Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Bruins - November 27

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Does anyone remember in the late 90s and early 2000s when we were routinely losing four, five, six games in a row?

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Does anyone remember in the late 90s and early 2000s when we were routinely losing four, five, six games in a row?

I wish I could look at the GDTs. One of my favorite things to do (sadly) was to look at GDT's from 2002 and see how 13 year old me reacted to Rangers hockey.

Yeah, its not much different in terms of maturity.

But really, its upsetting that all those posts were purged.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

Yes, but I was a kid at the time. Born in 89, so while I was a massive fan during the dark ages and totally obsessed, I was still a kid so I didn't know as much and get angry and frustrated and stuff.

Plus, we're contenders and we're in win now mode, our window is going to start closing and it's extremely worrisome to see the team playing as poorly as they do.

Also, it seems Boston has had our number ever since that playoff series in 2013. It also seems like they score 95% of their goals either on the PP and/or by cycling down low, throwing the puck to the D men who shoot through the screen and hope for a tip or lucky bounce. That's their whole offense vs us.

For today's game, IMO the worst performance was actually from the refs. First they don't call Beleksy and then McIlrath ends up getting the 17 mins, including putting the B's on the PP, which they score on because of course they do. Then we're up 3-2 and they call that absolutely baby skin soft call on Fast. Sure, he had his hand off his stick for 2 milliseconds, but with 5 minutes left in a 1 goal game, a game in which you've let massive amounts of things go, how do you make that call? The refs absolutely had a hand in determining the outcome of this game. A ridiculously soft call on Fast (never ever would that be called in the playoffs) putting the best PP in the NHL on the PP with 5 mins left in their own rink. They score, huge momentum surge, then our 4th line gets pinned for a long **** and Cyclops has multiple opportunities to clear the puck and gives it right to the point men, and they score on a luck deflection off of Etem.

Hank has to be dejected after a game like this because he definitely played well, but the defense was ever more porous than usual.

I'll tell you, I've always loved Staal and never wanted him to leave him being a homegrown Ranger and all, but I'm definitely starting to move my opinion rapidly towards him being traded. That NTC is killer. Honestly, I'd rather keep Girardi and think he his outperforming Staal this season. I want next year's D to be:

McD-Girardi
Yandle-Klein
Skjei-McIlrath

Either that or something has to give with one of Staal, McD or Yandle learning to play the right side. We have to keep Yandle. He's routinely one of our best defensemen in all three zones every night.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I dug through the stats today and I can't get over how bad McDonagh and Girardi are.

40.2% CF% together. No other pair in the NHL that has spent any kind of time together is even close to that low.

They are essentially, the worst top 4 pair in the NHL right now.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I wish I could look at the GDTs. One of my favorite things to do (sadly) was to look at GDT's from 2002 and see how 13 year old me reacted to Rangers hockey.

Yeah, its not much different in terms of maturity.

But really, its upsetting that all those posts were purged.
I remember going to the last page of HF when I joined and it was like "CuJo to the Red Wings?!" :laugh:

Badko

Jan 9, 2007
then dylan takes the instigator and thats an automatic call. nice to step in there, but really he justed remove himself from the game for 17 mins. i woulda let belesky know he's gonna get rocked but to just engage him like that gets that call every time.

there are ways to get back at him. gotta be smarter.

Are you kidding me? Dylan did exactly what he is expected to do. I just love people who let us know how they would have handled it much more sensibly while engaged in their Monday morning quarterbacking session from the comfort of their recliner.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Maybe I'm being a homer but I think that should have received 1 game.

I honestly feel suspensions for 1 game are ******** in a sport where a full season is 82 games. In football, a similar situation would be a 1-game suspension, yes. But they only have 16 games.

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
Google mediocrity and the Flyers logo show up. A loss against those ****s would top it off. :pullhair:

No BS tonight.

truebluegoalie

Nov 28, 2008
Virginia
Maybe I'm being a homer but I think that should have received 1 game.

I don't know. It wasn't necessarily a brutal hit. It was late and near the boards and caused a pretty bad injury. Probably should have gotten something, at the very least a penalty at most a game. There was really no reason for him to deliver that hit.

The inconsistency in this league is what gets me. It was worse than the Hagelin hit on Alfredsson and that got him 3 playoff games. It is also the 2nd time Stepan has been hit with a blindside hit this season and there has been no discipline afterwards, and even little in game on both. Pretty frustrating.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
The hit was cheap, but I'm not sure suspension worthy.

My bigger issue is how the NHL handles these, i.e. instigator penalty. Either the league handles these situations or the players will. But if your referees aren't going to call blatant boarding penalties, players are going to step in. And you can't penalize McIlrath for doing what you failed to do. It's ridiculous. I've seen Kreider ejected from multiple games for hits less dangerous than that. It was a clear penalty, at the very least 2 min boarding.

That said, the defense is not good. It hasn't been good. Hank masked major issues in the defense. He was never going to post sub 1.8 GAA and 95% SV. No one should be blaming him. We're a .500 team with a league average goalie.

Girardi and Staal cannot continue to coexist on this team long term - their contracts and deteriorating skills are killing us. They've both been so, so bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad