Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Avs

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
When a team has a Phil Kessel and hes not mentioned as part of the core to build around, it says alot about that players presence on and off the ice.

Would love the goals that he brings ro the table but not anything else that he offers.

Hes as big a reason that team sucks as any. Floater that doesnt back check and in today's game you can't do that and expect to win

He's -7 less (or more whichever way you look at it) than Tanner Glass.

And The Thrill's break down is 243-263-506!

He is one of the most one way North American players I've ever seen. If Toronto moves him, it will be the second time a team did not think he was a key stone. Even with all his goals.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
He's -7 less (or more whichever way you look at it) than Tanner Glass.

And The Thrill's break down is 243-263-506!

He is one of the most one way North American players I've ever seen. If Toronto moves him, it will be the second time a team did not think he was a key stone. Even with all his goals.

Kessel doesn't play 4th line minutes and is not on a team that has one of the best differentials in the NHL. I don't even want Kessel, but context...

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Which is really mind boggling because a lot of people say that AV is an idiot, and a bunch of the players have no "hockey IQ."

Corsi!

AV is a very good coach with one major fault. He's too attached to some of "his guys" and too afraid of talented guys that sometimes make mistakes. Glass is a MAJOR negative for him.

Last edited:

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Kessel doesn't play 4th line minutes and is not on a team that has one of the best differentials in the NHL. I don't even want Kessel, but context...

Which makes it even worse in regard to Kessel. He's on the first line and he's was supposed to be the focal point.

Glass has only been here this year. He's been a minus player even when he wasn't on our positive differential.

Anyway, you got the analogy.

AV is a very good coach with one major fault. He's too attached to some of "his guys" and too afraid of talented guys that sometimes make mistakes. Glass is a MAJOR black negative for him.

So?

How would anyone know this?

sthNYR5

Apr 24, 2012
NYC
The greatest blown lead we've had all season? I mean it was 100% glass' fault on their tying goal, then he took a penalty and finally got benched for a shift or 2 with Kreider taking his place. And we pulled off the win anyway. Probably the happiest I've ever been when we gave up the lead. Screw glass

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The greatest blown lead we've had all season? I mean it was 100% glass' fault on their tying goal, then he took a penalty and finally got benched for a shift or 2 with Kreider taking his place. And we pulled off the win anyway. Probably the happiest I've ever been when we gave up the lead. Screw glass

and then he took another penalty in the last seconds of the game!

AV is a very good coach with one major fault. He's too attached to some of "his guys" and too afraid of talented guys that sometimes make mistakes.

I mean, he has given some players room to run (like Kreider) but yeah also seems to be harsh on other players like Miller and to some extent Hayes (he just doesn't trust Hayes yet and I think a large part of it is faceoffs, but it's still dumb to leave him on the bench and play Glass more)

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Would Hank really have made a difference though? None of those goals were really stoppable.
I think so. I think that Henke, while not flashy, is the best. I think he covers up for a lot of the teams issues. The flaws of the team (giveaways, lack of winning puck battles, etc) are mediated by his presence.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think so. I think that Henke, while not flashy, is the best. I think he covers up for a lot of the teams issues. The flaws of the team (giveaways, lack of winning puck battles, etc) are mediated by his presence.

The Rangers D are actually pretty good at winning puck battles 1 on 1. The wingers though aren't that good at it in their own zone which leads to some issues at times.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Right, I'm just commenting. When the Rangers are playing well in sync they move the puck pretty well out of their zone. When they get out of sync and struggle they start making passes to where players aren't, guys lose battles, and then they panic and start just slapping at the puck which usually just knocks it right to an opposing player.

In a perfect world they'd always play in sync and the system would work flawlessly! Unfortunately it breaks down sometimes.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I mean, he has given some players room to run (like Kreider) but yeah also seems to be harsh on other players like Miller and to some extent Hayes (he just doesn't trust Hayes yet and I think a large part of it is faceoffs, but it's still dumb to leave him on the bench and play Glass more)

That's partially because only a foolish coach handles all of his players exactly the same. Doing it that way would just be bad people management.

And every coach in the league has "his" guys. That's not an AV thing.

anofsti

May 14, 2011
That's partially because only a foolish coach handles all of his players exactly the same. Doing it that way would just be bad people management.

And every coach in the league has "his" guys. That's not an AV thing.

Eh, special treatment warrants special ability. And the special ability Glass brings should fetch him the Hartford treatment...

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I think that's Peter McNab one of the single worst color commentators I have ever heard. He used to do the Devils games back in the day and he was brutal even then. His observations are crap, he slurred his speech, he's sloppy, he's gets players confused. He's like a punch drunk boxer trying to announce a horse race.

I found him more insufferable than Jiggs, Ed, and that blowhard Stan Fischler when he was pissed at the Rangers for firing him.

pjr378

Oct 12, 2014
Yonkers, New York
Right, I'm just commenting. When the Rangers are playing well in sync they move the puck pretty well out of their zone. When they get out of sync and struggle they start making passes to where players aren't, guys lose battles, and then they panic and start just slapping at the puck which usually just knocks it right to an opposing player.

In a perfect world they'd always play in sync and the system would work flawlessly! Unfortunately it breaks down sometimes.

Exactly what I've said. The system is intricate, so it either works perfectly or it doesn't work at all. When it works we're one of the best teams in the game. When it doesn't, dear God...

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Just realized that at 32-16-5 we have twice as many in the money column as in the really bad column. That's really good.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Unfortunately, I think that games like this underscore how much Henke can cover up. Without the security blanket, the play of this team gets exposed.

Great game by Hayes. Hoping that they keep him and Miller together and NOT trade Miller for some sort of rental.

Well said. Talbot plays well and theres still some Agita. Hank is really a blessing. No knock on Cam

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
AV is a very good coach with one major fault. He's too attached to some of "his guys" and too afraid of talented guys that sometimes make mistakes. Glass is a MAJOR black negative for him.

I think that, in the micro, AV is weak here. But in the macro this loyalty is good for team development. Players feel stability and a sense of place. This is good. And by the playoffs i think Glass will have a very secondary role. But he and his teammates will know they got a fair shake. Again, i think its clear that Glass does not belong in a cup contenders lineup. But in the big picture AV is letting nature take its course and the team grow tighter. His results speak for themself.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I think that, in the micro, AV is weak here. But in the macro this loyalty is good for team development. Players feel stability and a sense of place. This is good. And by the playoffs i think Glass will have a very secondary role. But he and his teammates will know they got a fair shake. Again, i think its clear that Glass does not belong in a cup contenders lineup. But in the big picture AV is letting nature take its course and the team grow tighter. His results speak for themself.

How is playing Glass over one of Miller, Fast, or even Stempniak a fair shake?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad