a scary proposition. There's no doubt that Staal's going to want to get seriously paid, especially with the contracts guys like Orpik landed this July 1st.

That's the problem. I love Staal but he's not worth 6 million, and that's simply what he'll get considering what Niskanen and Orpik and other scrubs are getting paid.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

The Orpik contract is likely the floor of what it's going to take to sign Staal.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Marc is going to be looking to score a much better contract and really if his play gets back to where it use to be he'll probably be worth it--whether we can afford it is another thing.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Its perfectly possible that Buch busts.

He isn't very effective. He needs a somewhat big role on more of a scoring line. He doesn't have a very strong fall-back game, like compared to say a Kreider. If Kreider's offensive game wasn't ready his first five years or whatever, he would have fought a bit but eventually gotten into the league in a checker role. Buch needs to come in and win a bigger spot and perform to stay there.

But considering where he was picked, he was a great pick. He is a good prospect and he could definitely become a Kulemin type of player, and he has potential. Not much that is holding him back if he can keep developing.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
lets talk ev grachev.

he was a prototypical power forward. big guy. showed a deadly shot when he played for brampton. good scorer who went up and down the wing and scored alot.

problem is..... he wasnt a power forward. he was a big finesse guy and that didnt work at all. he never could find an identity. he also never really figured out the game as a pro.

he played with some studs on his line in juniors and and never really got it once he signed.

buchnevich is a different player. i wouldnt say hes gaborik per say but he does have the high end finish that gaby had when he had good shoulders.

although there was some disagreement on his skating in his draft year, i can tell you he has high end speed and hes faster with the puck on his stick. hes flashy, elusive, intuitive and creative.

his wrist shot is wicked. velocity and lift means he can rip corners. hes has an impressive snipe.

one more thing, hes a willing board guy and will go to the net. hes no softy. his back check isnt his strength but his speed allows him to steal plenty of pucks. he will go get the puck in dirty areas and take it to the front with gusto.

hes got all the attributes that one would want if they were going to fill a top line scorer offwing spot.

we all want to look to a current or past player to compare him to and none are perfect or completely accurate, but i see alot of this guy in him.

images

Whose sweater is this?

EDIT: nvm it's Cherepanov

SupersonicMonkey*

Cherepanov was a great player, and a great human being.

Tragic loss.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Its perfectly possible that Buch busts.

He isn't very effective. He needs a somewhat big role on more of a scoring line. He doesn't have a very strong fall-back game, like compared to say a Kreider. If Kreider's offensive game wasn't ready his first five years or whatever, he would have fought a bit but eventually gotten into the league in a checker role. Buch needs to come in and win a bigger spot and perform to stay there.

But considering where he was picked, he was a great pick. He is a good prospect and he could definitely become a Kulemin type of player, and he has potential. Not much that is holding him back if he can keep developing.

I hear what you're saying, Ola. But by the same token, you could say that Kessel didn't have a very strong fall-back game.

I'm perfectly okay (THRILLED, in fact) to have a prospect like Buch in the system.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Marc is going to be looking to score a much better contract and really if his play gets back to where it use to be he'll probably be worth it--whether we can afford it is another thing.

I think 2010-11 Marc Staal is gone for good. The future on the left side is McDonagh/Skjei/Allen.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I hear what you're saying, Ola. But by the same token, you could say that Kessel didn't have a very strong fall-back game.

I'm perfectly okay (THRILLED, in fact) to have a prospect like Buch in the system.

Me to for sure.

But to put it like this. If you are one of the better players at a WJC — and — you have a strong fall back game, I think you are guaranteed to become a solid top 9 forward in the NHL. I think Korpikoski is an example of that, for example. Korpikoski for a long time functioned on 3-4 lines and has slowely built up his game.

Bunch got a pretty high trechhold. I wouldn't guarantee that he will become a solid NHLer despite being one of the better players in a WJC for example.

SupersonicMonkey*

100000% agreed. Especially in AV's system.

Agree strongly with what you, jas and Zil are saying. That's why i really wanted them to sign Stralman. But no use crying over spilt milk now. Now they need to not aplify that mistake by committing a huge long-term high cap hit contract to a depreciated player.

Like was said, the 10-11 version of Staal is long gone. He isn't the same player, and he has one eye and a long list of head injuries.

I love Marc Staal, but, it is time between now and trade deadline to move on.

Bring back a 2015 first round pick, a prospect, and depth player.

Brady Skjei is the future in that spot, i am 100% convinced of it. Kid has the brains and skating needed to thrive in Vigneault's speed, transition, and possession based system.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I just wish Skjei turned pro this year to at least play a full length season in Hartford so he doesn't get that NCAA burn out a little more than half way through the NHL regular season when he eventually makes the jump.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
If a d man forces his way on, trade Moore or Klein + and get it back. Not impossible by any means.

Once again, Slats NEVER acquires first or second rounders, and he's right to do so. Why bother with a risky 18 year old when you can get someone who's 20-21, and on the verge of cracking the NHL? If we trade Klein or Moore or anyone else, it will be for someone like that.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Agree strongly with what you, jas and Zil are saying. That's why i really wanted them to sign Stralman. But no use crying over spilt milk now. Now they need to not aplify that mistake by committing a huge long-term high cap hit contract to a depreciated player.

Like was said, the 10-11 version of Staal is long gone. He isn't the same player, and he has one eye and a long list of head injuries.

Brady Skjei is the future in that spot, i am 100% convinced of it. Kid has the brains and skating needed to thrive in Vigneault's speed, transition, and possession based system.

Who plays that spot now? This year?

There is literally nobody capable of playing second pair minutes, especially paired with an old Dan Boyle.

They need Staal like it or not. Skjei maybe being able to take his spot next year doesn't do anything for this year.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

Can't see any way that's what they would move him for.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Once again, Slats NEVER acquires first or second rounders, and he's right to do so. Why bother with a risky 18 year old when you can get someone who's 20-21, and on the verge of cracking the NHL? If we trade Klein or Moore or anyone else, it will be for someone like that.

I agree with 98% of what you post but Slats has acquired some 1st and 2nd round picks over the years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad