Confirmed with Link: Rangers claim Puempel off waivers

BleedinBLUEsince92

Oct 30, 2009
Northern NJ
Player avoids questions: "He should answer the question!"
Player gives a generic answer: "Interviews are so predictable. Answers are all the same"
Player actually speaks out: "He should not have opened his mouth. Sounds whiny"
Lol this. If anything this is good. He has a chip on his shoulder. Not expecting much from this guy but boy would it be glorious if he somehow taps into any of that potential he was seen as having at one time.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Lol this. If anything this is good. He has a chip on his shoulder. Not expecting much from this guy but boy would it be glorious if he somehow taps into any of that potential he was seen as having at one time.

Former 1st round pick, talent is there. He just has to put it together. He wouldn't be the first 23-year old to turn his career around after being claimed off waivers. I am not saying he will definitely do so, but anything is possible

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Player avoids questions: "He should answer the question!"
Player gives a generic answer: "Interviews are so predictable. Answers are all the same"
Player actually speaks out: "He should not have opened his mouth. Sounds whiny"

You can answer a question without providing a generic response while still showing some tact.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
If you go thru his history the thing that's been the issue with him is injury. He's been hurt a lot. Hard to get any momentum when you're in and out of the lineup and the coaching staff just doesn't have a lot of faith in you. I don't see a whole lot of issues in his game. Kid can skate has size is a natural goal scorer and has worked hard to shore up his defensive game.

Kid can't stay on the ice. maybe that changes here but he's got a real good chance here to prove himself. Has a few weeks to do it.

I could see a Puempel Pirri Fast fourth line when Buchnevich gets back if he's still showing he belongs.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I like the rangers. I like zibby. I'm just confused by the grabner comparisons or the people saying puempel is speedy? He definitely wasn't one of Ottawas faster skaters...that isn't even one of his strengths. Actual speedsters like karlsson, Hoffman, dzingel, etc are significantly faster than him. Even big guys like methot look faster than puempel.

If he's going to succeed, it will be with his shot. But even that doesn't look to be of "top 6 sniper" quality as I think everyone in Ottawas top 6 has a better release.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
How long can he be here without having to pass back thru waivers?

If the rangers want to send him down Ottawa has first dibs to claim him and only they can actually then send him down without going back through waivers.

Basically the system gives the player an opportunity to stay in the NHL. But if no one wants to keep him in the NHL Ottawa has rights to put him in the AHL. Only if Ottawa doesn't want him on their AHL can another team put him on their AHL team. So NHL or Binghamton for him, likely.

That's why the comments are strange. He's likely to be in a position to be claimed back by Ottawa. They could use him in bingo and likely would too.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
If the rangers want to send him down Ottawa has first dibs to claim him and only they can actually then send him down without going back through waivers.

Basically the system gives the player an opportunity to stay in the NHL. But if no one wants to keep him in the NHL Ottawa has rights to put him in the AHL. Only if Ottawa doesn't want him on their AHL can another team put him on their AHL team. So NHL or Binghamton for him, likely.

That's why the comments are strange. He's likely to be in a position to be claimed back by Ottawa. They could use him in bingo and likely would too.

There are no first dibs in the NHL.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I really doubt it entered his thought process but were these comments made to ensure Ottawa doesn't pick him back up if he had to go through waivers again?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Not before teams ahead of the Senators in the waiver order pass on him.

I think you may be right.

I'm mixing it up with:

"Once a team claims a player from waivers, it may not trade that player unless it first offers him to any other teams who made waiver claims for him. If the claiming team places the player on waivers in the same season and his original team claims him, the team may send the player to the AHL without placing him on waivers again unless he meets the criteria for waiver expiration below."

So basically if the rangers put him on waivers later and Ottawa picks him up, Ottawa can send him down without waivers and only ottawa.

My bad.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
How long can he be here without having to pass back thru waivers?

he never cleared waivers so the rangers would have to waive him at any point that he was sent down...

if a player clears waivers and is recalled he can be sent back down without waivers within 30 days

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
A great start for him for sure here in New York - he has no pressure to perform so it will be interesting to see more of him in near future! ))

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
A great start for him for sure here in New York - he has no pressure to perform so it will be interesting to see more of him in near future! ))

On a team as deep as this, I think there is plenty of pressure on some of our fringe players to perform...else they ride the pine or end up sharpening their skills in the AHL. If Pumper is anything less than useful, he can forget about playing nightly.

I do like that the Rangers are allowing him to play to his strengths, but this does not mean that they will accept sub-par play. Pumper needs to prove he belongs here if he is to take a job from Oscar.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
honestly..i havent really seen much from this kid to warrant him being in the lineup when buch/zib get back...id say hes the first one out.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
I like the rangers. I like zibby. I'm just confused by the grabner comparisons or the people saying puempel is speedy? He definitely wasn't one of Ottawas faster skaters...that isn't even one of his strengths. Actual speedsters like karlsson, Hoffman, dzingel, etc are significantly faster than him. Even big guys like methot look faster than puempel.

If he's going to succeed, it will be with his shot. But even that doesn't look to be of "top 6 sniper" quality as I think everyone in Ottawas top 6 has a better release.

His talent analysis on HF suggests he's a speedy skater. If anyone is saying he's comparable to Grabner...that a little ridiculous, though.

On the goal Pimple did score for us, he showed some speed. Got in front of the D on a fast break. Fast enough to get the job done. Will he stick? Doubt it once everyone gets healthy.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Lol, the name annoys me the more I hear it. Only caught part of the game but "pumple" irritates me when I hear it said frequently. Like pumpernickel. I dunno. Nothing against the kid!

Well yeah if you know anything about German, you know it's completely wrong, which normally annoys me too, but it's worth it just for "Pump it up Puempel!"

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
Lindberg (maybe+) out West for a younger draft exempt player when Buch gets back. SJ, Calgary or Minnesota. Book it

Do you think Dallas would have any interest in ol? They have a few d who don't need waivers that would certainly help Hartford. Would love to lands johns some how but it would prob be a big add to Lindberg to snag him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad