Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Blue Jackets: Emp...empty net?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
That's because it's true.

Another W. Feels good. Couple games ahead against teams we should beat.

Every roster is flawed and of course Sather needs to go, but that doesn't mean we can't win with this group of players. Some people act like the coach has nothing to do with the success or failure on the ice, but then defend Torts whenever someone suggests that he failed in any way.

There are certainly areas in which this roster can improve, but they aren't as flawed as some like to believe.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
BUT BYRON ****ING SUCKS. GIGANTOR WHO ISN'T FIGHTING EVERYONE OR SCORING 50 GOALS. AND HIS STUPID FACIAL HAIR AND THE FACT THAT HE'S MERELY AN ABOVE AVERAGE SKATER FOR HIS SIZE INSTEAD OF ELITE.

C'mon, son.

Even during my WORST of critiques of Boyle, I have ALWAYS maintained that he's a solid 4th line player and PK'er.

Replaceable but solid.

What has really impressed me about Boyle is that he seems to be winning BIG and TIMELY face offs.

I remember an interview not to long ago that he just seemed genuinely pissed off. and I was really happy to see it. I think it was after the Jersey loss or the Flyers loss. Seems that his demeanor mirrored the teams and they have done a hell of a job since then.

8 games in a row giving up 2 or less, 11 games since the 5-3 loss to the Blues where they have averaged giving up 2 goals a game.

Seems to me that Sather and Dolan hurt this team more than helped it with the whole west coast preseason crap and not being able to play a home game until game #10

Nice to see we have turned the corner.

I hope that Nash can come back and not change the dynamic of the team which is a very real possibility.

MrEctions

Willy Nilly
Apr 24, 2007
Clinton, Ny
People can rip on Byron all they want, but I still maintain that he's a solid player for us all things considered. Hes generally very good on faceoffs. When he;s using his size to forecheck hes excellent. He's an effective and solid 4th liner on a good team, we tend to put him in some spots he shouldnt be in. I cant blame him for that. I would hate to lose him right now.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Boyle has been, and never has stopped being one of the best defensive centers in the league. He wins pucks like a mad man.

Now, I pointed out before that the Stepan line is horrid in their own zone. That manifested itself last night. Great offensive line with very little ability to get the puck out. Of course, our boys were playing tired by the third period. This isn't EA's NHL where everyone is completely fresh after a 17 minute sit down.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Thanks. I love comedy.

Your ongoing crusade against Boyle is unwarranted. He is the best bottom-six player on the team by far. He's great defensively, and although he rarely gets rewarded his forecheck and offensive zone pressure/possession is very good.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Boyle has been, and never has stopped being one of the best defensive centers in the league. He wins pucks like a mad man.

Now, I pointed out before that the Stepan line is horrid in their own zone. That manifested itself last night. Great offensive line with very little ability to get the puck out. Of course, our boys were playing tired by the third period. This isn't EA's NHL where everyone is completely fresh after a 17 minute sit down.

Agree about the top-line, once they get hemmed in their own zone they tend to play sloppy and allow bad turnovers.

Rangerfans

Oct 12, 2008

You're forgetting that this team NEEDS a whipping boy. People ignore the defensive and face-off facets and simply look at the stat sheets.

Pyatt and Pouliott are the ones right now. When they're gone, it's going to come back to MDZ and Boyle.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
You're forgetting that this team NEEDS a whipping boy. People ignore the defensive and face-off facets and simply look at the stat sheets.

Pyatt and Pouliott are the ones right now. When they're gone, it's going to come back to MDZ and Boyle.

This is a horrible aspect of the human psyche that contributes to all sorts of problems around the world. Why not just blame the team, or individuals who performed poorly in a given game?

I have seen games where we are down 1-0, generating no offense and people were giving Rozsival hell for not shooting the puck into a defender's shin pads.

In any event, did anyone hear the Blue Jackets fans booing Gaborik for a moment last night? Very strange.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
Nobody can seriously believe that Boyle is a bad player per sé. The problem is/was, that he has been put into a too offensive role on the team. Having Boyle on the top 6, on the PP or on the ice when we desperately need a goal is what made many peopla (irrationaly) rag on him.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
Last night the secondary color guy for the Columbus broadcast crew had a follow up comment so quick and full of wit I nearly fell on the floor laughing. My wife did too.

The main play by play made call about a misplay or turnover in the Columbus zone by the Jackets and the secondary guy said "one small mistake in their zone and they quickly turn into a dog's breakfast"

That really caught me off guard lol

I hope Boyle continues this play, he's want you want on the bottom 6 going into the playoffs.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
the biggest "problem" with Boyle is that Tortorella would overuse him at times and put him in the top six which pissed people off. he's not a top six player, but he does his job quite well otherwise.

Not really the greatest game by the Rangers last night...they looked tired, especially in the third, and had a hard time upping their intensity to match Columbus. But you know, a win, so I'll take it. Also, Bobrovsky pretty much kept Columbus in it during the second period which the Rangers owned, so I can't get too grumpy.

I just hope they rest up and come out with more energy and intensity against Florida

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Stepan is a good defensive center. Why do you think that line is poor in its defensive zone? Kreider and Zucc not carrying their weight?

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
the biggest "problem" with Boyle is that Tortorella would overuse him at times and put him in the top six which pissed people off. he's not a top six player, but he does his job quite well otherwise.

Boyle is actually averaging more ice time this year than he was last year, and he's playing more at even strength. AV is utilizing Boyle pretty much the same way Torts has. People always got pissed off because he was used in 3rd line role instead of a 4th line role. I can live with him on the 3rd line but ideally I'd like someone a little better offensively.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Not worried about Steps' line being bad in their own zone (I don't even think they are tbh), because a majority of their time is spent in the opposing team's zone :)

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Stepan is a good defensive center. Why do you think that line is poor in its defensive zone? Kreider and Zucc not carrying their weight?

Zuccarello is small, Kreider's defensive positioning is poor, and Stepan is a decent defensive center but is not a great one.

A big part of winning pucks in the NHL is strength, or reach. Now, its not the horror show that a Pouliot-Brassard-Zuccarello line was defensively, but as I have said that line is best suited as a 2nd group so they are not stuck up against the Crosby and Malkin type lines.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
Anyone watch the Dubinsky post game interview? Intense. He definitely still has the passion and talks as if he is trying to be the guy who will wear the C in the near future.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Last night the secondary color guy for the Columbus broadcast crew had a follow up comment so quick and full of wit I nearly fell on the floor laughing. My wife did too.

The main play by play made call about a misplay or turnover in the Columbus zone by the Jackets and the secondary guy said "one small mistake in their zone and they quickly turn into a dog's breakfast"

That really caught me off guard lol

I hope Boyle continues this play, he's want you want on the bottom 6 going into the playoffs.

I think I missed the joke is there a pun in there or something?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Zuccarello is small, Kreider's defensive positioning is poor, and Stepan is a decent defensive center but is not a great one.

A big part of winning pucks in the NHL is strength, or reach. Now, its not the horror show that a Pouliot-Brassard-Zuccarello line was defensively, but as I have said that line is best suited as a 2nd group so they are not stuck up against the Crosby and Malkin type lines.

Thankfully the Richards line has looked good too. I mean, if Nash comes back xxx-Brassard-Nash is also there. Though it does seem that unlike a few years back when we were lacking in any skill but made up for it in grit we're missing 2 way forward types.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013

I saw Zucc and Stepan playing on the PK again last night, and again he seems to have no problems filling the role.. is the issue with the line more dominant in 5v5 ?

This is just nitpicking of course and it might be more coincidence/luck than proof of life, but afaik that line still hasn't allowed a goal while its been on the ice ?

Last edited:

Drewbackatu*

Your ongoing crusade against Boyle is unwarranted. He is the best bottom-six player on the team by far. He's great defensively, and although he rarely gets rewarded his forecheck and offensive zone pressure/possession is very good.

Agree. He works harder than any player we have but he is what he is which is a 10+ goal, 25-30 point guy who wins faceoffs, forechecks very well, takes up a lot of space and penalty kills great.
I say he's a keeper!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad