Post-Game Talk: Rangers at Devils 10/19/13

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013
Ekblad is going to be nothing like Pronger. He's probably the most polished and physically mature defenseman to come out of juniors in a very long time, but I don't see really high end offense coming from him.

Mods, going to start a 2014 draft thread, this PGT is getting way too off topic, though admittedly, I'm one of the culprits causing it.

I agree. I like Ekblad, but I liked Jones better.

so ekblad and mcdavid are ours right?

Not with the Rangers luck or Sather in charge.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Rebuild?

Rebuild what exactly?

Rebuild is when you clean house. There's absolutely no reason to do something extreme like that. Not when you have a rather young roster that's been pretty successful over the years.

You guys are so impatient. It's so immature. You don't have the patience to watch an injured team learn a new system while starting the season on a brutal west coast trip, but you're patient enough to watch a full rebuild? Really? :dunce:

What did ya'll expect? There are growing pains. Adjustments don't happen over night. Players are taught one thing for years, then with just a few months they have to make extreme adjustments.

Even if we suck ass all year long, you still don't rebuild the team. You retain guys that fit your system and style going forward. Retool. Evaluate. Retool some more.

And lastly, where's the guarantee that if we do rebuild, we end up superior team? Anyone?

The jokefest is going to continue. Suck it in folks. Embrace it. Most of you guys wanted change. We got it. Now give it a chance and let it evolve what we're hoping it could.

Wake me up in December.

Championship*

It's the same **** every year. Every year - not good enough. Every year it's a "retool". Retooling isn't working. None of the problems get fixed. It's time.

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ
Did anyone catch the Isles game? It's like they are playing a different sport than we are, it's actually exciting to watch!

I'm so friggin depressed! :baghead:

Championship*

Really don't care who believes me:

Had a wedding with a member of the nyr "family". If you think their mind is on hockey I've got a bridge to sell you.

I believe you. I believe you for the simple fact that the on ice product is absolutely trash and it's obvious that their mind isn't on hockey.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Did anyone catch the Isles game? It's like they are playing a different sport than we are, it's actually exciting to watch!

I'm so friggin depressed! :baghead:

Where's the guy who got mad I said the games aren't fun to watch even though they won against WSH? Watching a bunch of plumbers try to jam a puck in because they are devoid of talent is very depressing, Radek27. It's okay, you are not alone.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

It's the same **** every year. Every year - not good enough. Every year it's a "retool". Retooling isn't working. None of the problems get fixed. It's time.

Where's the guarantee that **** is going to change after a rebuild?

You can't guarantee ****. You're just another guy whining for a rebuild because he doesn't have the answers he wants.

You don't have to rebuild this team. Look at the roster. Look at our farm.

It's still too early in the year to know what we really have. Grow thicker skin. Develop some patience.

Basically, stop being so emo. :dainty:

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Either way, Sather better be on the phone and there better be a trade on the way.

Girardi, Del Zotto, Staal, Zuccarello, Boyle, Pyatt, Powe, Dorsett. He surely can get some good to great offers.

Ah, the fan's favorite fix. Trade mediocrity in quantity and expect quality in return.

Amazing I have never seen a fan want the other side of that deal.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Vanek has speed, is skilled with the puck and can score.

Vanek doesn't exactly have afterburners. He's got a very accurate shot and is quite possibly the best garbage goal scorer in the league. He's always in the front of the net banging in rebounds and getting deflections.

I am a huge Vanek fan, but based on your posts about this team, you don't seem to think this team is a top line winger away from contention, so why make such a move?

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
Did our guys enjoy the preseason golf so much they don't want to extend the season with a Nice playof run?

Tonight we were outplayed, outcoached and outmuscled AGAIN..

It could look like we want to be in the lottery for the first pick next year..

Tonight we failed on every account, no one stepped up..

Championship*

Where's the guarantee that **** is going to change after a rebuild?

You can't guarantee ****. You're just another guy whining for a rebuild because he doesn't have the answers he wants.

You don't have to rebuild this team. Look at the roster. Look at our farm.

It's still too early in the year to know what we really have. Grow thicker skin. Develop some patience.

Basically, stop being so emo. :dainty:

Wheres the guarantee it won't? If you're looking for guarantees, I don't think you'll find them too often in sports. There is no guarantee with anything. I don't know what your definition of "Rebuild" is but you seem to think it means get rid of everybody and everything including prospects. That's false. ID the young players you want to keep going forward. Keep prospects. Draft high.

This isn't about this year. It's about every year. Every year is the same - not good enough. Fall short. How many years have we been without a competent offense now? Patience? I've been waiting 20 years, how about you?

It's time. The "retool" method, which has been going on since lockout II, is a failure. It's time for the next step.

This team sucks. It's the worst Rangers team in years. The only reason the Rangers have been "successful" since lockout II has to do with Henrik and he looks horrendous. Team will do nothing without him playing god like (like every year) and right now, that doesn't seem to be happening any time soon. That's not an overreaction, it's a fact.

"It's just preseason" has now turned into "It's just 7 games."
"It's just the 1st month" is right around the corner, and so on

Last edited by a moderator:

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

This team sucks.

We haven't seen this specific team yet.

That's why I'm suggesting you develop some patience. Because it's going to be awhile before we do. Until then, suck it up. Take it like a man. Stop whining.

JC704

Jan 6, 2012
I'm going to keep my post short and simple.

#1 -- I feel like the youth in this organization are not really being handled as properly as they could be. For all the flack Kreider has gotten about his defensive shortcomings at times, he has scored big goals for us in the playoffs in consecutive years. How much worse would Kreider be than Pyatt/Pouliot/Zucc at the moment? (I happen to like what Zucc brings and think Pyatt is an ideal NHL 4th liner). Miller didn't do much against the Devils tonight, but he was skating well, had a few nice hits/solid shifts. The point being, he didn't look terribly out of place and none of the FOUR Jersey goals were directly his fault. McIlrath is another story, but I believe the organization will take a long look at him during the second half of the season.

My point is, mostly every other organization in the NHL has their problems, but do not shelter the talent that they have. Anaheim has been an example of this in recent years. Look at Montreal, Ottawa, St. Louis as other examples. There is a plethora of talented youngsters in the Rangers' organization who, at the moment, should be playing sheltered bottom-six minutes and players like Kredier/Miller, who we know have talent, should be sprinkled in with Stepan/Brassard/Richards, trying to create chemistry and a rapport with AV. It is clear as day that players like Pyatt, Dorsett, Pouliot (latter two can't stand, but that's another rant) have specific roles, but when asked to do what they did tonight, is just simply too much for them. Sometimes the development of youngsters can be ruined without properly-skilled players playing next to them, but does the majority of the board really believe that playing Kreider on a hypothetical line with Stepan and any of Pyatt/Richards/Zucc (all noticeably better two-way players for the time being) asking him to go get it and score goals is really a bad thing? To sum this up, I think Sather's slow burning style and letting the youngsters "earn" their roles is a bit detrimental to the current style of the new league. One more example: Sean Monahan (sp?) in Calgary. Eight points in seven games to start his NHL career. Is the production not sustainable? Sure, but he's getting that valuable experience, and when he hits the rookie/sophomore wall, he'll have this start to look back on as a confidence booster.

2. -- I extended that first point longer than it needed to be so here is my #2. In regards to players like Del Zotto, Stepan, Zucc and Miller, as I'm watching the games, I truthfully believe there is a lot more "thinking" going on the ice rather than "doing." The PP has looked better (which is a small plus), but there is still too much passing, lots of unnecessary dumping/cycling and just generally not enough possessing. Sometimes, it pays to be a bit selfish. I still feel like there is unnecessary calculating going on and by doing this, its hindering the potential for any kind of offense. Sometimes, it IS better to DO rather than think, especially in the case of a player like Stepan who is WAY too unselfish at the wrong times.

Championship*

We haven't seen this specific team yet.

That's why I'm suggesting you develop some patience. Because it's going to be awhile before we do. Until then, suck it up. Take it like a man. Stop whining.

Specific team? I've been watching this specific team. When do they change into this new team? You can't make the playoffs in October, but you can sure as hell miss them.

If it's going to be awhile before we do then you're suggesting that we're going to be out of it sooner, rather than later. And at that point, there is no point to race to finish at best 8th, but most likely, right in the mediocrity cluster where we've alway been. Which fixes nothing.

This whole "new system" thing isn't going to be an excuse for much longer. The players aren't using it as an excuse. They are constantly saying how it shouldn't be tough to adjust to. They were all looking forward to it. What's Henrik's excuse? The D forget how to play? Forwards are par for the course, with only 3 of them having goals so far this season. Only 3 forwards have scored!

There is a difference between losing and getting embarrassed. Of the 7 games they've played, 4 have been embarrassments. 4 out of 7. 2 shutouts already in the first 7 games they've played. The problem is there are literally no signs of them getting better. They play 2 great games and then it's right back to being blown out.

How many more years of this?

Last edited by a moderator:

RiceCooker

"We Got Some Looks"
Mar 6, 2007
Home !!
11 goals in 7 games...

Wow...just wow...

I look at the lineup with Nash and Cally out and I see a team with very few goal scorers......Richards has played well but I still don't see him as an offensive threat. Stepan and Brassard have looked average at best, Zuc gets knocked off the puck all the time, then you have guys like Pyatt, Boyle, Powe, Pouliot and Dorsett who are just pluggers with little skill.....who the hell is going to score for this team, the forward lineup is just awful right now.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
i've seen a lot weirder than a team bounce back from an awful start to the season (under awful conditions- new coach, injuries, sked). i think this team should get at least a third- or half-season to see what they really are. admittedly, they look horrid now. and the one thing that is almost unforgivable/unexplainable is the apparent lack of guts and interest.
but for me the jury is still out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad