Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Blue Jackets: Emp...empty net?

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
the biggest "problem" with Boyle is that Tortorella would overuse him at times and put him in the top six which pissed people off. he's not a top six player, but he does his job quite well otherwise.

Not really the greatest game by the Rangers last night...they looked tired, especially in the third, and had a hard time upping their intensity to match Columbus. But you know, a win, so I'll take it. Also, Bobrovsky pretty much kept Columbus in it during the second period which the Rangers owned, so I can't get too grumpy.

I just hope they rest up and come out with more energy and intensity against Florida

The fatigue in the 3rd was extremely evident. Understandable.

Defense has really come around in general. Rangers may not have "dominated" but the Jackets did not get a ton of good opportunities. And this includes the forwards too. Man coverage is starting to click.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The fatigue in the 3rd was extremely evident. Understandable.

Defense has really come around in general. Rangers may not have "dominated" but the Jackets did not get a ton of good opportunities. And this includes the forwards too. Man coverage is starting to click.

Yeah I just felt like as they started tiring, there were more points shots being setup by Columbus and with only a 1 goal lead, it's easy for one of those to bounce off something and into the net. The Rangers did a good job blocking shots or clearing lanes though

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I saw Zucc and Stepan playing on the PK again last night, and again he seems to have no problems filling the role.. is the issue with the line more dominant in 5v5 ?

This is just nitpicking of course and it might be more coincidence/luck than proof of life, but afaik that line still hasn't allowed a goal while its been on the ice ?

Yeah, well on the PK they are not going to be as aggressive in trying to win pucks, a big part of that is stick work and staying in position, reading the opposition's minds, ect.

At even strength, you have to be more proactive in trying to work the puck away. That is one of the reasons why offensively having a player along the boards fora cycle is so important, because frequently defensive players are all over the ice trying to intercept a pass or knock the puck away.

The Stepan line has had trouble with the cycle because there is no board presence like Boyle to out-muscle a guy for the puck.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
On the other hand they're generally better at making breakouts with the puck...

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
We conceded a goal by a rookie, we conceded a goal by a former Ranger, yet we still won. I guess miracles to happen

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I saw Kreider and Zuke break up plays in the D zone. Zuke has issues clearing the puck. Kreider is getting better. They can teach that aspect of the game. They are good on offense. That is tougher to teach.

Bardof425*

Your ongoing crusade against Boyle is unwarranted. He is the best bottom-six player on the team by far. He's great defensively, and although he rarely gets rewarded his forecheck and offensive zone pressure/possession is very good.

The only reason I posted this morning was because I got grief when he played well against Pitt. And he did play well that night. Last night; not so much. So I posted. I like him as a 4th line player. He's playing on the 3rd line, so there's still something to say.

And just for the record I disagree with your assessment that he is the best bottom 6 player we have by far. When we are healthy Brassard, Dorsett and D. Moore will all be in our bottom 6 and I would take any of those players over BB. Those guys can play competently on the 3rd line while I believe Boyle cannot long term. He'll have his nights (like vs. Pitt) but his lack of offense makes him a 4th liner/pk guy in my book and I'd like to see him used that way. I'd also like to see him use his size to punish guys. He gets his hits but they are rarely impactful.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
The only reason I posted this morning was because I got grief when he played well against Pitt. And he did play well that night. Last night; not so much. So I posted. I like him as a 4th line player. He's playing on the 3rd line, so there's still something to say.

And just for the record I disagree with your assessment that he is the best bottom 6 player we have by far. When we are healthy Brassard, Dorsett and D. Moore will all be in our bottom 6 and I would take any of those players over BB. Those guys can play competently on the 3rd line while I believe Boyle cannot long term. He'll have his nights (like vs. Pitt) but his lack of offense makes him a 4th liner/pk guy in my book and I'd like to see him used that way. I'd also like to see him use his size to punish guys. He gets his hits but they are rarely impactful.

Brassard is a top 6 player being outplayed and brings nothing to the bottom 6 that couldn't be better filled by Moore and Boyle. Dorsett plays a different role completely and Boyle has been consistently better at his role. Moore and Boyle are similar players and on a deep team they're booth superior 4th line centers. I'd take Boyle personally for the sake of familiarity unless they can keep Moore and get value elsewhere in a trade for Boyle.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
George Richards
‏@GeorgeRichards
#FlaPanthers have fired Kevin Dineen and coaching staff...John Madden and Brian Skrudland will assist San Antonio coach Peter Horachek

Well, we're boned. (** Edit: Sure win!)

New coach first win syndrome imminent

Last edited:

Bardof425*

Brassard is a top 6 player being outplayed and brings nothing to the bottom 6 that couldn't be better filled by Moore and Boyle. Dorsett plays a different role completely and Boyle has been consistently better at his role. Moore and Boyle are similar players and on a deep team they're booth superior 4th line centers. I'd take Boyle personally for the sake of familiarity unless they can keep Moore and get value elsewhere in a trade for Boyle.

What Brassard brings to the 3rd line would be offensive creativity; which is lacking for Moore and non-existent for Boyle. Dorsett does play a different role but he is a very good pker, has pretty good hands; can skate and brings toughness and will drop 'em. If I can only have one; BB or DD at the same cost, I take DD every time. The Moore vs. Boyle debate will play out when Dominic gets healthy. Before his injury he was playing at a higher level than BB.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
George Richards
‏@GeorgeRichards
#FlaPanthers have fired Kevin Dineen and coaching staff...John Madden and Brian Skrudland will assist San Antonio coach Peter Horachek

Well, we're boned.

This has to be the 3rd time they've done this to us.

Bardof425*

George Richards
‏@GeorgeRichards

Well, we're boned.

they play Ottawa tonight. Hopefully that cleans out all that first night excitement.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
What Brassard brings to the 3rd line would be offensive creativity; which is lacking for Moore and non-existent for Boyle.
Ahh, that would explain why Brassard has 2 more points than Boyle in 39 more PP minutes and slightly more EV time.

Offensive creativity, FTW.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
was at the game in CLB. Good times! Team played well the first 2 periods and I thought they deserved the win, 3rd wasn't pretty but will use the 2 games in 2 nights exuse

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
George Richards
‏@GeorgeRichards

Well, we're boned. (** Edit: Sure win!)

If im Florida i start a rookie goalie and trade / start Sanguenetti and Gilroy. Fate will take care of the rest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad