Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Canucks - December 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Isn't the rule if he puts his hand over the puck, its a penalty, but he's allowed to try to cover it up with other parts of his body? Isn't that exactly what he did?

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Isn't the rule if he puts his hand over the puck, its a penalty, but he's allowed to try to cover it up with other parts of his body? Isn't that exactly what he did?

I believe others have quoted the exact rule from the rulebook, which states that any intentional effort to cover the puck with any body part is a penalty. I'm paraphrasing, so hopefully I can find the exact verbiage.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Let's not make more or less of it than what it is.

Usually you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you.

This, however, was snatching defeat from the potential jaws of victory.

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle
Was Stoll not blocking the shot? if so:
A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player other than the
goalkeeper who deliberately falls on or gathers the puck into his body.
Any player who drops to his knees to block a shot should not be
penalized if the puck is shot under him or becomes lodged in his
clothing or equipment but any use of the hands to make the puck
unplayable should be penalized promptly.

I have never seen it called the way it was called last night.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Yeah, it was #5 not #6 on the ice, but neither was at fault for the goal, #24 and #61.

nope. Girardi is at fault. He completely blew his coverage against a WINGER that was deep in the zone... Instead, he skated into the middle of the ice covering someone who was already covered by Lindberg...

But keep living in denial...

Was Stoll not blocking the shot? if so:
A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player other than the
goalkeeper who deliberately falls on or gathers the puck into his body.
Any player who drops to his knees to block a shot should not be
penalized if the puck is shot under him or becomes lodged in his
clothing or equipment but any use of the hands to make the puck
unplayable should be penalized promptly.

I have never seen it called the way it was called last night.

same... it was a ridiculous call and the refs knew it.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
7th in goals scored... It's not that bad

That and the highest shooting percentage in the league. Really not sure where this "can't finish" nonsense comes from. This team is elite at finishing. Top three in shooting percentage last year and #1 so far this year.

We have holes but putting pucks in the net is not one of them.

I think people are just conditioned to blame our ability to finish which has historically been poor [if the Jagr teams could finish, they would have won a Cup] and don't realize it's elite now.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
That and the highest shooting percentage in the league. Really not sure where this "can't finish" nonsense comes from. This team is elite at finishing. Top three in shooting percentage last year and #1 so far this year.

We have holes but putting pucks in the net is not one of them.

I think people are just conditioned to blame our ability to finish which has historically been poor [if the Jagr teams could finish, they would have won a Cup] and don't realize it's elite now.

2014-15: 3rd
2013-14: 12th
2013: 12th
2011-12: 2nd
2010-11: 14th
2009-10: 20th
2008-09: 25th
2007-08: 23rd
2006-07: 16th
2005-06: 11th
2003-04: 17th
2002-03: 18th
2001-02: 12th
2000-01: 7th
1999-00: 17th
1998-99: 11th
1997-98: 22nd
1996-97: 4th
1995-96: 9th
1995: 12th
1993-94: 4th
1992-93: 15th
1991-92: 3rd

The Cinderella season was the first time we had a top3 offense since 1991-92!!! Having the 3rd best offense last season and now being 7th is better than most people realize.

I just don't get why people are complaining. We don't have an elite talent up front, like the Penguins (Crosby, Malkin), Blackhawks (Toews, Kane), Lightning (Stamkos), Capitals (Ovechkin), Dallas (Seguin, Benn). Yet, we are scoring 3+ goals per game. And no, I don't think Nash is on the same level as those players mentioned earlier.

Deleted member 23124

The problem is not that they can't score, it's that they can't score when it counts. How many 1-0 losses have they endured because they can't solve a rookie or backup goalie? How many powerplay chances have they squandered because they're too busy looking for that backdoor, across the crease tap in and/or they're too unselfish to shoot the puck

Then there's the "no Plan B" syndrome. If they don't score first, they don't seem to know what to do. If their fast breakouts and rushes are shut down (see Tampa Bay), they tend to try and force the issue.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
2014-15: 3rd
I just don't get why people are complaining. We don't have an elite talent up front, like the Penguins (Crosby, Malkin), Blackhawks (Toews, Kane), Lightning (Stamkos), Capitals (Ovechkin), Dallas (Seguin, Benn). Yet, we are scoring 3+ goals per game. And no, I don't think Nash is on the same level as those players mentioned earlier.

Playoffs goals per game
14-15 2.36, 7th
13-14 2.56, 11th
12-13 2.17, 10th

In the last two years they ranked 2nd and 3rd in playoff goals against per game.

It's not just scoring, I think it's the ratio between goal per game and goals against per game that needs to grow for them to win it all. They don't have really anywhere to go in the goal against department so unless they can figure out a way to keep the goals against among the playoff leader, and also score nearer to the league leaders pace, it's going to be difficult to beat those types of teams that can.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Adam Rotter posted some speculation that Kevin Hayes could be an early scratch tonight based on AV having a one-on-one conversation with Hayes at practice. AV said that the conversation wasn't a big deal, and that he was talking to other players as well.

Brooks cited AV saying this: "He says that Hayes has had "way too much east-west dangle" in his game so far and "too little urgency" both with and without the puck."

Now I don't think Hayes deserves to be scratched, but he definitely deserves to be bumped down back to center, while Miller or Etem gets a crack at being Brass and Zucc's winger.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Staying healthy is also quite important to winning the Cup. What happens if Zuccarello doesn't get that puck to the head?

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
Only speculation, but scratching Hayes and putting Glass/Etem in the lineup. What planet are we on?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
idk if it solves the Game 7 problems but I like the chances alot better.

Well, with Zuccarello, we might not even get to 7 games against Tampa. Zuccarello on that top-line (which played against the Johnson-line mostly) would add more defense compared to Miller who took his place after the injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia