Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Canucks - December 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
At one point i thought we were going to be on permanent 5 on 3 the entire period.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Been banging this drum since last summer.

This team cannot score. I asked who's going to replace the goals we lost with msl and hags leaving ? Answer, improvement from miller, hayes, fast and kreider. And stalberg snd etem. Um no.

This team lacks shooters. Finishers. Goal scorers. There is no player with any natural ability to finish. Not one.

Nash is beyond defense. He's just plain awful. Kreider does zero. Our best goal scorer ? Yup. Rookie Oscar lindberg. Where are we without his dreamy start ?

Losing games 2-1 will continue. This was an easy call back in the summer.

Last night so ironic. The most beat down guy- read teams worst player (not by a long shot), on this site, dan Boyle scores. And he does it on a penalty shot. So basically that's exactly zero production from the "scorers". Sad.

And don't blame the defense you fancy Stat corsi geeks. You won't win many, even with hanky, scoring only 1 goal.

Hank deserves better.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008

This team cannot score. I asked who's going to replace the goals we lost with msl and hags leaving ? Answer, improvement from miller, hayes, fast and kreider. And stalberg snd etem. Um no.

This team lacks shooters. Finishers. Goal scorers. There is no player with any natural ability to finish. Not one.

Nash is beyond defense. He's just plain awful. Kreider does zero. Our best goal scorer ? Yup. Rookie Oscar lindberg. Where are we without his dreamy start ?

Last night so ironic. The most beat down guy- read teams worst player (not by a long shot), on this site, dan Boyle scores. And he does it on a penalty shot. So basically that's exactly zero production from the "scorers". Sad.

And don't blame the defense you fancy Stat corsi geeks. You won't win many, even with hanky, scoring only 1 goal.

Hank deserves better.

But but but were like top 5 in goals for! I totally agree with you, and the problem is also imo the team is too soft. They need some guys with skill who play with a pulse and dictate the play. I hate Marchand but would love a guy like him. We keep saying it on here the Rangers are easy to scout and play against too many soft players who don't play with an edge

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

Hank deserves better.

If you predicted that many key players having bad years and not improving enough to make up the difference, on top of additions and replacements being inadequate as well, you might as well play the lottery because having

Hayes
Kreider
Fast
Stalberg
Etem
Miller

all fail to improve or contribute whilst rookie Oscar Lindberg outplays all of them, is probably the most unlikely and unpredictable scenario for this particular group of players. Um no? Oh yeah it was clear as day that half of the forward core was going to underachieve going in to this season. :sarcasm:

Give it a rest. Also, how are your McIlrath predictions panning out so far?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
If you predicted that many key players having bad years and not improving enough to make up the difference, on top of additions and replacements being inadequate as well, you might as well play the lottery because having

Hayes
Kreider
Fast
Stalberg
Etem
Miller

all fail to improve or contribute whilst rookie Oscar Lindberg outplays all of them, is probably the most unlikely and unpredictable scenario for this particular group of players. Um no? Oh yeah it was clear as day that half of the forward core was going to underachieve going in to this season. :sarcasm:

Give it a rest. Also, how are your McIlrath predictions panning out so far?

mcilraths predictions were as follows.

1. dumb pick at 10. still is, even today. dude.

2. wrong player to choose given others available. see: tarasenko, vladimir and others. bro.

3. never said he wouldn't play. just said the above. buddy.

4. I'm happy he's playing well. ill eat some crow when he becomes the guy gordie said he would. been saying that too. man.

as to this team not scoring, been saying it since last summer. in all honesty, wasnt too hard to see it coming.

for some of us anyway :laugh:

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
But but but were like top 5 in goals for! I totally agree with you, and the problem is also imo the team is too soft. They need some guys with skill who play with a pulse and dictate the play. I hate Marchand but would love a guy like him. We keep saying it on here the Rangers are easy to scout and play against too many soft players who don't play with an edge

correct.

to predictible, too soft, too mechanical and too pass oriented. perimeter play and fancy passes.

no dirty, ugly, grimy goals. the pretty goals are great, but they aren't the ones that win and tie close games.

we need playoff type goal scorers, and we have none.

in fact, we have the best non payoff goal scorer type in the league. he's the poster boy for not scoring from 2 ft out- where by the way, he should feast.

its funny, or sad, our biggest, baddest players, nash at 6'4, kreider 6'3 and hayes 6'5 are perhaps the softest guys on the team.

while mr zuccarello, at maybe 5' 6 + is one of our our toughest players.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Fell asleep in the second intermission.

Sounds like I didn't miss much.

Watching Hayes pass up open looks has got to be one of the most infuriating things with this team and that is really saying something.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I'm really not getting AV's enamored feelings about the McD-G pairing...

and you have Yandle-McIlrath playing probably one of their best games of the year, so you bench McIlrath...

I'm not going to be a coach from my chair, but if these guys are having such a good game, then why are you benching them?

I have two theories:

a) He's trying to "get dan going" but trotting them out together to ensure that they aren't indeed a 1st pairing in the NHL.... but I'm not sure how much longer he needs to look at this...

b) League perception. If Nashville's #5 dman in Klein becomes our #1 RHD, pushing Girardi down to the 2nd, that affects the view of Girardi around the league. Perhaps he's trying to keep dan's reputation on the up and up?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I'm really not getting AV's enamored feelings about the McD-G pairing...

and you have Yandle-McIlrath playing probably one of their best games of the year, so you bench McIlrath...

I'm not going to be a coach from my chair, but if these guys are having such a good game, then why are you benching them?

I have two theories:

a) He's trying to "get dan going" but trotting them out together to ensure that they aren't indeed a 1st pairing in the NHL.... but I'm not sure how much longer he needs to look at this...

b) League perception. If Nashville's #5 dman in Klein becomes our #1 RHD, pushing Girardi down to the 2nd, that affects the view of Girardi around the league. Perhaps he's trying to keep dan's reputation on the up and up?

in defense of KK, nashville has a pretty good defense. then and now both. 5th there is still pretty solid.

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
What the hell is this team doing... Are they gonna choke vs the Oil too?

Meanwhile at Auf's:

simpsons-angry-mob.jpg

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
On a positive note, the team (apart from the obvious stragglers like G) has been at least playing better as of late, despite not putting pucks in the back of the net. A lot better than when we were on our win streak.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Really thought they would win this one. Going on the road after being home for a while... West coast swing with the boys after a good win at home, travel yes but 2 days in between games.

Last years team would've won this. Its a feel about the team thats different now. You could have almost predicted the games they would play well in (well, it was almost all of them) last season. Especially on the road.

Somethings missing - maybe its leadership, maybe its Stepan or the speed/threat of the pair of Hagelin and Kreider and how they were used last year. Maybe players are regressing. Maybe its Nash, maybe its the aging defense or a combination of all of those things. They don't have that aura about them on the road that we saw in years past and thats concerning - because its that type of gutty, gritty, determined road play that closely resembles their postseason play in any rink. Maybe something should be said about MSLs leadership off the ice.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
We scored 4 goals a game ago and Miller played the game of his season, what is this we can't score schtick? We didn't score more than once this game. That never happen ms to teams that can score?

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
in defense of KK, nashville has a pretty good defense. then and now both. 5th there is still pretty solid.

I completely agree, and I won't dispute that... but he was still the 5th best guy...

Him going from a #5 to a #2 in a matter of 2 years and a new coach at age 31 speaks volumes of how bad Girardi actually is...

None of this should matter. Girardi isn't performing well in a top pairing role, so it makes sense to start backing him down... issue is that we have to start swapping sides for some of these guys for this to work, especially if we are to keep Yandle-McIlrath (which as far as I am concerned, AV won't do it, which is a sad shame)... Either way, Girardi's play, and therefore his reputation would further benefit by playing against lesser competition, so I'm not sure what the hold up is here...

This is what our defenseman rankings are in terms of skill levels and ability to compete in a game...

1) McDonagh
2) Yandle
3) Klein
4) McIlrath
5) Girardi
6) Boyle
7) Staal
8) Diaz

Then you have to consider pairings, and quite honestly, we're only going to see good performance if (assuming nobody suffers from switching sides) we modify the pairings like so:

McDonagh-Staal
Yandle-McIlrath
Girardi-Boyle

That is the ONLY way to balance this defense out at this point... If that can't be done, then we need to start trading guys immediately... Staal-Boyle isn't a terrible pairing, but it's at the expense of McDonagh-Girardi, which is a problem...

One of Staal/Girardi for a forward with a similar cap hit, shorter term, and needing a change of scenery... That's why I've been suggesting Staal for Atkinson... maybe tossing in one of Etem/Miller/Fast

The only other possibility is if Girardi can mimick McIlrath's game when he's paired with Yandle...

McDonagh-Klein
Yandle-Girardi/McIlrath
Staal-Boyle

Girardi/McIlrath
Diaz

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
We scored 4 goals a game ago and Miller played the game of his season, what is this we can't score schtick? We didn't score more than once this game. That never happen ms to teams that can score?

nope. no team ever has a scoring slump. ever.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
It wasn't even a bad game... It was a bad 2-3 minute span in the 3rd period that decided the game. It happens sometimes. When has the team we see in Oct-Dec looked the same as the team we see in the new year heading towards the playoffs?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Can't be too mad over the results of the game. They played well - just couldn't score. And full credits to Sedin on that tip.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York

Hank deserves better.

When our top pairing has spent all season trapped in the D zone for most of the game, it definitely is partly the defense.

The problem with last night was that Hayes and Miller can't convert on wide open nets. Kreider's disappearing act hurts. We do need a top 6 winger, no doubt. But the abysmal play from the D compounds the poor play from Kreider, Hayes and Miller.

The offense misses Stepan and Zucarello/Brass are slumping. The offense is not the problem when healthy.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think they are both issues, the D not managing the puck well, and the lack of pure goal scorers.

In the playoffs they have been better at moving the puck, but the goal scoring or lack of has also been an issue. Some teams are putting up ~3 goals per game, Rangers more like ~2.3, They partially make up for it by giving up less, but game by game any goals given up (any mistake that ends up as a goal against) are just tougher to equalize and overcome.

I am not sure in the playoffs they have the potential to get closer to ~3 goals per game and I am not sure they have the potential to give up less as they are usually already among the playoff leaders in not giving up goals against.

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle
I totally forgot that the Rangers played the Canucks until Monday and by then I kinda was lazy/cheep and did not go to the game. After watching it I'm glad I saved my money.
They won puck battles, they had the puck but they played a sloppy sloppy game with the puck. That was the worst passing game the NYR have had all season.
Also that Stoll penalty changed the entire game. That was a bad bad call. That is what you teach kids to do, if you block a shot and fall on the puck, don't move.
I was watching the Canadian feed and I did not see a replay of the penalty shot call. Was the puck covered with a glove in the creese?
Either way that game was completely ruined by the refs in the third.
That was a game the Rangers should have won 5-2 but because of the sloppiness I knew it would be close but the refs just took over that game.
At least AV showed emotion, haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad