Post-Game Talk: Rangers def. Canucks - 5-1 (Bonino)

Status
Not open for further replies.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I came over to Vancouver for the game yesterday. It was over after 3 minutes.

Bieksa and Sbisa were tire fires. Miller just couldn't make a $6M save, although most were tap ins for the Rangers. Team looked pretty listless aside from a 2 minutes section in the third.

Lundqvist had one of the easiest games of his career.

On the other hand, Rogers arena *really* did a great job upgrading the food, beer, and overall experience. Really really impressed with it. Food was actually really good.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Its not just that, AV and his staff are amongst the cutting edge leaders in hockey for watching and showing tape of the opposition to their players. AV is a very, very high calibre coach. Easily amongst the tops in the NHL. Proud to say he was once a Canuck

Really never heard the tape thing. I know tortorella always showed tape to the point the team was upset they were never on ice practicing compared to av.

AV is a good coach no doubt, but I think he had a number of days off, watched a few games (just like willie flew in and watched the pens game at 1 am to scout his former buddy and knew what to expect) av still knows the majority of this teams core, and knew some of our D weaknesses.

Frankly the game to me was simply poor execution by the D, lundqvist said post game they scouted the D pinched but they had no idea they would be that aggressive and pinch on every 50/50 puck (ie bieksa) so even they were surprised at how much they actually did pinch, i think if you make dumb pinches your screwed vs any team last night, no matter who played.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Disagree - IMO it's a problem isolated to the Sbisa-Bieksa pairing and a reflection of their limitations more than a system thing.

Neither of the other pairings are having issues. Stanton was pinching on the 1-0 goal, yes, but everything should have been fine as Dorsett was in perfect position to cover until he ran out of position trying for a big hit.

Sbisa and Bieksa are both constantly swimming up ice for no real reason on low percentage plays with no support in behind them, and that's what's killing us.

Agree as well, I dont see edler and tanev often getting caught and scored on for bad pinches either, its simply some players (sbisa,bieksa) not getting it and unable to read plays.

And its not like we have not cringed for years at some of bieksa's bad pinches even under av (and av knows this), i remember in 2012 it looked like he wanted to be a winger more then a dman but he also was paired with hamhuis not sbisa.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Don't think this is a top contender, and we're seeing why. When this team is 'on', they're on. When they're 'off' however, they're really, really bad and the stench lingers.

The core needs to be turned over very soon because we've been seeing the same characteristics from this core over three coaches now. When does everyone finally realize the mental collapses aren't on the coaches anymore? This core is mentality fragile...and adding an even more mentality fragile goalie sure worked wonders. :shakehead

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The better approach is to trade a prospect from Utica like Shinkaruk for a defensive prospect. Or go heavy on defenseman in the 2015 entry draft unless we get one top picks.

Before yesterday's game in Utica I posted it was time for Shink to sit one out based on his on ice play. He was scratched, but Gaunce getting scratched as well was a bit of a surprise. Maybe there is a trade in the mist.

I doubt it. Neither of them have been particularly sparkling lately and Shink needs a kick in the *** for the little kid retaliation slashes and crosschecks he keeps handing out every time he gets knocked down due to his own stupidity. His high sticking penalty on the same kind of play got a Comets goal erased that would have been the difference between OT and a Comets victory on Friday night. That was my reasoning for sitting him out a game. He is not bigger than the team.

LolClarkson*

I came over to Vancouver for the game yesterday. It was over after 3 minutes.

Bieksa and Sbisa were tire fires. Miller just couldn't make a $6M save, although most were tap ins for the Rangers. Team looked pretty listless aside from a 2 minutes section in the third.

Lundqvist had one of the easiest games of his career.

On the other hand, Rogers arena *really* did a great job upgrading the food, beer, and overall experience. Really really impressed with it. Food was actually really good.
Did Rogers arena upgrade the price too ?

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Don't think this is a top contender, and we're seeing why. When this team is 'on', they're on. When they're 'off' however, they're really, really bad and the stench lingers.

The core needs to be turned over very soon because we've been seeing the same characteristics from this core over three coaches now. When does everyone finally realize the mental collapses aren't on the coaches anymore? This core is mentality fragile...and adding an even more mentality fragile goalie sure worked wonders. :shakehead

The thing is that the core really can't be moved.

The Sedins cost too much for any team to take them, even in a salary dump.

Edler and Bieksa would be hard to move and besides who steps in to fill their places, it's not like even the drafting in the last 2 years is retro active, there is probably a 2-3 lag between when this core exits stage left and when the young guys are ready to take over.

Even with Willie D (who is doing a great job) the lack of depth in the organization and the lack of push back from the core will make this a muddling team for a year or 2

At some point I would love to see Horvat get a 15 minute plus game for a stretch to see how he handles it as well.

La and Minny are playoff teams outside looking in right now, can the Canucks hang onto that playoff spot?

It could slip away very quickly here if the ship isn't righted quickly.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
The thing is that the core really can't be moved.

The Sedins cost too much for any team to take them, even in a salary dump.

Edler and Bieksa would be hard to move and besides who steps in to fill their places, it's not like even the drafting in the last 2 years is retro active, there is probably a 2-3 lag between when this core exits stage left and when the young guys are ready to take over.

Even with Willie D (who is doing a great job) the lack of depth in the organization and the lack of push back from the core will make this a muddling team for a year or 2

At some point I would love to see Horvat get a 15 minute plus game for a stretch to see how he handles it as well.

La and Minny are playoff teams outside looking in right now, can the Canucks hang onto that playoff spot?

It could slip away very quickly here if the ship isn't righted quickly.

Yes, I agree, which is why I just want a new era to begin, with the likes of Horvat, Virtanen, Jensen, Shinkaruk, Corrado, Lack etc taking over for the old core.

Sucks we just have to ride it out until the current core retires, basically. On the other-hand, I never want the Sedins to leave or retire. :(

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Yes, I agree, which is why I just want a new era to begin, with the likes of Horvat, Virtanen, Jensen, Shinkaruk, Corrado, Lack etc taking over for the old core.

Sucks we just have to ride it out until the current core retires, basically. On the other-hand, I never want the Sedins to leave or retire. :(

Jensen and Shinkaruk are not even remotely likely to be a part of any core at this point.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Maybe more so Jensen than Shinkaruk. Shinkaruk still has lots of time to develop into a core player.

Are we seriously souring on Shinkaruk???

Jeez. He's played 26 pro games since he's been drafted, and is one of the youngest players in the AHL. He missed a full year of hockey due to a hip injury. Prior to that he was one of the highest ranked players in a strong draft.

People need to exercise patience. Wow. :help:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Jeez. He's played 26 pro games since he's been drafted, and is one of the youngest players in the AHL. He missed a full year of hockey due to a hip injury. Prior to that he was one of the highest ranked players in a strong draft.

Hope this wasn't directed at me, since I said he has tons of potential and time yet.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Well you and the other guy. What I took from your post was that Jensen is more likely to become a future core player than Shinkaruk.

I said more so Jensen than Shinkaruk as in won't be part of the core. I stated later in that same post Shinkaruk has lots of potential and time to be a core player, and I'm confident he will be.

Guess I didn't make that first post as clear as I meant, with the wording.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

He's a healthy scratch right now in the AHL. There's pretty obviously serious cause for concern.

Hopefully he shows significant improvement in the 2nd half to remain a viable prospect.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Just watching the oilers rangers game and remenda is talking about how often the rangers D jumps into the play (giradi just pinched). We did the same thing under av as he also mentioned that was a focal point for av's team in vancouver. However he also discussed how the rangers excellent blue line is capable of reading the play.

So i dont know why the system is getting called out, giradi pinch for instance tonight was a smart he could get to the puck, it was not a 50/50 puck like bieksa and when an oiler collapsed on giradi he made a safe dump. The rangers unlike us have an incredibly deep and savvy defensive blue line and even if a pinch is blown they have excellent pairings + lundqvist to bail them out. Not unlike us when av coached here we had schneids/lou and when bieksa made bad pinches hamhuis was typically covering for kevin not sbisa. I dont know how willie fixes this outside showing individuals tape, i dont know how you give bieksa/sbisa better hockey sense, the easiest solution is to upgrade the D from sbisa, weber, but even that is not easy. We dont have many assets right now that can be moved. Either that or we find a way to clone tanev/edler who seem to be able to read plays and know when to activate and when its a bad idea.

Last edited:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
He's a healthy scratch right now in the AHL. There's pretty obviously serious cause for concern.

Hopefully he shows significant improvement in the 2nd half to remain a viable prospect.

He's one of the youngest players in the AHL, if not the youngest. He's coming off major hip surgery. And he was only a scratch for one game. Let's settle down before we start talking about him being a bust.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's one of the youngest players in the AHL, if not the youngest. He's coming off major hip surgery. And he was only a scratch for one game. Let's settle down before we start talking about him being a bust.

Where did I call him a bust?

I said there's major cause for concern. And there is. He needs to find his game, and soon.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Where did I call him a bust?

I said there's major cause for concern. And there is. He needs to find his game, and soon.

19/20 year olds seldomly rip it up in the AHL, especially after missing the previous season with a major injury. I'm not concerned one bit. Most players Shinkaruk's age are still in junior hockey.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
19/20 year olds seldomly rip it up in the AHL, especially after missing the previous season with a major injury. I'm not concerned one bit. Most players Shinkaruk's age are still in junior hockey.

The ones that make the NHL usually excel, in almost every case. From the 2nd half of the first round of that draft, Lazar, Burakovsky, Poirier, and Dano are already separating themselves as guys who will be players.

He's gotten a bit of a pass because of the injury, but he needs to ramp it up in the 2nd half if he wants to continue to be considered a legitimate quality prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad