Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Caps

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Caps fan here. Did Lundqvist put on Talbots pads and jersey last night? Dude was ridiculous. His save against Backstrom was save of the year quality stuff. That was the game right there.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Caps fan here. Did Lundqvist put on Talbots pads and jersey last night? Dude was ridiculous. His save against Backstrom was save of the year quality stuff. That was the game right there.

He's a good goalie. Could probably be a No. 1 for some teams. Rangers put a lot of development into him though and Benoit Allaire is a hell of a goalie coach. Talbot's not really a young kid. He's 27. He's had to work hard to get where he is.

All that being said--I think the Rangers are going to have moved him by this time next year. I'm thinking someone's going to come and grab him as a UFA otherwise.

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014
Man no one ever gets "beaten" "on hfboards, it's always the other team got lucky,no we really outplayed them but bounces, etc. Caps got outplayed for 2 periods and then locked down in the third but no the Rangers suck and the Caps are so great they just didn't want to play hard tonight no way it was the Rangers possibly just being the better team that night

Your comment prompted me to objectively read the Caps post-game comments. A few mentioned luck, some saying we were the better team, some that we'll kill them if we meet in the playoffs, some talking about Caps' roster issues, etc. Typical post loss response imho. I find fanbases here react about the same as anywhere else.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
im never expecting a loss against the Caps. Something about them, Holtby and the hole team outside Ovi and Nick Backstrom dont concern me in the slightest. Not the way the Isles, Lightning, and Pricenadiens do.

McDonagh27

Aug 3, 2005
Canada
Man no one ever gets "beaten" "on hfboards, it's always the other team got lucky,no we really outplayed them but bounces, etc. Caps got outplayed for 2 periods and then locked down in the third but no the Rangers suck and the Caps are so great they just didn't want to play hard tonight no way it was the Rangers possibly just being the better team that night

I know lots of Habs fans. This is exactly the same refrain I hear every time they lose. Just check out their GDTs. Excuses are an art form for some fans. Makes them feel better I guess. We all have our ways to cope.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Apparently the Ducks are better than anyone in the east. This is the team that's +10 in goal differential (taking out shootouts). The main boards just can't adjust their opinions. Because the Ducks were good last season they're better than the ****** east. :help:

Ducks have a +13 GD, but have 42 games of which only 34 are ROWs. That means their GD without shootouts is +5... Let that sink in for a moment.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Ducks have a +13 GD, but have 42 games of which only 34 are ROWs. That means their GD without shootouts is +5... Let that sink in for a moment.

We beat the Ducks 4-1 on their home ice. That team doesn't concern me in the least. A Boudreau coached team has never made it out of the second round and that's not changing this year.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Your comment prompted me to objectively read the Caps post-game comments. A few mentioned luck, some saying we were the better team, some that we'll kill them if we meet in the playoffs, some talking about Caps' roster issues, etc. Typical post loss response imho. I find fanbases here react about the same as anywhere else.

If we're talking about luck--the Klein injury was pretty much a freaky kind of thing and definitely wasn't good luck. Miller's goal was lucky/opportunistic. Ovie's goal was lucky--deflecting off Fast's stick changed the entire trajectory of the shot. He was not on target last night and that might have missed the net as well. I wouldn't call either Hagelin's or St. Louis goals lucky. Hagelin's off the rebound of a good play on net--Kreider read off Carlson--intercepted his pass and with daylight ahead nobody's catching him--unselfish pass to St. Louis and it's all over except for the Klein injury--which really sucks. I'd as soon give the Caps the two points and have Klein healthy.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
yeah I mean it's not everyone it's just always funny that a team can have a good third period while trailing (which is so common that it's statistically significant) and still lose yet people think 'well they outplayed the other team in the third period that shows that they really are the better team!'

but eh, not worth getting worked up about, main thing is that all of these teams at the top of the metro are dang good teams and hockey often comes down to bounces and some luck, it's just how it is. I thought the Rangers played pretty well last night and weren't realllly threatened in the 3rd period by the Caps but that's just my opinion

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
He's a good goalie. Could probably be a No. 1 for some teams. Rangers put a lot of development into him though and Benoit Allaire is a hell of a goalie coach. Talbot's not really a young kid. He's 27. He's had to work hard to get where he is.

All that being said--I think the Rangers are going to have moved him by this time next year. I'm thinking someone's going to come and grab him as a UFA otherwise.

Did not realize he was that old, interesting. Must be nice to have such a quality back up. Justin Peters is a disaster.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
This was absolutely a great week. We played the Blackhawks, Islanders and Capitals, all on the road in 4 days time and won all 3. 6 points and 6-2 in goals. That's sick! I cannot believe we went 3-0-0 with a 6-2 goal differential in 4 days against 3 play-off teams. With a back-up goalie, while travelling from city to city.

Proud to be a Rangers fan these last few years.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
yeah I mean it's not everyone it's just always funny that a team can have a good third period while trailing (which is so common that it's statistically significant) and still lose yet people think 'well they outplayed the other team in the third period that shows that they really are the better team!'

but eh, not worth getting worked up about, main thing is that all of these teams at the top of the metro are dang good teams and hockey often comes down to bounces and some luck, it's just how it is. I thought the Rangers played pretty well last night and weren't realllly threatened in the 3rd period by the Caps but that's just my opinion

That's playoff hockey to a "T". Get the lead and hold it in the 3rd. I really thought the Rangers came out and played a sound playoff type game.

Even though they were tired, they completely shut the Caps down in the 2nd and other than that one mad scramble where Cam came out of the crease to stop Ovechkin and then Boyle forced a shot wide, I don't think anything was very dangerous. McD/Girardi were excellent last night.

I was also pleased watching Yandle and Boyle. Firstly, Yandle can make an outlet pass second to none on this team and Boyle was excellent jumping into the play. If both can play like that in only 18-20 minutes of work, it really bodes well for a deep run.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Did not realize he was that old, interesting. Must be nice to have such a quality back up. Justin Peters is a disaster.

The Rangers signed him as a 22 year-old UFA out of the University of Alabama - Huntsville in 2010. He's worked his way up through the ECHL and AHL on his way to securing the backup job last season after Biron fell apart and decided to retire.

I think going to Huntsville was the best thing for his career. UAH plays a tough schedule, even though they finish with only a couple wins each season. He was peppered with high-quality shots against legit NCAA programs.

If I recall correctly, he only went to UAH because he couldn't even secure a backup spot at a more respectable program.

I don't know how the hell the Rangers scouts found this guy. He probably stood on his head against a NCAA powerhouse or something.

BLOCKERSAVE

Jan 16, 2013
So somehow St. Louis was able to keep up with Kreider on their 2 on 0. And yet he always looks so slow and lethargic when there isn't a prime scoring chance. Really makes me question his effort this year. Perhaps more than ever now.

I watched almost every game this year, I don't think St. Louis won one board battle. He seem like he has the Phil Kessel disease, body contact.

OnlyTruth

Objectivity&Justice
Dec 2, 2013
Maybe he is playing through an injury?

I could never understand why would a player play through an injury especially in the playoffs. That heroic stuff doesn't do any good for the team or the player. Especially when players are playing with broken fingers..etc, is just ridiculous IMO.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I could never understand why would a player play through an injury especially in the playoffs. That heroic stuff doesn't do any good for the team or the player. Especially when players are playing with broken fingers..etc, is just ridiculous IMO.

Well, we aren't in the playoffs. We are in a tough race for first in the Metro, East and NHL. Home ice advantage is huge. Maybe it isn't anything serious and he will be sat for the last few games of the season to recover.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
If we do happen to lose Klein for any amount of time I hope the bell rings in McD's head to pull it out of his axx and get back to his normal form.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
I'll say this for Glass, Tom Wilson really knew he was there last night. What a deterrent Glass is :nod:

:facepalm:

maybe AV saw what we all saw. our tough guy is dom moore and he puts the fear into the other teams top dog. wilson was done after moore dropped him. no need for glass' truculence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad