Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Canucks - December 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
because he lost his cool and got called for it or are you in growing number that he is not that good of a coach?

saying he made bad coaching decisions is not the same as hes a bad coach.

i think hes a very good coach, i think his roster decisions are horrible at times.

Tanner Glass.....do I really need to say more?

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle
saying he made bad coaching decisions is not the same as hes a bad coach.

i think hes a very good coach, i think his roster decisions are horrible at times.

Tanner Glass.....do I really need to say more?

EE does not help this team either. I think he picked the harder worker, coaches reward that.
Maybe playing Glass is to build his value, or the hope of some.
I agree with you, just saying you never know what else is going on. Maybe EE is still sick.
Other then AV not keeping his cool, I do not see how he lost the Rangers that game. They played sloppy. Poor passing and low % plays in the O zone will loose games.
I think EE will get the next game and I hope he takes hold of this opportunity.
This is going to sound crazy but with the way McI was shooting the puck last night, he should have been on the left side point for one timers on the PP. He does not mess around he just hammers the puck.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
EE does not help this team either. I think he picked the harder worker, coaches reward that.
Maybe playing Glass is to build his value, or the hope of some.
I agree with you, just saying you never know what else is going on. Maybe EE is still sick.
Other then AV not keeping his cool, I do not see how he lost the Rangers that game. They played sloppy. Poor passing and low % plays in the O zone will loose games.
I think EE will get the next game and I hope he takes hold of this opportunity.
This is going to sound crazy but with the way McI was shooting the puck last night, he should have been on the left side point for one timers on the PP. He does not mess around he just hammers the puck.

EE does help this team in that he actually makes the 4th line a decent threat. The issue with Glass is he's just there. Thankfully he's not actively hurting the team the way he was in the past, but when you have a guy like EE who can skate and has some offense and is equally mediocre on defense, you play him over TG every single time. What does TG do beyond taking himself out of the play to hit a guy or trip over the blue line on an offensive rush? It makes ZERO sense to play TG when you have EE ready to play.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
It's another December in Rangertown. I'm not worried.

preach. This year we have a nice cushion too.

I am worried about AVs reluctance to play Yandle and McIlrath together though. They're simply dominant as a pair, yet McI ends up with Staal every game if he's not plastered to the bench. I understand trying to stack Yandle and Boyle when down a goal, but based on McI's play it's hard to justify.

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle
EE does help this team in that he actually makes the 4th line a decent threat. The issue with Glass is he's just there. Thankfully he's not actively hurting the team the way he was in the past, but when you have a guy like EE who can skate and has some offense and is equally mediocre on defense, you play him over TG every single time. What does TG do beyond taking himself out of the play to hit a guy or trip over the blue line on an offensive rush? It makes ZERO sense to play TG when you have EE ready to play.

Glass is bad, but EE has not played that well as of yet. It is a mistake I just don't see how it costs the Rangers the game

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle
preach. This year we have a nice cushion too.

I am worried about AVs reluctance to play Yandle and McIlrath together though. They're simply dominant as a pair, yet McI ends up with Staal every game if he's not plastered to the bench. I understand trying to stack Yandle and Boyle when down a goal, but based on McI's play it's hard to justify.

It is the way AV coaches. He is very situational. Who he believes is the right player for the right situation is who he is going with.
When it works he is a genius when it does not it is his fault. That is the gamble he takes. Boyle for the penalty shot was a gamble(not a huge one) and it paid off.
They played well just sloppy. Sloppy play by Nash led to the game winning goal. Rangers are not known for being sloppy so this is just another loss in a down part of the season, it will be forgotten soon

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
He's had his time limited in every game late because AV doesn't trust him in the 3rd period.

But he trusts the ****ing Hardy Boys to go out there and get scored on every ****ing time.

We lost the game because of a textbook, surgeon handed redirect by Sedin. How would McIlrath changed that?

Look I agree the old guard in the D are shells of themselves, but I believe it's due to a lot of miles after long hard runs including the Torts shot blocking years. I don't think the D lacks "hockey IQ."

That being said, McIlrath is playing well, but he needs to be sheltered for a bit. It doesn't mean he's playing great in low minutes because are are playing crappy in huge minutes. It means he's playing well and learning he game. McIlrath could easily be exploited in a third period whether people are happy with the D core or not.

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle
We lost the game because of a textbook, surgeon handed redirect by Sedin. How would McIlrath changed that?

Look I agree the old guard in the D are shells of themselves, but I believe it's due to a lot of miles after long hard runs including the Torts shot blocking years. I don't think the D lacks "hockey IQ."

That being said, McIlrath is playing well, but he needs to be sheltered for a bit. It doesn't mean he's playing great in low minutes because are are playing crappy in huge minutes. It means he's playing well and learning he game. McIlrath could easily be exploited in a third period whether people are happy with the D core or not.

To go along with you:
Awesome play, what can you do...unless you are Nash, then you can get the puck out of the zone when the D passes it up the boards.
Yandle and Boyle get put into situations for them to succeed, Mac and G get hard minutes vs top lines(maybe they should not anymore, I do not know), so comparing what Yandle does against 3-4 lines to what happens against the Sedins is not fair/=. Look at zone starts, Yandle gets cozy O-zone starts and Mac, G, Staal and KK get crap work.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Girardi blown coverage in front of the net led directly to Sedin's tip-in.

If you watch the play again, the battle for the puck on the wall led to a lot of players out of position, Girardi initially covered Lindberg's position in the defensive coverage once Vancouver got the puck and Lindberg covered Girardi's position, but Lindberg made the decision to vacate that position, which led to an open Sedin. I think it was played fine by Girardi, Lindberg just lost track of Sedin.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Looks like Lindberg follows Hansen into the slot but McDonagh is already there. I'm willing to chalk that play up to the Sedins being the Sedins. But once again, McDonagh-Girardi just not getting it done as a top pair.

What did they not get done? Its their fault the forward line wasn't doing their job defensively?

In a man-to-man system, I would think you're supposed to stick with the guy you're assigned to. And in any system, there's no point where your D should be covering their point man, which is where Girardi was going.

So just leave a wide open Henrik Sedin? Girardi did the right thing, Lindberg was nowhere close to Henrik Sedin, the guy he should be covering, and Girardi was close to him, so their defensive assignments were switched temporarily. Henrik Sedin would've been wide open, had Girardi not went to cover him. After this switch is noticed, Lindberg has to stick with Daniel Sedin until they can switch back. You don't ****ing roam around the ice leaving a player like Daniel Sedin wide open in front. And if we want to blame another person for this goal, its Nash for having a controller disconnected moment with his coverage of Edler, allowing an uncontested pass.

Seriously, you people try ****ing everything you can to blame Girardi when he's not at fault. He played a good game. Its unbelievable how he gets blamed in a game like this.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
We played well. Refs had a really bad game. That Stoll penalty was not a penalty. A few other questionable calls with some penalties, and a potential goalie interference. We hits two posts, and had the majority of the shots. I thought we were the better team, but they won. Games like this happen.

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
We were clearly outplaying them until they had the 5 on 3 handed to them. Stoll may have been guilty of a delay of game but you never see that called. The call on AV clapping on the bench is bogus too. These two calls turned the game around. I think they gifted us the penalty shot but it did not make up for turning the game around. The Nucks were not even in the game until then.

Yeah but after all that, the game was tied. Allowing Vancouver to tie the game on the very next shift was gutless.

No worries when this team has a lead but as Tampa last year showed, weather the inevitable 40 minute storm, get a lead, go into the shell and that's the road map to beating the NYR.

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
What ever happened to the poster who believed Kreider was the best and most valuable Ranger?

52 seconds into that playoff game in Washington last year a bunch of us were starting to believe that.

In my opinion, over the summer, he went to a shrink that had no interest in anything other than getting him to commit to more psychiatry.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
What did they not get done? Its their fault the forward line wasn't doing their job defensively?

So just leave a wide open Henrik Sedin? Girardi did the right thing, Lindberg was nowhere close to Henrik Sedin, the guy he should be covering, and Girardi was close to him, so their defensive assignments were switched temporarily. Henrik Sedin would've been wide open, had Girardi not went to cover him. After this switch is noticed, Lindberg has to stick with Daniel Sedin until they can switch back. You don't ****ing roam around the ice leaving a player like Daniel Sedin wide open in front. And if we want to blame another person for this goal, its Nash for having a controller disconnected moment with his coverage of Edler, allowing an uncontested pass.

Seriously, you people try ****ing everything you can to blame Girardi when he's not at fault. He played a good game. Its unbelievable how he gets blamed in a game like this.
I thought Girardi was fine last night but McDonagh not so much

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
In a man-to-man system, I would think you're supposed to stick with the guy you're assigned to.

Certainly no disagreement here, though you can admit that there are hand-offs in a man-to-man system. For example, when wingers change side. So sometimes assignments get a bit helter-skelter.

And in any system, there's no point where your D should be covering their point man, which is where Girardi was going.

Ehhh, I disagree on this point. He's going to the high slot, marking Henrik Sedin. Nash bolts to the lone point man (Edler?) who makes the pass. Girardi is not going to the blue line as you'd suggest, or marking a defenseman. He's marking the center who was just along the wall on Girardi's side of the ice.

I'm not categorically saying Girardi wasn't at fault. I just personally think that on this instance, it was miscommunication between Nash and Girardi, plus the Sedins being the Sedins, plus Lindberg not "handing off" his man to McDonagh in front of the net and pressuring the point man (which Nash in turn had to do).

Would love to hear other opinions on this though. Glad we're actually talking hockey x's and o's, and not having a "Girardi is an ECHL player" or "Nash suuuuuux" conversation like we've had to endure all too often on these boards!

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
We played well. Refs had a really bad game. That Stoll penalty was not a penalty. A few other questionable calls with some penalties, and a potential goalie interference. We hits two posts, and had the majority of the shots. I thought we were the better team, but they won. Games like this happen.

I don't know, man. I agree the NHL doesn't call that often, but it's in the rule book and in my opinions SHOULD be called 100% of the time. The Vancouver players backed away, and Stoll didn't move a muscle!

Let's put it this way, how pissed would you be if the roles were reversed and the Rangers didn't get a powerplay out of that?

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
I don't know, man. I agree the NHL doesn't call that often, but it's in the rule book and in my opinions SHOULD be called 100% of the time. The Vancouver players backed away, and Stoll didn't move a muscle!

Let's put it this way, how pissed would you be if the roles were reversed and the Rangers didn't get a powerplay out of that?
Its happen before against the rangers and no penalty.

Stoll was getting jabbed at. Has anyone gotten jabbed at multiple times with a hockey stick? No very ****ing fun. Thats why he went into a turtle.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Its happen before against the rangers and no penalty.

Stoll was getting jabbed at. Has anyone gotten jabbed at multiple times with a hockey stick? No very ****ing fun. Thats why he went into a turtle.

Absolutely I have, but granted I was a goalie, so maybe my extra padding created a bias.:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad