Confirmed with Link: Rangers claim Puempel off waivers

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
He may be right but it's usually never good for someone to take shots at a former team, as innocent as it may be, when you're a 23 year old who just got waived.

He does seem genuinely excited to be here so hopefully he's motivated and turns a corner with us.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
They know there are going to be mistakes. They're not barking at you every time you come off the ice. It's beneficial.

That's about as scorching hot as it gets in the NHL, so . . .

giphy.gif

zomg.gif

kdNWl.gif

Big game for him tomorrow.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
He shouldn't have called his old coach out. Puempel.... damn dude you only have 5 NHL goals... what's with these emos coming out of OTT?

Zibby was mopey and up and down too.

Shut up and ****ing play.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
He shouldn't have called his old coach out. Puempel.... damn dude you only have 5 NHL goals... what's with these emos coming out of OTT?

Zibby was mopey and up and down too.

Shut up and ****ing play.

That's not what an emo is. The culture is Ottawa is probably not a great one. A lot of prospects failing to break through in Ottawa.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
He definitely shouldn't have said anything. Regardless, he's happy to be here which is good and he now has the opportunity to back up his words. If he develops into something here, no one will remember this (other than Ottawa fans). If he doesn't, he'll just look like a clown. Back up your words, Pumper.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
That's not what an emo is. The culture is Ottawa is probably not a great one. A lot of prospects failing to break through in Ottawa.

They're a struggling team. IMO they tried to mom and pop a few things the last few years and you see it in their feeder league.

OTT used to be the best drafting and development team for a long run.

MTL took some of that scouting talent.

Teams like the Islanders and Carolina Hurricanes are in a similar boat. Rangers should feast off of them.

Cheapshot

May 23, 2012
He's young. One of those lessons learned when still trying to become a good professional. I'm sure he meant it but probably realizes he was better off not saying it.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
He's young. One of those lessons learned when still trying to become a good professional. I'm sure he meant it but probably realizes he was better off not saying it.

I agree but i understand where he comes from and i always appreciate honesty unless what they say are really bad. He is a talented guy, he isnt getting those passes like the one he got from Vesey on his goal by Neil etc.

Cheapshot

May 23, 2012
I agree but i understand where he comes from and i always appreciate honesty unless what they say are really bad. He is a talented guy, he isnt getting those passes like the one he got from Vesey on his goal by Neil etc.

Yeah it amazes me that Neil is still playing.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Yeah it amazes me that Neil is still playing.

Otherwise, they'd have to bring up young players which they don't want to do or they'll have to sign free agents are a premium price which they don't want to do either.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
You know the more I think about it, the more I feel this kid's upside is Michael Grabner. Not that he's going to rack 30 in a year, but rather a similar type of player. He comes here trying to earn a job.

Smart pick up by the Rangers. If he plays well enough, he could make Lindberg go on waivers.

Jonas1235

Jan 8, 2008
Calgary
maybe they hold lindberg for ransom. Some teams would trade for him to be a forward to expose in expansion draft.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
he shouldnt have opened his mouth. sounds whiny.

let your play do the talking. you've only been here a week bro.

the odds are still stacked against him especially when buchy comes back and were back to full strength.

let sleeping dogs lie.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
he shouldnt have opened his mouth. sounds whiny.

let your play do the talking. you've only been here a week bro.

the odds are still stacked against him especially when buchy comes back and were back to full strength.

let sleeping dogs lie.

Player avoids questions: "He should answer the question!"
Player gives a generic answer: "Interviews are so predictable. Answers are all the same"
Player actually speaks out: "He should not have opened his mouth. Sounds whiny"

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
They're a struggling team. IMO they tried to mom and pop a few things the last few years and you see it in their feeder league.

OTT used to be the best drafting and development team for a long run.

MTL took some of that scouting talent.

Teams like the Islanders and Carolina Hurricanes are in a similar boat. Rangers should feast off of them.

Ottawa is 13-7-1, good for 6th overall in the league. Not really sure they would classify as "struggling".

Not only that, but if anything, this is a testament to their drafting and development when guys like Shane Prince and Matt Puempel are getting waived, and then immediately scooped up by other teams. The Sens entire roster is built on their own picks and players they specifically targeted through trade.

It's not like they aren't developing their players right either, as there have been no shortage of players breaking out over the last 3 or so years (Stone, Hoffman, Dzingel, Pageau, Wideman ect).

We had everyone buy into the new system almost immediately, but I guess old Matty Puempel had other things in mind for himself.

That was now his 3rd NHL coach that ended up souring on him. I gave him the benefit of the doubt up until it became clear this year that it was him that needed to get better, and not the man behind the bench.

He's basically just a little brat at this point, and I'm actually happy he's gone now. As a Sens fan I wish Zibanejad and the Rangers nothing but success (except when they play us of course), but I will be actively rooting for Puempel to get waived once you guys get some bodies back.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

Yeah this. Hoffman, stone, and then get guys like Ryan, phaneuf.... Nothing is working over there. They're forever going to be a bubble team if they keep this stuff up.

Karlsson is all they got going for them v

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Yeah this. Hoffman, stone, and then get guys like Ryan, phaneuf.... Nothing is working over there. They're forever going to be a bubble team if they keep this stuff up.

The Rangers are hopefully not as dismissive of what will actually be quite a tough opponent.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Ottawa is 13-7-1, good for 6th overall in the league. Not really sure they would classify as "struggling".

Not only that, but if anything, this is a testament to their drafting and development when guys like Shane Prince and Matt Puempel are getting waived, and then immediately scooped up by other teams. The Sens entire roster is built on their own picks and players they specifically targeted through trade.

It's not like they aren't developing their players right either, as there have been no shortage of players breaking out over the last 3 or so years (Stone, Hoffman, Dzingel, Pageau, Wideman ect).

We had everyone buy into the new system almost immediately, but I guess old Matty Puempel had other things in mind for himself.

That was now his 3rd NHL coach that ended up souring on him. I gave him the benefit of the doubt up until it became clear this year that it was him that needed to get better, and not the man behind the bench.

He's basically just a little brat at this point, and I'm actually happy he's gone now. As a Sens fan I wish Zibanejad and the Rangers nothing but success (except when they play us of course), but I will be actively rooting for Puempel to get waived once you guys get some bodies back.

I'll give you Hoffman, Pageau and Stone. Nothing wrong with moving on from a player on a one-way earning $900k when he should clock $600 even.

I don't see him as an everyday player on the Rangers, but a serviceable fill in that will get to enjoy NYC with some cash. They won't ask much of him, and he should show up just so he gets carried around as an extra guy.

I do think OTT had a number of games where the goalies stole the win, and think you guys will be in a tight race at the end.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Matt Puempel couldn't outplay Chris Neil and Chris Kelly. He was half the player Varone (!!!) was through training camp. Not sure what he expected. Should be an interesting game from him today.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I do think OTT had a number of games where the goalies stole the win, and think you guys will be in a tight race at the end.

For sure they have won some tight games (#1 in the league in 1 goal games), but to be fair, they have had a low unsustainable shooting percentage. The goals are starting to come. Boucher had his hands full transforming the team's identity defensively, which he has done an incredible job at.

And let's be honest, the Rangers could very well be playing over their heads right now too.

I like them though, and I didn't intend to come in here and start a flame war, I just don't like seeing people pile on Ottawa for no good reason, like Matty Puempel or a few people in here.

Right...the walls are all crumbling down for the Sens the right now..

Anyways good luck tonight guys :cheers:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad