Post-Game Talk: Rangers @ Avs

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don't keep stats or anything, but to me there's an "eye test" difference in his performance on in-game breakaways. I'm not as concerned with the shoot-out, although it obviously could mean a difference in picking up some extra points.

To summarize, before I expected Hank to stop a breakaway/penalty shot. This season, I hope he does.

Hopefully it's something he can figure out with Allaire over the summer and get back to next year.

He was always Meh on breakaways and great in shootouts. This season he's TERRIBLE on breakaways though. I remember in 11-12 where we had like 5 games in a row where we gave up a breakaway and he gave up a goal in both.

tbonenc*

File those under people who don't understand hockey, and or goaltending in general. Also, people who have never played hockey before, especially the goaltending position.

Second goal was a tough one. You have to admit though, that Hank had his rear end behind the goal line. I know its his style to play deep in his net, but you have to move to the top of the crease in that situation.

Maybe I'm expecting too much from what people consider the best goaltender in the game, but Hank lets in too many goals where you are left scratching your head.

I know he is capable of playing out of his mind, but any NHL level goalie is also capable of having a big game. We need our best player to play, consistently, like our best player, otherwise, we are one and done.

Bardof425*

I don't understand this. It was shot in the slot from a bad giveaway by Dan G trying to clear the zone. I don't know how any one can blame that goal on Hank.

It's easy; try and follow me. After the giveaway; barrie through a weak ass shot along the ice and hank was too deep in his net and leaning the wrong way. Result? Weak ass shot ends up in back of net. Goalie should make save; goalie fail to do that; goalie at fault.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Never played much roller. Played over 15 years of ice, though.

It's a very simple concept. Odd man rushes happen all the time. Multiple times per game. You hardly ever see a NHL defenseman **** up on it as bad as Moore did.

Blaming Girardi shows a fundamental misunderstanding of defensive positioning and defensive play. Nothing more to it than that. If you don't get why it was so bad, I suggest you watch some tape of odd man rushes (or at least play defense in real life). You just don't do what Moore did. Again, it's something you're taught as a little kid. I learned that when I was around 9 years old or so. It's simple defensive fundamentals. Anyone new to the position is always instructed how to handle odd man rushes almost immediately since they are so common.

No one was asking for him to make some crazy play. Just an average defensive play. If you don't get that then I can't help you further.

Not trying to be an ass. But you're just blatantly incorrect and I'm trying to tell you why you are so wrong.

You two are actually both right, you're just both refusing to acknowledge you're both right about totally different things. Moore screwed up for the reasons you said. G screwed up for the reasons he said. One of you started making it personal though so now both of you are caught in an endless snark loop.

The 2nd goal Hank gave up was fine, the first pissed me off because I have no confidence in him in those situations anymore. But the teams overall play in the 3rd really pissed me off. The PP has been pure garbage again recently too. The inability to clear before the 2nd goal drove me insane b/c there were several perfect opportunities and various players completely panicked and screwed the pooch. This prevents me from getting mad at Henrik on the 2nd goal.

Snowblind assigning more blame than is necessary to Hank legitamately pissed me off but what can you do? It's not HF if some guy isn't shoving a lame agenda down every throat in order to prove his "hockey IQ"

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
So here we are yet again, nitpicking on every inch of Hank's play in a 2nd star 37 shots against, .946 performance, facing one of the best teams in the entire league. Because we lost and then half the board look towards the goalie. What else is new?

If he saves a redirection, there are complaints he didn't control the rebound. If he doesn't see it through a screen, it's a softie because his X-ray vision didn't work. If he plays it deep like Allaire taught him, he played it too deep. If he allows a goal on three solid shootout attempts which were all better than anything we managed to throw on net, he's weak in the shootout. If he doesn't stop a 2 on 1 on a shifty backhand shot where he had to move laterally, he played it all wrong. I guess only shutouts count if you're Hank.

Defensive breakdowns lost us that game and should overall be happy we got the point, it was messy.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
We can nit pick this game to death.

The effort was honest.

The issues I have are as follows (and nit picky)

- Moore playing the passer was the wrong decision. A defenceman in that spot has to play more centered between the two while cheating a little towards the man without the puck. Create a two on two with the Goalie taking the shooter. Give him no options OTHER than shooting.

- Girardi HAS to be harder on the puck there. Team wins the face off there and you "finesse it" off the boards? I get that he didn't want to send it over the glass and cause a 2 man advantage with less than a minute to go, but he could have been harder on the puck there. A clearing in that spot doesn't guarantee that we win the game as the Av's still have time, but it does guarantee that no goal is scored 2-3 seconds later.

- I do not blame Brad Richards for losing a face off late in the game. He's a medicore FO guy to begin with. And late in the game, as a poster mentioned, D. Moore should be taking all draws unless he was just on for an extended shift or is in the box.

- Hank played to deep in the net on the tying sequence. The puck DID deflect off something prior to going in, so he gets a semi sorta pass there, but if he's out 1-2 feet that puck his pad down by his skate.

The one problem I have is that someone mentioned that we lost a desperate team. Really? Colorado with over a 100 points, already secure in a playoff spot played a more desperate game than the Rangers? The position the Rangers are in, not guaranteed a spot just yet, they should be the desperate team. Not the other way around.

Overall, we took 3 of 4 points off a very good Colorado team. We went 2-1-1 on this road trip late in the season.

Not the end of the world.

Not getting the win and still picking up a point on the Flyers is a good day.

I'm a gloomy gus alot of the times, but this loss is not something to get gloomy over.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Patrick Roy went with his gut. He sent defenseman Tyson Barrie would be taking his first career shootout goal – but not before Roy gave him a little suggestion.

"I was thinking something different, but Patty told me, 'If you go backhand, [top]shelf I'll be happy,'" Barrie said with a smile. The rookie had already dramatically snuck the game-tying goal between New York Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist's legs with under a minute remaining in the third period. Barrie didn't really have much of a choice on which shot to attempt in the shootout.

"I kind of have to try that now," he continued.

It should come as no surprise that it worked and Barrie scored to lead off the shootout – the Avalanche would eventually win. Roy admitted to giving the recommendation on shot type but gave credit to Barrie for making it happen. Whether it was a scouting report on Lundqvist or just goalie-ESP, the first year head coach knew something that Barrie didn't.

"You don't usually care what the coach says in the shootout," Barrie. continued. "But any time Patty has some advice you listen."

http://www.9news.com/story/sports/n...014/04/04/roy-barrie-advice-shootout/7290549/

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It sucked the way it ended but we did get a point for the standings--more than the Flyers. It would be shocking at this point if the Rangers didn't make the playoffs and it will be very very tough for the Flyers, Bluejackets or whoever to get home ice advantage on us in the first round. The result last night could have been worse.

To me the two main things right now are to get McDonagh and Kreider back into the lineup. Looking through the stats--pretty much all our players with the exception of Talbot and JT Miller have NHL playoff experience. Three have won cups.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
File those under people who don't understand hockey, and or goaltending in general. Also, people who have never played hockey before, especially the goaltending position.

Totally agree, and also agree on the first one that despite it being a great move - Hank should of had it.

The player totally telegraphed going to the backhand and was out of position to try going back to forehand - Hank has to be strong and keep his body tall and aggressively go to that side. He got caught reaching.

Oh well, we played a great team and skated around with our thumbs up our butts towards the latter part of the third and it cost us. Grabbed a point when it should of been two but I'll take it.

SupersonicMonkey*

Never played much roller. Played over 15 years of ice, though.

It's a very simple concept. Odd man rushes happen all the time. Multiple times per game. You hardly ever see a NHL defenseman **** up on it as bad as Moore did.

Blaming Girardi shows a fundamental misunderstanding of defensive positioning and defensive play. Nothing more to it than that. If you don't get why it was so bad, I suggest you watch some tape of odd man rushes (or at least play defense in real life). You just don't do what Moore did. Again, it's something you're taught as a little kid. I learned that when I was around 9 years old or so. It's simple defensive fundamentals. Anyone new to the position is always instructed how to handle odd man rushes almost immediately since they are so common.

No one was asking for him to make some crazy play. Just an average defensive play. If you don't get that then I can't help you further.

Not trying to be an ass. But you're just blatantly incorrect and I'm trying to tell you why you are so wrong.

Jon, i don't feel Moore is the moron you let on, but yeah, its fundamentals, you cover the open man and let the goaltender take the shooter. Let the chips fall where they may. When you realise you can't cover both players on your own, you have to come to grips that you are going to have to sort of let your goaltender out to dry. But you cover the open man every time.

Moore played it wrong there.

However, that's not why we lost. That tied the game. Where was the pushback by the entire team? They rolled over and took it up the rear end, as they often do against heavier and faster teams.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Patrick Roy went with his gut. He sent defenseman Tyson Barrie would be taking his first career shootout goal – but not before Roy gave him a little suggestion.

"I was thinking something different, but Patty told me, 'If you go backhand, [top]shelf I'll be happy,'" Barrie said with a smile. The rookie had already dramatically snuck the game-tying goal between New York Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist's legs with under a minute remaining in the third period. Barrie didn't really have much of a choice on which shot to attempt in the shootout.

"I kind of have to try that now," he continued.

It should come as no surprise that it worked and Barrie scored to lead off the shootout – the Avalanche would eventually win. Roy admitted to giving the recommendation on shot type but gave credit to Barrie for making it happen. Whether it was a scouting report on Lundqvist or just goalie-ESP, the first year head coach knew something that Barrie didn't.

"You don't usually care what the coach says in the shootout," Barrie. continued. "But any time Patty has some advice you listen."

http://www.9news.com/story/sports/n...014/04/04/roy-barrie-advice-shootout/7290549/

It was probably more like "If you go backhand, [top]shelf I'll be appy".

SupersonicMonkey*

I think the only reason some of us are unhappy with getting a point against a great Colorado team while missing McDonagh is because of how close we were to two points.

Its disappointing that they didn't get the extra point. But that wasn't my issue with them. My issue witj them is they aren't on the level they should be. They have no push back. They allow themselves to getbullied. They don't have to, they can fight back and play more determined, but instead they have a tendency to roll over and go into a shell against bigger and faster teams. And in the playoffs, they are going to have to deal with those teams.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Its disappointing that they didn't get the extra point. But that wasn't my issue with them. My issue witj them is they aren't on the level they should be. They have no push back. They allow themselves to getbullied. They don't have to, they can fight back and play more determined, but instead they have a tendency to roll over and go into a shell against bigger and faster teams. And in the playoffs, they are going to have to deal with those teams.

They didn't get rolled over at all. The Avs put pressure on us, in a tough place to play (literally) without our best D-man in the 3rd period and still barely won in a skills competition. The Rangers played solid defense in the 3rd despite spending most of the time in their zone. Uneven 3rd periods when 1 team is down happen all the time. Look at Philly vs. Boston. And finally, did the Avs bulk up and speed up since we blasted them 5-1 in NY? Stop using silly stereotypes as arguments.

SupersonicMonkey*

They got rolled over plain and simple. How many shots on goal did we have in the third? How much did the Avs have the puck?

SupersonicMonkey*

http://snyrangersblog.com/2013-14/alain-vigneault/recap-alain-vigneault-post-game-comments-26/lain Vigneault met with the media on MSG after the Rangers lost to the Avs (MSG):

On only getting one point, “I would have preferred two. We were in a position to win this game….faceoff in our end. We win the draw, had two opportunities to get it out and we didn’t. They tied it up and we lost in a shootout.”
Were you too protective in the third, “no, I think they had a real strong push. A couple of our guys logged some minutes and it’s the fourth game on this trip so…give them credit, they had a real strong push in the third.”

-------

So where was the push BACK? Thats the issue.

"blah blah...excuse (we played some road games)...blah blah...they pushed...blah blah"

Where is the mentality that losing the important extra point when they had the lead, is unacceptable in a playoff race, and that going into a shell with no fight back is unacceptable? Vignault is too ****ing passive. Unless he's trash talking about a 21 year rookie, he has no guts. This team is not skilled enough and not strong enough to have no push back. If theyre going to win in the playoffs they will have to out-will their opponent. Push back. Fight back. Stand up for eachother. Dont watch Staal get run from behind and then shrug it off. Fight back! Hit their guy harder.

Skate harder.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
They got rolled over plain and simple. How many shots on goal did we have in the third? How much did the Avs have the puck?

This happens all the time in a 1 goal game in the 3rd. Did Boston get rolled over by Philly and do they need more toughness. We made the Avs our *****es in the garden.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Some people need to realize it's difficult to clear the zone and defend when the opponent pulls their goalie. It's like a powerplay, with the disadvantage of icing the puck when clearing it all the way down. We got scored on against 6 skaters. It happens. Move on! We got 2 wins and an OT loss in 4 road games. That's quite impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad