Post-Game Talk: Rangers at Hurricanes - October 28

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Dylan McIlrath should still be on this team, Nick Holden took all of his icetime away.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
It's a loss some players put forth a great effort. But now should be a time to change the D pairings up after that loss how don't you put in Clendo

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I don't love xG on a small sample size like one game, right now. I have to think on it. Manny's work is excellent for larger sample sizes. But, the NHL PBP data doesn't account for four guys standing in front of you on a tipped shot, so it's hard for me to get behind xG on a game-by-game basis until a large enough data sample is built to filter noise like that out. On the Bickell goal, all xG sees is that it was a tipped shot from 15 feet out on this angle.

On a game by game, give me shot attempts.

As always, judge for yourself, but at least give everything the due diligence it deserves before judging: http://www.corsica.hockey/blog/2016/03/03/shot-quality-and-expected-goals-part-i/

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
Girardi and Holden killing a minute and a half of the final 2 and a half minutes, absolutely brilliant.

Hank needs to get his head out of his ass, so many soft goals. Even every save this year he looks like he's fighting. Just brutal.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
It's a loss some players put forth a great effort. But now should be a time to change the D pairings up after that loss how don't you put in Clendo
Yeah not a huge deal. Annoying loss sure but...I mean one player scored all their goals it happens. But of course it had to be free hat night. :laugh:

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
tPjDfLW.png

Goalies fault

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
Of course everyone bashes G last season because of advanced stats. This season I'm pretty sure he has a 50% corsi so far with the worst zone starts on the team. So does he now get credit for good advanced stats?

No where near 50, 45%, -6.9% rel (before tns game, probably a little better now). Slightly better than last year, still #7-8 d-level, still looks like a damn PK half the time he's on the ice.

Holden has been making him look a little better though. Them both on the ice together made me ill.

Last edited:

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
youre not going to win with your hall of fame goalie playing like a 4th stringer.

Henrik needs to stop sucking...hes single handedly pissing wins away for this team.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
youre not going to win with your hall of fame goalie playing like a 4th stringer.

Henrik needs to stop sucking...hes single handedly pissing wins away for this team.

Yep, the game winner was all on him. So was that point blank shot from Skinner who was allowed to triple lutz around two defenseman for 15 seconds to get the exact shot he wanted, and don't forget that breakaway either.

The defense is elite, if only our overpaid goalie could stop everything we would never lose a game, ever!

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014

Yup, should be 6-1-1 at worst right now.

Meanwhile Talbot is dropping shutouts almost every game now. Made a huge mistake getting rid of him..

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Yep, the game winner was all on him. So was that point blank shot from Skinner who was allowed to triple lutz around two defenseman for 15 seconds to get the exact shot he wanted, and don't forget that breakaway either.

The defense is elite, if only our overpaid goalie could stop everything we would never lose a game, ever!

the game winner was the only one he didnt have a chance on.

you know what you need to realize?

literally every high percentage shots people take dont go in.

its so simple to make snarky ass comments like this...but the backhand goal...WEAK AS HELL.

Henrik needs to make some stops. Cam Ward made enough stops, and he was outshot, out chanced, out everythinged.

Thats what the effing goalie needs to do.

Thats in his effing job description.....stop pucks once in a while.

ill forgive the 3rd one, theres nothing he can do there...but the other 2? make a frikkin save Henrik.

If goalies were only responsible for the easy ones, then youd never need a good goalie, just average ones.

Good goalies are paid to stop hard shots. Henrik hasnt done that whatsoever this season. Hes been borderline brutal.

and its not even the goals hes giving up. The saves hes making, hes having such trouble with. Cant control rebounds at all...kicking pucks out into the slot....im honestly worrying if theres somethign physically wrong with him because he just looks totally off his game and has looked so since minute 1. he's yet to be even remotely one of the stars of the game...and thats jsut not typical of henrik.

Last edited by a moderator:

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
the game winner was the only one he didnt have a chance on.

you know what you need to realize?

literally every high percentage shots people take dont go in.

its so simple to make snarky ass comments like this...but the backhand goal...WEAK AS HELL.

Henrik needs to make some stops. Cam Ward made enough stops, and he was outshot, out chanced, out everythinged.

Thats what the effing goalie needs to do.

Thats in his effing job description.....stop pucks once in a while.

ill forgive the 3rd one, theres nothing he can do there...but the other 2? make a frikkin save Henrik.

If goalies were only responsible for the easy ones, then youd never need a good goalie, just average ones.

Good goalies are paid to stop hard shots. Henrik hasnt done that whatsoever this season. Hes been borderline brutal.

and its not even the goals hes giving up. The saves hes making, hes having such trouble with. Cant control rebounds at all...kicking pucks out into the slot....im honestly worrying if theres somethign physically wrong with him because he just looks totally off his game and has looked so since minute 1. he's yet to be even remotely one of the stars of the game...and thats jsut not typical of henrik.

But don't you understand that it's the defense's fault when he has to struggle and fight off an unscreened shot from the blue line?

Last edited by a moderator:

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Yep, the game winner was all on him. So was that point blank shot from Skinner who was allowed to triple lutz around two defenseman for 15 seconds to get the exact shot he wanted

He had full sight of the puck, and it was clear as day that Skinner was going to be able to get a shot, which wasn't from a particularly great angle. That goal wasn't that bad, but he needs to challenge that a bit. He's playing deeper in his crease than ever before, which makes no sense because he's 34 and doesn't have the agility and reflexes to react to shots from that deep in his net anymore.

and don't forget that breakaway either.

Yeah, that "breakaway" where he was forced to shoot on his backhand to one spot. Absolutely abhorrent goal. Lundqvist from two years ago stops that in his sleep.

The defense is elite,

No one says that.

if only our overpaid goalie could stop everything we would never lose a game, ever!

No one says that.

If our $8.5M goalie had an average save % we'd likely be 7-0-1. That's closer to something that has actually been said and has some actual merit to it.

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014

Hank's looked pedestrian thus far. He typically looks blah early on and him and Allaire usually adjust well, so I am not overly concerned. You can analyze and find ways to write off each goal he allows, but in looking objectively at his body of play thus far this season, he's not nearly at his best and doesn't look sharp. Keep in mind, he's not held to the same standard as the rest of the league: he's a Hall of Famer, the highest paid goalie in the game, and from a consistency point of view has been the best goalie in the game since he entered the league. A high standard and expectation exist and I'd suspect he probably holds himself accountable to the same.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Just watched the DVRed game, what a waste of time. Honestly the Rangers outside of the fluky circumstance St. Louis game have to be the worst team in the whole ****ing league playing from behind in the third. They are embarrassingly bad. Did they even have a shot in the last 15 minutes? Absolutely embarrassing. Also Staal and Klein suck. I can't believe I wasted two hours on this garbage.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
The years i've followed the Rangers, Hank usually starts quite slowly, and the first month at least is far below his average (one season if i recall, he was subpar all the way towards Christmas).

This is not meant to excuse him in any way, its just quite typical of what i remember from the last 7 or so years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad