Confirmed with Link: Rangers claim F Jake Leschyshyn

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
FYI Leschyshyn also tore his ACL back in 2016 which knocked him out for the remainder of his season with the Pats. Vegas took him anyway with the last selection of the 2nd round of the 17 draft.

Reactions: will1066

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
I don't think the move has anything to do with Tolvanen vs Leschyshyn or Brodzinski vs. Leschyshyn or anything like that. It looks like a matter of circumstance led to the claim. The team had 12 healthy forwards and the players they would have called up from Hartford are injured. There was a cheap forward on waivers at that time, so they claimed him. He's a warm body.

Of course, they will say that they like this or that about Leschyshyn. They want him to have an opportunity to succeed and help the team, but they probably would have claimed any cheap forward on waivers after Kreider was ruled out for the Dallas game.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016

The thing that's annoying about the Tolvanen situation is that Sammy Blais and him make the same money. Blais has been largely ineffective since getting hurt. He's always injured. So if Blais sucked all year and there's a real chance we don't re-sign him why are we holding onto his million and a half? If the issue is accruing cap space Drury could've unloaded Blais and pushed Vesey to the 4th line. If it didn't work out you throw Tolvanen back on waivers. If it did, you added a winger with some upside to a weak RW group. We may need some more bite and another utility sort of player, which Tolvanen doesnt exactly fit the mold.. but that's something that can be specifically addressed at the deadline. It was simply a missed opportunity to displace less effective forwards in the lineup. Tolvanen on the 3rd line with Vesey in Blais' spot.. that's a deeper team. To put it nicely, it's definitely been a mixed bag so far with Drury as the GM

And the sad thing is.. watch Drury go re-sign Blais this summer just for him to miss half the season again

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012

The thing that's annoying about the Tolvanen situation is that Sammy Blais and him make the same money. Blais has been largely ineffective since getting hurt. He's always injured. So if Blais sucked all year and there's a real chance we don't re-sign him why are we holding onto his million and a half? If the issue is accruing cap space Drury could've unloaded Blais and pushed Vesey to the 4th line. If it didn't work out you throw Tolvanen back on waivers. If it did, you added a winger with some upside to a weak RW group. We may need some more bite and another utility sort of player, which Tolvanen doesnt exactly fit the mold.. but that's something that can be specifically addressed at the deadline. It was simply a missed opportunity to displace less effective forwards in the lineup. Tolvanen on the 3rd line with Vesey in Blais' spot.. that's a deeper team. To put it nicely, it's definitely been a mixed bag so far with Drury as the GM

And the sad thing is.. watch Drury go re-sign Blais this summer just for him to miss half the season again
I would bet they will sign Sammy for another year. NYR have the best medical staff in the league, they absolutely knew this was a rehab year going into this.
As far as being always injured, when you get cheap shotted into a devastating injury like Blais was, that is a whole different issue than being "injury prone."
Blais was an important player in St Louis' Cup winning run. He also scored at a 0.42 PPG pace that year. More than adequate for a 3rd-4th line hitter. The hope is that he can regain or surpass that form. He was 24 at the time. Now I'm not saying he WILL, I'm giving my take on what is going on here. Who knows? He may be useless wherever he ends up next year, but I'm pretty certain if NYR don't give him a shot, then someone else will.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I would bet they will sign Sammy for another year. NYR have the best medical staff in the league, they absolutely knew this was a rehab year going into this.
As far as being always injured, when you get cheap shotted into a devastating injury like Blais was, that is a whole different issue than being "injury prone."
Blais was an important player in St Louis' Cup winning run. He also scored at a 0.42 PPG pace that year. More than adequate for a 3rd-4th line hitter. The hope is that he can regain or surpass that form. He was 24 at the time. Now I'm not saying he WILL, I'm giving my take on what is going on here. Who knows? He may be useless wherever he ends up next year, but I'm pretty certain if NYR don't give him a shot, then someone else will.

I'd re-sign Blais to a 2 year deal right now if he's re-sign. It would just be for $900k

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
FYI Leschyshyn also tore his ACL back in 2016 which knocked him out for the remainder of his season with the Pats. Vegas took him anyway with the last selection of the 2nd round of the 17 draft.
Galaxy brain move by Drury to eventually be able to tell Dolan that he finally waived the guy with no goals and the destroyed ACL

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I think the scouting group like Jake and they may see this as a good opportunity to not only add a depth forward this year but a viable option for the 4th line next year. He has 2 more years of team control and is only 23.

48% faceoff percentage at his age is actually pretty good. Normally young players struggle in the dot

Over the last 5 years, a total of 65 centers aged 23 and younger have taken the same amount of faceoffs as Jake Leschyshyn

Leschyshyn ranks 23rd out of 65 with a FO% of 48.3%

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Someone will absolutely take him whether it be us or another team. I have nothing against Blais. I like his game a lot, he'd be a fan favorite if he could stay healthy. He's playing nowhere near his ability. Its a cap world. It would be a complete non-issue if he made what Vesey makes. But him getting cheap-shotted doesn't make him injury prone.. him battling injuries for the past 5 years with a couple significant ones in there is what makes him injury prone. A really cheap prove-it deal I'm fine with but anything above a million I'm a bit skeptical given his injury history

Reactions: bhamill

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Someone will absolutely take him whether it be us or another team. I have nothing against Blais. I like his game a lot, he'd be a fan favorite if he could stay healthy. He's playing nowhere near his ability. Its a cap world. It would be a complete non-issue if he made what Vesey makes. But him getting cheap-shotted doesn't make him injury prone.. him battling injuries for the past 5 years with a couple significant ones in there is what makes him injury prone. A really cheap prove-it deal I'm fine with but anything above a million I'm a bit skeptical given his injury history
Yeah, I don't know which way its going to go for sure, but I'm sure NYR will make an offer.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Love the move. People are off their rockers. If he didn't have shit fancy stats and kind of suck you couldn't get him for free. That's kind of how it works.

Reactions: Daves a mess

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Barclay Buy-out
If a player in recent memory ever got an overpayment for being a part of a Cup winner, it's this guy.
I like Goodrow, but yeah big Cap Hit,
and his value diminishes when played 'up in the lineup' more often than just in spots
Would gladly send to Leafs for Knies and if they need relief, Kerfoot as rental ... 8^)

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Barclay Buy-out

If a player in recent memory ever got an overpayment for being a part of a Cup winner, it's this guy.
and of course... what stupid ass team handed him that bag-o-cash for 6 years???

The team that says they don't go after has-beens anymore with their giant checkbook?

"No we don't do that anymore"

- Chris Drury (aka Glen Sather)

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
and of course... what stupid ass team handed him that bag-o-cash for 6 years???

The team that says they don't go after has-beens anymore with their giant checkbook?

"No we don't do that anymore"

- Chris Drury (aka Glen Sather)
He's pacing for his best year point production wise, whatever you don't like about him or his contract, "has-been" doesnt apply.

Reactions: NYR Viper

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
To set expectations: Brett Howden has 3 points on the season and outplayed this Jake kid so badly the team decided it was time to dump him. Lol

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I never care about "pacing"

Ever. Never will

At the end of the season we'll tally it up. End of story.

I also care about relevance and cost per % of cap and for how long.
oh please. Hahahaha. That's just silly. We are basing it on half a season.
But how about this: Last year, his first with NYR was his highest scoring year.
Right now his PPG after 42 games is higher than last year.
Whatever you don't like about Goodrow and/or his contract, and/or "relevance and cost per % of cap and for how long" saying Drury signed him as a "has been" is just ridiculous. End of story.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
No one should have any expectations for Leschyshyn. He has obviously not made an impact in the NHL. He was waived. That's why he's here. The Rangers were not satisfied with Carpenter and apparently aren't satisfied with Brodzinski in that role. They want to try something else--for free!--before they have to try to use an asset other than a minimal amount of cap space to go get another guy. So, they're going to give Leschyshyn a chance. If he sucks, they're not going to keep him--just like they didn't stick with Carpenter and like they may not stick with Brodzinski. If he works out, fantastic. I feel like the reactions to this are over the top, although that checks out.

Reactions: cwede and bhamill

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad