Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Bruins - November 27

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
On the Stepan hit. It was a bad hit by Beleskey. It could have been a boarding major. I've seen Kreider tagged with that kind of penalty for less. At least a minor. That being said Derek needs to be a little more alert there. He got caught daydreaming.

Personally I'm not a fan of NHL officiating at all---I think it really sucks--however when it comes to instigator penalties there seems to be more than the average amount of consistency about how these calls are made by the referees. Today's instigator call was pretty typical. Someone really levels someone and 1. a teammate either wades in on the guy and starts throwing or 2. he calls the guy--drops the gloves and starts throwing. I'm thinking that today it was 2. Beleskey levels Stepan. McIlrath yells at him and drops the gloves and wades in on Beleskey. If a referee spots someone jumping a guy or hears a player yelling at someone that he's coming--he's going to nail the initiator with an instigation penalty. That the same refs ****ed up on the non-call hit on Stepan goes without saying. The instigator penalty here though is really automatic for the kind of thing that McIlrath did.

Personally I don't like the rule.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Our forwards are a problem defensively too.

Kreider, Hayes, Miler, and Etem are all clueless. Lindberg has potential but a lot to learn. Fast looked like Jere Lehtinen defensively last year and suddenly he's Enver Lisin this year. Stepan is a wonderful penalty killer, but I always thought he was overrated at even strength. Stalberg is great along the boards but gives pucks away. Stoll is slower than me.

The only fowards I really like defensively are Moore, Brassard, Zucc, and Nash, and three of them are on the same line.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
It's not like Staal plays to his size anyway. Another in a long line of soft big guys on this team.

Hey...come on now...don't be harsh....Staal is the best slapfighter we have....he more than held his own against Semin a few years ago . :laugh:

Sounds like I missed another great Ranger effort today . I'll have to find a link to the replay somewhere...anyone ???

truebluegoalie

Nov 28, 2008
Virginia
On the Stepan hit. It was a bad hit by Beleskey. It could have been a boarding major. I've seen Kreider tagged with that kind of penalty for less. At least a minor. That being said Derek needs to be a little more alert there. He got caught daydreaming.

Personally I'm not a fan of NHL officiating at all---I think it really sucks--however when it comes to instigator penalties there seems to be more than the average amount of consistency about how these calls are made by the referees. Today's instigator call was pretty typical. Someone really levels someone and 1. a teammate either wades in on the guy and starts throwing or 2. he calls the guy--drops the gloves and starts throwing. I'm thinking that today it was 2. Beleskey levels Stepan. McIlrath yells at him and drops the gloves and wades in on Beleskey. If a referee spots someone jumping a guy or hears a player yelling at someone that he's coming--he's going to nail the initiator with an instigation penalty. That the same refs ****ed up on the non-call hit on Stepan goes without saying. The instigator penalty here though is really automatic for the kind of thing that McIlrath did.

Personally I don't like the rule.

I agree. But it wasn't just the blown call against stepan, it was also a clear missed gi call and a bunch of holds not called after the fast call. Typical Chris Rooney officiated game. A veteran ref would have realized why mcilrath stepped in and would have evened it up.

Also, talk about being sore winners after the game, those remarks by jullien and marchand were really pathetic.
I remember when torts got fined by the league for calling out Crosby. Guess that won't happen here.

TankLarkin

Will Cuylle is Ready.
Mar 3, 2012
Rochester, NY
I would argue Belesky instigated the whole thing with a late hit on our top center. Instigator rule brought us the staged fight while enabling guys like Rafi Torres and Marchand. Seeing that fighting has pretty much been eradicated it's time to right the ship and get rid of such an asinine rule. Bettman outlawed hunting and now the exploding deer population has become a nuisance. Another misnomer: Dylan is on the bench to deter stuff like what happened to Stephan today. He's not. 20 years ago, of course.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009

Kreider, Hayes, Miler, and Etem are all clueless. Lindberg has potential but a lot to learn. Fast looked like Jere Lehtinen defensively last year and suddenly he's Enver Lisin this year. Stepan is a wonderful penalty killer, but I always thought he was overrated at even strength. Stalberg is great along the boards but gives pucks away. Stoll is slower than me.

The only fowards I really like defensively are Moore, Brassard, Zucc, and Nash, and three of them are on the same line.

This is a valid point, I think so much focus is directed towards the defensemen's blunders that sometimes the defensive shortcomings of our forwards are overlooked.

Fast has definitely taken a step back since last year, and I've given up hope on Miller ever developing into the 2-way player that he was projected to become.

And because our forwards are so eager to transition to offense, they often abandon the defensive zone too early, leaving the 2 defensemen with no support and more of an opportunity to screw up.

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
Zucc with a 3 game pointless streak. Not liking it. He has to get it together. Looks like he is hitting a drought.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Im havin sex w u rn
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Rangers were 6th in GA with a blueline of Redden, Roszival, Staal, Girardi, Mara, and Kalinin/Morris in 08-09

I would say that dispels the notion that this is an elite defense.

Jan 8, 2012
NY

While I agree with most of this post, I'm going to have to strongly disagree on Stepan, particularly the idea that Brassard is better defensively that he is. I think Stepan is better at reading the play, and Brass sometimes has the tendency to get a little lazy in the defensive zone, although he's been better with that. I also think that when he's not playing like total ass, Kreider is at least OK defensively.

Nash is awesome though.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Rangers were 6th in GA with a blueline of Redden, Roszival, Staal, Girardi, Mara, and Kalinin/Morris in 08-09

And that team actually had better defensive metrics than this one so far :popcorn:

(Still not great)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Brass looks shaken up. Probably hurt.

Yandle must play more, probably been our best D looking at all games taken into account McDs slow start. Why is he getting the 5 D ice time??

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Brass looks shaken up. Probably hurt.

Yandle must play more, probably been our best D looking at all games taken into account McDs slow start. Why is he getting the 5 D ice time??
The only reason I can see is because a competent management want to showcase the rest most the clowns for future trades.

As the management is proven to be incompetent, it must be because they actually consider those ahead of him as more effective defensemen. Laughable, I know.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Staal's play on that last goal - yeesh. He had two chances to do something productive with the puck and failed twice.

The first Boston goal happened off the faceoff following Staal's icing.

This all after the Montreal game with his nonchalant behind-the-back flip.

Deleted member 23124

They wouldn't have been without Henrik.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Keep pushing that agenda.

Don't worry. I will.

100 posts about Staal in this thread. Incessant whining about the same players every time there is a loss. Teflon Kreider gets a negative comment and there is push-back.

Kreider continues to be the worst offensive disappointment on this team. He's on pace to get 10 goals this year and less than 40 points, while getting loads of power play time. Throw in that this big and fast physical specimen can go multiple games without throwing a hard check and you have as big an underachiever as I've seen on this team in 50 seasons.

If he doesn't become a hockey player, soon, it will be interesting to see how his next contract negotiation plays out.

Claxton

Sep 30, 2007
This team is a mess. Exactly like AV's Vancouver teams. Regular season heroes who get achingly close to a Stanley Cup, but run into that team who knows how to exploit their weaknesses while AV stubbornly chews his gum and doesn't try to adjust until its too late.

Staal and Girardi contracts will be worse than Redden and Drury. Got paid and get premium ice time for their past, slow and stupid and declining rapidly, sentimental value and NMCs keep them locked in. Will likely force Gorton to pass on signing Yandle who is probably looking forward to signing with a team who will give him the ice time he deserves and a coach that knows how to utilize his talents properly.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
More insane over reactions. What a shock. The same handful of people go into chicken little mode after every loss.

The team isn't going to win every game. Sometimes they will lose and sometimes they'll do it in a particularly frustrating fashion.

It's like people don't remember that the same things happened the last two years and happen to every team every year.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
What's the overreaction? This team could win another Presidents' Trophy, I'll still have the same concerns. Looks like another playoff run where they're going to have to completely rely on Lundqvist.

Rick Nash 61

The Best
Jul 6, 2014
New York
What's the overreaction? This team could win another Presidents' Trophy, I'll still have the same concerns. Looks like another playoff run where they're going to have to completely rely on Lundqvist.

Completely agree.. And I don't see us fixing our problems by the deadline.

As much as I'd like to hope we trade Girardi/Staal and try to improve our defense, I doubt it actually happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad