Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Avs

Esa 10

Jul 12, 2006
Pretty sure it was about playing time.

Chicago wanted Hayes to be Bickel II, Buff II or someone like that. Big PF who parks infront of the net and opens up room for Towes, Kane and co.

Hayes has a very strong reference group in his family (he is a cousin with Keith Tkachuck, and he got his brother etc). People who knows him know that playmaking is his big strength, and that he is a center. That didn't fit into Chicagos plans and Chicago tried to push him. That rubbed him the wrong way.

Ppl were calling Hayes a RW and told everyone to forget about him playing LW this summer, center? You got laughed at for suggesting that. But the minute I saw him I knew we wanted him to get a chance to find that big exclusive center.

I think he made a real good call not going to Chicago. We saw Claude's kid force a trade the other day. Jan Erixons kid did the same. I think these guys knows how important it is to end up at eight place. Hayes did so.

Thanx guys.

Fun fact I learned tonight most of this board probably already knows.

Kevin Hayes was selected with the 1st round pick that originally belonged to the Devils. It's the pick that was traded for Kovalchuk to Atlanta.

Makes me like Hayes even more as a Ranger.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
When a team has a Phil Kessel and hes not mentioned as part of the core to build around, it says alot about that players presence on and off the ice.

Would love the goals that he brings ro the table but not anything else that he offers.

Hes as big a reason that team sucks as any. Floater that doesnt back check and in today's game you can't do that and expect to win

not really, the entire team completely blows defensively and Kessel is just part of that problem, and he's not even THAT bad compared to some of his teammates (JVR...). Kessel has gotten a lot of flack for some reason and I think a huge part of it is Toronto's insistence that they have to be this tough and gritty hockey team and he doesn't fit into that notion.

anyways, I wish the Rangers would stop letting down against mediocre teams...they did it against Toronto and last night against the Avs...I'm sure some of it is that the other teams were trying hard to come back and all but it feels like sometimes when the Rangers get some "easy" goals they start playing too loose and taking more risks and making bad turnovers etc, and then the other team starts scoring. 3-1-1 while Lundqvist is out is good, but I think their goals against in this stretch is like 3 goals per game, which isn't good. They gotta tighten it up on D

e: oh, and yeah it's easy to keep bagging on Glass but whether it's his fault or someone elses, that line is just not working right now. They are terrible defensively and get trapped in their own zone way too easily. Stempniak has been underwhelming lately as well, Moore is the only one I feel like really is doing good work on that line at the moment.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
People wonder why Glass has only been a + once in any game this season? He's only been on the ice for ONE goal all season. ONE. Stupid ****ing penalty and horrible effort on the Hejda goal.

Thank god ZuBraNash and the Hags-Hayes-Miller came to play tonight.

Vickers8

Another good road win vs Avs, Kevin Hayes goal was an amazing end to end rush, he had 3 more points and is now a +6...KH and Hags chemistry is growing...Boyle has had a tough season but now has 8 goals in 37 games

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
Another good road win vs Avs, Kevin Hayes goal was an amazing end to end rush, he had 3 more points and is now a +6...KH and Hags chemistry is growing...Boyle has had a tough season but now has 8 goals in 37 games

I'd hardly say that. Hayes is carrying hagelin more than anything.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Not a great game but good play on many hands, Boyle and Hayes deserves to be mentioned. I love Dom Moore. Zucc played well again, Brass is always competing.

I think we need to cut MSL some slack since he is playing with Kreider. We saw it with Nash last year, whoever is playing with Kreids is never getting a heady pass or something like that. Kreids working on these things and he is developing, and he is strong in some areas, but I think it's unfair to be too critical of the winger playing with him because those plays that open things up are missing.

I would like to get Miller on the LW with Step and MSL and Kreider on Hayes line.

With all due respect Ola this is ridiculous. Kreider isn't forcing him to make horrendous decisions with the puck in his own end. Kreider isn't preventing him from winning a single board battle.

Not to mention, MSL looked just as bad paired with Nash as far back as a week ago. He has lost a step and it has affected every facet of his game.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
msl has disappeared. its obvious he's struggling. he needs to score pp goals and he's not.

my only hope is he will come alive in the playoffs as he did last season.

if he continues to struggle, he's really cementing his next contract as an incentive laden veteran type deal where he gets paid if he performs. thats not a bad thing and will give us some cap room and still keep him around.

still plenty of time for him to score some goals and turn it around. he's a smart, dedicated, fierce competitor but age and the speed of the game are catching him. his shifts are unproductive often.

my money is still on him going on a tear late and into the playoffs. his one timer from the left side is still dangerous and important.

i haven't given up on him by any stretch.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
msl has disappeared. its obvious he's struggling. he needs to score pp goals and he's not.

my only hope is he will come alive in the playoffs as he did last season.

if he continues to struggle, he's really cementing his next contract as an incentive laden veteran type deal where he gets paid if he performs. thats not a bad thing and will give us some cap room and still keep him around.

still plenty of time for him to score some goals and turn it around. he's a smart, dedicated, fierce competitor but age and the speed of the game are catching him. his shifts are unproductive often.

my money is still on him going on a tear late and into the playoffs. his one timer from the left side is still dangerous and important.

i haven't given up on him by any stretch.

Yeah it's frustrating to see him struggle and if they let Zucc walk to keep MSL I'll be mad. Zucc should be the first priority to sign this offseason

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Also, while I'm annoyed how much the spot is a revolving door, both Hunwick and J. Moore have been very good lately. Can't go wrong with either of them.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
The biggest concern Here is why can't we play effectively with a lead? We let up too much. Maybe tired. Idk. But it's dangerous. AV and friends have to iron it out.

9darter

Kreider is underpaid
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2007
Göteborg
Has there ever been a player that was signed and hated on so much and then managed to be even WORSE than expected as Glass is?

I swear, I knew he was bad, but I hoped he'd at least fill Dorsett's spot. Be worse but at least not be a super liability. He's worse than I ever could of imagined and yet he gets a guaranteed spot in the lineup.

Well, the Brashear signing comes to mind but he was really not outright detrimental on a nightly basis, just useless.

Vickers8

Rangers rank fourth in the NHL in goals per game (3.04) and goals against per game (2.38) this season, making them the only team to rank in the top 4 in both categories.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I'd hardly say that. Hayes is carrying hagelin more than anything.

A slanted view on things for sure.

That line is working because of both players. Hayes isn't carrying Hags and Hags isn't doing anything different that would allow Hayes to be better.

The two of them with Miller seem to play off each other very well and it's working.

Hayes is solid, but he's not yet to the point where he's going to carry anyone.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
The Rangers must be some of the worst stadium invaders in the league. Right there with the Leafs and Blackhawks. You hear Ranger fans no matter where they play.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Unfortunately, I think that games like this underscore how much Henke can cover up. Without the security blanket, the play of this team gets exposed.

Great game by Hayes. Hoping that they keep him and Miller together and NOT trade Miller for some sort of rental.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Unfortunately, I think that games like this underscore how much Henke can cover up. Without the security blanket, the play of this team gets exposed.

Great game by Hayes. Hoping that they keep him and Miller together and NOT trade Miller for some sort of rental.

Would Hank really have made a difference though? None of those goals were really stoppable.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The team is still fighting it. That's ok. The fact that they keep winning despite the issues is just a testament to how good this team really is.

Still going with the idea that I would rather this team be fighting it now than in April.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Would Hank really have made a difference though? None of those goals were really stoppable.

It's concerning they're giving up almost 3 goals per game since Lundqvist went out but it's hard to tell if it's because they miss Lundqvist or if there are some breakdowns happening that don't usually happen. I see players get too cute with the puck sometimes especially in the defensive end and it always seems to happen when they're playing a mediocre team and they think they have the game in hand and are getting too flippant with the puck. Then it bites them in the ass, they panic and start flinging the puck around even more and the process continues.

I feel like they have to just play more even keeled and stop feeling like everything will just magically go their way once they've got the lead and some momentum. Play harder on the puck especially.

That said, if you want to see a team that is really leaning hard on their goaltender look no further than Montreal. They get lit up whenever Price isn't in net and he spends all game saving their ***** when he is in net.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
It's concerning they're giving up almost 3 goals per game since Lundqvist went out but it's hard to tell if it's because they miss Lundqvist or if there are some breakdowns happening that don't usually happen. I see players get too cute with the puck sometimes especially in the defensive end and it always seems to happen when they're playing a mediocre team and they think they have the game in hand and are getting too flippant with the puck. Then it bites them in the ass, they panic and start flinging the puck around even more and the process continues.

I feel like they have to just play more even keeled and stop feeling like everything will just magically go their way once they've got the lead and some momentum. Play harder on the puck especially.

That said, if you want to see a team that is really leaning hard on their goaltender look no further than Montreal. They get lit up whenever Price isn't in net and he spends all game saving their ***** when he is in net.

It's mostly due to the fact that our forwards are more offensively oriented and I'm seeing serious lapses in defensive efforts...

Glass and St. Louis are the biggest culprits. They are black holes offensively right now, and they are atrocious on defense for different reasons (MSL is very small, also losing a step, while Glass doesn't seem to understand positioning).

Once Fast gets back I presume we'll bring the GAA down by .3-.5 after a few games only because that's how important it is for a forward to play competent defense in this system.

Glass unfortunately is so bad that he can't contribute ANYTHIGN... something needs to be done

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad