GDT: Rangers@Canes

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I think Gostisbehere has been just fine. Would like to see more offense, but he seems much better defensively than advertised, at least in my eyes.

Puljujarvi, yeesh, gotta score on some of those opportunities. Otherwise, fine bottom 6 addition.

Lack of scoring is glaring, Jarvis has been in a funk most of the season and they don't have an answer in the minors. I actually wouldn't mind Stromwall coming up. It won't happen, but he seems like the closest thing to an offense-first guy they have down there. Getting a look at Rees/Ponomarev/Honka would be good too in the last stretch, but again, I doubt it happens. They're going to need to play balls to the wall to win the division and avoid the Rangers in the first round and RBA is likely to ride his vets chasing the division title.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I’d really like to see Rees or stromwall at least get a game or two in. Both can provide more offence than Marty at least.
Do the Wolves play the same system as Canes?

If not, it would be a problem come playoff time bringing guys up. In any event, getting 1st is important and I hope the Canes do it early enough so that we can get those guys some experience playing in the system/NHL in case they are needed due to injury.

btw: agree that Pool Party's shot is not as strong as it should be but it seems to meet his current profile. He is a big player but doesn't hit much or use his physical size as he should. Hopefully, under the Staff's tutelage he will improve.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Do the Wolves play the same system as Canes?

If not, it would be a problem come playoff time bringing guys up. In any event, getting 1st is important and I hope the Canes do it early enough so that we can get those guys some experience playing in the system/NHL in case they are needed due to injury.

btw: agree that Pool Party's shot is not as strong as it should be but it seems to meet his current profile. He is a big player but doesn't hit much or use his physical size as he should. Hopefully, under the Staff's tutelage he will improve.
Not sure I assume they do? Charlotte did I’m pretty sure. Regardless Rees stromwall or panomarev can at least bring some offence to that second line. I think it’s worth a look at some point hopefully if they lock first up with a few games left

Reactions: zman77

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I think the right call would be to bring up Rees and put him with Aho and Necas for a few games. Look at what Jarvis did last year when he was given the opportunity to excel with top 6 minutes, there’s every chance a guy like Rees who has that natural offensive instinct will just come up and put in some out of this world performances.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
There‘s 12 games remaining, and it’s still looking likely that our powerplay will be the main reason we fail to go far.

Which normally wouldn’t be a major issue, except it’s been looking like that since Game 1. And special teams was a main reason we’ve failed to go far in years past.

So at some point, it probably should have been addressed in a way beyond “Hey, here’s a new guy to try in the same tired formation that everyone in the league has figured out by now.”

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Good game. Andersen was in great form last night, he played excellent. This helped erase a bit of my concern. Shesterkin, however, was better. He was amazing. First star of the game in my eyes. On the one hand, I'm glad Andersen played well, but on the other hand, we haven't had our goalie outplay the other goalie in forever.

My biggest takeaway was Jarvis. I wasn't trying to look out for him, but good God I noticed him doing the wrong thing 100% of the time. His line constantly set him up and he fumbled the puck in the crease. You have Aho strip the puck away from a guy, rims it up the boards to Necas, who fakes one way and eludes a defender to get a little space, dishes it back to the point, opens up a little space, dishes it back to Necas who comes low, cross ices it to Aho, who feeds it to Jarvis who is OPEN IN THE CREASE AND! ... it goes right through Jarvis's skates.

I'm sure something like this happened at least 10 times last night. He is killing the first line. The exact same thing happened with Pulju on it. The only goal we scored was an individual effort by Aho, assisted by Necas. As long as Jarvis is in his funk, he's killing every offensive play. On one play he skated between two players near the blueline who were passing it to each other to create a little space. There's 95% of the offensive zone open and Jarvy skates BETWEEN the two guys controlling the puck. Why did he roam there? He's lost. He has no confidence. He also has some defensive mistakes that helped contributed to a goal against.

Unfortunately without two of our top wings we have very few options. I'd move Stefan Noesen to the top line. That makes the most sense to me. Or, put Jack Drury up there, or maybe even Stepan. Stepan has no speed, but he can bury those slot plays and has nice hands. Necas and Aho can do all the work on their line.

I thought the 2nd line was great, even with Martinook being a spaz. Kotkaniemi had a really great night, but with some turnovers. He has figured out the system and is making great little plays all night. He's a keeper. He has good chemistry with Teuvo.

There‘s 12 games remaining, and it’s still looking likely that our powerplay will be the main reason we fail to go far.

Which normally wouldn’t be a major issue, except it’s been looking like that since Game 1. And special teams was a main reason we’ve failed to go far in years past.

So at some point, it probably should have been addressed in a way beyond “Hey, here’s a new guy to try in the same tired formation that everyone in the league has figured out by now.”
On the PP, I think it'd go a long way for Rod to play the 2nd unit first. Do it for an entire game. Light a fire under the first unit. Make them earn the time back. I think that's the motivation to get them going. The 2nd unit looks pretty good when they get it set up. They move the puck around the zone. They also have 25 seconds of PP time left at that point, so there's not much they can do.

LBS I Digress

Jan 30, 2022
Diggin In
It's 2023, not 2003. There are plenty of players his size that are good to elite players. He's never going to be a Jack Hughes, Mitch Marner or Patrick Kane but I don't see why he can't become similar to say Clayton Keller in a year or two.
While I definitely agree he can be the size he is and just fine in todays NHL, I do think one of his biggest problems rn is his strength when he’s skating with the puck.

He clearly can get pushed around sometimes out there and that only gets amplified over a long season and an even more physical post season.

I don’t know if I would say someone like Jack Hughes is leaps and bounds more skilled than Seth as a hockey player, but he is without a doubt a stronger skater with the puck.

ONO94

Jan 18, 2010
Fox scores.. :(
Ok--maybe I'm blind, but I have looked at the Fox goal a few times and it looks like the puck hits the bar and doesn't go in--does anybody have an shot from above that shows the puck actually go in?

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Speaking of Jarvis, it's just more of the same with our forwards. It seems like we always have multiple forwards in our top 6 that go long stretches in a funk/not generating goals or sometimes even assists. If we had just Svech back, but especially if we had him AND Pacioretty in the lineup, then we could probably make do with a couple of players going MIA on the scoresheet for quite a few games. However, we obviously can't being down two of our best forwards.

Regarding the powerplay, I think Tripp had a good idea with at some point putting Ghost AND Burns together on PP1. That's probably something Rod wants to keep in his back pocket for the playoffs. Too many times, including last night, one or both of the PP units doesn't even put up 1 shot (they didn't have a shot at all after two PPs; so awful and more of the same). Putting two of your best PP players together on the same unit probably helps at least a little.

I also think it's worth calling up whatever forward they think would be best from the AHL. Worse case scenario, they have an idea about how the guy will be on the team if we get another injured forward in the playoffs.

Finally, although not surprisingly, Poolparty has struggled offensively, I agree with Chaz that I think he had his best game last night. I think for the foreseeable future at least, he should stay on the 4th line and provide good depth on that line. Hopefully he'll continue to have more games like last night, and if so, it's only a matter of time before he gets his first goal or first assist for Carolina. Or at least, I sure hope so.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
It’s taken me about 3 seasons to finally come to terms with the fact that offense is secondary, like way far back secondary, to defense with the Hurricanes. It’s one of the reasons I think it could to be hard to keep top six UFA talent around, but that’s a totally separate discussion for a different time.

They’re not going to call up an offensive guy from Chicago because they want the defensively responsible guy.

The KK line is the 3rd line, Staal line is the 2nd.

Jarvis looks like ass, he’s looked like ass for a lot of the season imo. And he’s been given more opportunity than any other player I can remember since Rod took over this team.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

And while overall our PP has risen to about middle of the league overall, it's worth noting that we got 7/46 PPG (literally 15% of our PPGs) in TWO games right after we got Ghost...

Reactions: Tryamw

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
One of 99.5 guys was interviewing Tripp about the rest of the season and playoffs and asked him why the team mgt and front office are choosing the hardest path to success with their strategic choices? “You’re asking for the games to be stressful nail-biters as a result of not altering the strategy or personnel (even considering the injury situation).”

Tripp agreed with him but said maybe the Powerplay could save the day. And maybe a couple of guys will step up.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
He/she (I'm assuming it's a he though) would basically ruin the experience for me if I sat next to him even if the Canes had won.

Pump your brakes Doc Emrick Jr., you aren't a broadcaster, and you're an annoying tool. If people wanted play by play, they would've stayed home.

Tbh, I had to look it up since that was a little before my time. It says it's an anime on Wikipedia, so I guess. Visually it sure looks like one.

They hate Rod? I'm sure it's because he's a great coach and is well loved.

Anyway, I only wanted to say that Andersen kept the team in the game with a lot of big saves IMO, and the guys in front of him didn't deliver in the 3rd period. I'm curious how much puck possession we had in the 3rd compared to them.

Well I just through certain means and channels learned that its a violation of site rules to ask the Rangers fans on here what the definition of a "trap game" is.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Poolparty being underwhelming should have been expected. Has some NHL skills, but lacks almost everything else to be a consistent NHL player as he's a lot like another former Oilers bust in Magnus Svensson Paarjarvi.

Ghost is pretty much a waste playing on the #2 PP unit while having to be babysat by Chatfield at ES. He did have a really good recovery play last night but that's mostly because he's pretty lost going back to his own zone a lot of the time.

I wouldn't mind seeing some call ups but I don't really see it happening. They'd probably rather go into the playoffs with underperforming players who already have a few games under their belt with the team rather than throwing rookies straight into the deep end.

What if they dress 7 D and only let him on the ice during PP?

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
What if they dress 7 D and only let him on the ice during PP?
I originally thought that could be an option and it probably should be given a little more thought now that Svech is out for the season and we don't exactly have tons of depth on the 4th line we absolutely have to play. But I don't think Rod is a fan of running 7 D and likes the flexibility of having 12 forwards considering they seem more likely to be injured and have to leave the game this season. Also Ghost is really not that bad defensively that we have to go to that length to shelter him and it's not like having de Haan and Chatfield reunited on the 3rd pairing is going to be much of a game changer when we mostly need our forwards to start consistently scoring goals again. I do think it would be nice to rotate between Ghost and Burns on the top powerplay unit because some nights Burns just doesn't seem to have it lately and it would be nice to at least cut down a bit on his icetime and give him a little rest heading into the playoffs.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
This was a great Play by the Ghost!!

I noted they are both executing Burnsie's patented Starfish Defense Protocol that is famous from his Shorks era.

To the untrained eye it might look like just swimming and flailing. Pity the fool.

(Fukken hell. Needed to win this one. Grumble grumble.)

Reactions: DaveG

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
One of 99.5 guys was interviewing Tripp about the rest of the season and playoffs and asked him why the team mgt and front office are choosing the hardest path to success with their strategic choices? “You’re asking for the games to be stressful nail-biters as a result of not altering the strategy or personnel (even considering the injury situation).”

Tripp agreed with him but said maybe the Powerplay could save the day. And maybe a couple of guys will step up.
excellent point. I was thinking about their system and how it requires maximum effort to tilt a game in their favor. there are times when the team looks gassed, including some brief stretches of the last Ranger game. RBA does a good job of managing TOI but there isn't a lot of offense to fall back on.

I still have concerns they needed to acquire 2 forwards at the deadline, with poolparty being more of a reclamation project. I would paid a first for a rental to make sure this happened. It might have only netted a Kevin Hayes but there were multiple teams selling at the deadline. Their forward depth is a major concern for me right now.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
excellent point. I was thinking about their system and how it requires maximum effort to tilt a game in their favor. there are times when the team looks gassed, including some brief stretches of the last Ranger game. RBA does a good job of managing TOI but there isn't a lot of offense to fall back on.

I still have concerns they needed to acquire 2 forwards at the deadline, with poolparty being more of a reclamation project. I would paid a first for a rental to make sure this happened. It might have only netted a Kevin Hayes but there were multiple teams selling at the deadline. Their forward depth is a major concern for me right now.
Nope. There was no combo of forwards that would have made up for the goals they lost from Svech+Patches at the prices that would have had to be paid, especially with the number of desperate buyers in the market

This team is not built to make noise at the deadline. That's just the fact. Do the best with what you can in the upcoming playoffs, and load up for next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad