Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Avs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
The only thing about last night that bothers me is the continued lack of impact play by Richards, Nash and MSL. We count on Steps, Brass, and Zuuc to show up and get us the win it seems more than these big name guys.

Something wrong there.

skymachine

Aug 2, 2005
New York
Was at the game last night, here are my thoughts...

- There was definitely that buzz in the air in the 3rd that the Avs were going to tie it. The ice was slanted to the NYR zone the whole period. Had a feeling since it was the final period of the long road trip that these guys would be feeling it, plus with the altitude (as a visitor I certainly felt it).
- Other than the final minute I thought Girardi had a solid game. The D made several great defensive plays throughout the game. Staal had a few obvious turnovers and seemed frustrated with himself.
- I thought Stepan, Pouliot, Boyle had strong games. Nash needs to be more noticeable. Richards was noticeable but couldn't seem to make the big play.
- These guys need to hit more, maybe they were tired from the trip but they were out hit throughout the game. They don't touch anybody.
- Tons of NYR fans in the house, was great to see.
- Overall a great place to see a game and great experience, despite the loss.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
You two are actually both right, you're just both refusing to acknowledge you're both right about totally different things. Moore screwed up for the reasons you said. G screwed up for the reasons he said. One of you started making it personal though so now both of you are caught in an endless snark loop.

T

I already said G screwed up, dude. Said it a number of times. But a bad pinch doesn't matter much.

Also, not trying to be snarky. Just trying to explain something to someone who refuses to learn. I've already explained with a detailed breakdown a few times now why he's incorrect. Unfortunately, I can't do much more than that.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Was at the game last night, here are my thoughts...

- There was definitely that buzz in the air in the 3rd that the Avs were going to tie it. The ice was slanted to the NYR zone the whole period. Had a feeling since it was the final period of the long road trip that these guys would be feeling it, plus with the altitude (as a visitor I certainly felt it).
- Other than the final minute I thought Girardi had a solid game. The D made several great defensive plays throughout the game. Staal had a few obvious turnovers and seemed frustrated with himself.
- I thought Stepan, Pouliot, Boyle had strong games. Nash needs to be more noticeable. Richards was noticeable but couldn't seem to make the big play.
- These guys need to hit more, maybe they were tired from the trip but they were out hit throughout the game. They don't touch anybody.
- Tons of NYR fans in the house, was great to see.
- Overall a great place to see a game and great experience, despite the loss.

Overall that was a pretty solid road game against an extremely competent team. But I find Nash making me increasingly uneasy. Some folks are using the nickname "Big Easy" w/him. Not for nothing I'm beginning to think.

I just wish you noticed him more during a game for the rep and the skills that he has. I'm thinking, reading and hearing this way to often. There is no way I should notice a player literally almost half his size (Zucc), more than I do Rick Nash.

With the playoffs looming, I'm getting uncomfortable with this player.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Because we will likely have the ROW tiebreaker with Philly, that point was almost as good as a win. Got us 4 points over Philly. Not good for team performance or morale, but at the most cynical level it did the job.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
I would really love to steal some of Colorado's players. Landeskog may be one of my favorite players in the league; that guy brings everything.

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
File those under people who don't understand hockey, and or goaltending in general. Also, people who have never played hockey before, especially the goaltending position.
So you actually mean around 99 % off all the people in the world?

I didn't get to see the game unfortunately, so I'm not in a position to blame anybody.
But I'm disappointed off Zucc missing his shout out.

Bardof425*

I already said G screwed up, dude. Said it a number of times. But a bad pinch doesn't matter much.

Also, not trying to be snarky. Just trying to explain something to someone who refuses to learn. I've already explained with a detailed breakdown a few times now why he's incorrect. Unfortunately, I can't do much more than that.

You have an opinion; nothing more. None of us do. My take is G got caught up ice; probably too aggressive. A two on one ensues; Moore doesn't take away the pass like he should have and Benoit makes a nice reception skate to stick and then beats Hank because he was passive and gave him half the net to put that backhand. However, later in the game Step came down on a two on one with Nash and the defender played the pass all the way and Step had an easy top corner snipe as Varlamov had to stay deep in case the puck was moved to Nash.

So, in one case the defender played the shooter (or in between; doesn't matter) and an easy snipe was executed. In the other the defender played all pass and the same result took place. Bottom line; you are being too hard on John Moore here; he's not the one who caused the 2 on 1 and if your expectation is that he was going to break up the play, well that would have been nice but cannot be expected. And with the way Hank is playing in one on one situations, playing all pass would likely have changed nothing except the name of the goal scorer.

Bardof425*

I would really love to steal some of Colorado's players. Landeskog may be one of my favorite players in the league; that guy brings everything.

Including three ill timed and avoidable minor penalties. He is pretty good though. You need high picks to get players like that when they're young; or Bob Gainey as a trading partner.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Defensemen pinching is part of the game, especially under AV. Moore played the 2-on-1...wrong. Just, totally wrong.

Also, backhanders are probably the hardest shots for goalies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
So you actually mean around 99 % off all the people in the world?

I didn't get to see the game unfortunately, so I'm not in a position to blame anybody.
But I'm disappointed off Zucc missing his shout out.

I played NHL Be-a-Pro as a goalie. Does that count?

NYR2007

Sponsor
Jul 7, 2009
New York
Spoken like someone who's never played.

I'm sorry, but two-on-ones happen. All the time. Many times during a game. Girardi's pinch was fine. If anything, the bigger blame would go on MSL.

But yeah. Clearly all on Girardi. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

Blaming Girardi shows a fundamental misunderstanding of defensive positioning and defensive play. Nothing more to it than that. If you don't get why it was so bad, I suggest you watch some tape of odd man rushes (or at least play defense in real life). You just don't do what Moore did. Again, it's something you're taught as a little kid. I learned that when I was around 9 years old or so. It's simple defensive fundamentals. Anyone new to the position is always instructed how to handle odd man rushes almost immediately since they are so common.

Not trying to be an ass. But you're just blatantly incorrect and I'm trying to tell you why you are so wrong.

I must have missed when you said G pinch was a bad one cause from what i remember you said you had no problem with that. BTW i never said Moore didn't play it bad, i simply pointed out the play prior as to why he was in that position in the first place ...

I've played hockey my whole life and I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just pointing out where i felt the major mistake was made... It's not a 100% success rate on a 2 on 1 for a defense men. I would say majority of the time that pass gets thru on a 2 on 1 in the NHL .... now if the goalie makes the save is a whole other argument

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Um. 5 of out of a possible 8 points on a Western road trip? That's called a good road trip. Disappointing to lose that 6th point in the last minute, but still. In context, I'm happy.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Before the game I thought if we got a point I'd be happy but I was hoping it wasn't off a big blown lead or a late blown lead.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
BTW, biggest positives from the game:

1) Team defense so nice to see the Rangers play without their big dog and put up a great defensive performance sans a couple of breakdowns. We were pinned in our zone in the 3rd, but even then were solid defensively.

2) So happy about Stepan. I really think he has it in his to be a good but not great 1st line center one day. He really persevered in a tough season and picked himself up by the boot straps. He's been great for a while now. Just does everything so well except maybe skate. The guy for my money has the 3rd best shot on the team after Nash and Richards. That goal yesterday was a laser. If the guy can get consistency on it, he can be consistent 25 goal scorer. I don't see why he can't be a 25+45 player at his best that plays great D and is great on the PK, maybe not every year but I think he has the talent to do that a few times.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Speaking of Stepan, I'm saying it again. I see a lot of similarities with Giroux in the way he develops. Even point-wise. I am confident he will be a solid 1st line center for years to come.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Speaking of Stepan, I'm saying it again. I see a lot of similarities with Giroux in the way he develops. Even point-wise. I am confident he will be a solid 1st line center for years to come.

His style of play is nothing close to Giroux's though. Giroux can skate backwards than Stepan can skate forward.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

Stepan will not be a top 5 center in the league. That said I think he will be a very good player and will be a true #1. I think Sather should lock him up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad