Post-Game Talk: Rangers at Devils 10/19/13

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Was able to see the first period.

Saw the first two goals. Goal one was LOL worthy from Hank, nice rebound. Goal two was also LOL worthy by Hank, but WTF were Girardi and Powe doing?

Not showing up for a Devils game, juding by these posts, is bad news.

Right the ship.

Two big wins against PHI and DET would go a long way for this team.

Boy, do we need to get healthy.

LGR

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
You made it. My invite was short notice. Ahhhhahahahah. The cheetah club.

For those who have climbed the corporate mountain. Top.

We're a recognized 501c3 charity organization! I don't know what that means, but you can get a maximum tax refund! What's more?!

/commercial break

Only you guys can understand me.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I had a real bad feeling before this game. NJD is a well drilled team, and you cannot screw up against them. When they get the lead, we are basically screwed.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Its not the reason for why we lost, but McD's play on the 2nd goal is so typical of what is wrong with this team. Its too bad nhl.com don't have it on their highlight .

We have the puck and are changing players. McD has the puck and there is no or atleast very little pressure on him. He acts like he is trying to get into the Guniess Book of World Records under fastest give away. He skates really hard backwards to be able to get around the puck and slap it around the boards as fast as possible. We have NOBODY in position to put pressure on the puck, JJ picks it up, moves it to Henrique and its in our net a few seconds later. At nhl.com you can see the puck going around the boards, but not how little McD is pressure when he deicdes to give it away.

Media loves to show a Serghai Kostitsyn not back-check or whatever, but it is also pretty mind boggling that you can have played as long as McD have in this league and have so low hockey IQ on a play like that.

The only time a play like that makes sense is if you don't care one iota about carrying the play and the game is only about "not" making misstakes in the netural zone. That hasn't been the case the last 10 years.

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
I had a real bad feeling before this game. NJD is a well drilled team, and you cannot screw up against them. When they get the lead, we are basically screwed.

It seems when any team gets the lead against us, we're screwed. No pushing back whatsoever. The only guy who seemed kinda frustrated and wanted to take it out on the Devils was Benoit Fudging Pouliot. :laugh:

Kokoschka

May 13, 2012
2 players capable of playing top 6 minutes. Loss would have been excusable against pretty much every other team in the league. But look at what the Devils had to ice. Lol.

This team seems to stand and fall with Ryan Callahan, and that's not saying a good thing about the other players. Somebody step the **** up and make a ballsy play or agitate a little.

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
Next game is against a team that hasn't played a game for a week, so that can go either way..

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
How can anyone in their right mind think this team will
Turn this around. They are not only losing but the games are not even close. I mean take the have hope for another day glasses off already. They can't generate anything offensively. They can't cover anyone defensively. And their franchise goalkeeper looks like he just started playing his position for the first time.

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA
I was afraid of us getting too complacent after just one win and that was before I knew Callahan was hurt. Sure enough, they turned in a pedestrian effort. Injuries, new coach, new system etc. they all have an affect but this is just unacceptable and down right embarassing. Does this team really need both Callahan and Torts to hold their hand? Why does every single player look worse? They all need to look in the mirror and do some serious soul searching. It's just a bunch of guys floating around out there aimlessly!

So happy I decided to record the game instead of staying home and wasting my night! When you're someone who watches every game and blows off everything to watch this team religiously it's pretty telling when even I decide to skip watching this horror show on ice. I'll be watching the next game just like the rest of us because we're diehard fans but this is going to be a really rough year in Rangerland. Hoping for the best but when your fans seem to have more passion for watching the game than the players have for playing it that's a really bad sign. Buckle Up fellas!

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Rebuild?

Rebuild what exactly?

Rebuild is when you clean house. There's absolutely no reason to do something extreme like that. Not when you have a rather young roster that's been pretty successful over the years.

You guys are so impatient. It's so immature. You don't have the patience to watch an injured team learn a new system while starting the season on a brutal west coast trip, but you're patient enough to watch a full rebuild? Really? :dunce:

What did ya'll expect? There are growing pains. Adjustments don't happen over night. Players are taught one thing for years, then with just a few months they have to make extreme adjustments.

Even if we suck ass all year long, you still don't rebuild the team. You retain guys that fit your system and style going forward. Retool. Evaluate. Retool some more.

And lastly, where's the guarantee that if we do rebuild, we end up superior team? Anyone?

The jokefest is going to continue. Suck it in folks. Embrace it. Most of you guys wanted change. We got it. Now give it a chance and let it evolve what we're hoping it could.

Wake me up in December.

Management would have to actually decide on a system/style for that to happen

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
If the Rangers were going to rebuild, this season and upcoming offseason would be the right time to do it considering there are so many players in their contract years.

But Sather will never do it. He wants that cup and is getting closer and closer to retirement, he won't have the patience to undergo a proper rebuild. And I'm not sure Dolan will be on board with it either.

Instead, we will see another patchwork roster thrown together that isn't quite good enough to win the cup. Expect Sather to be active in free agency this summer - he hasn't made a big signing since Richards in 2011 and I am sure he will be licking his chops to sign a splashy free agent such as Phaneuf or whomever.

Ranger109

Mar 2, 2011
Was at the game last night in a VIP suit; wow what an amazing experience. It was really incredible, first time ever doing that.

I was so excited for the game...

I cannot even begin to explain how little heart these guys have. They did nothing on the ice, it was quite pathetic.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Where's the guarantee that **** is going to change after a rebuild?

You can't guarantee ****. You're just another guy whining for a rebuild because he doesn't have the answers he wants.

You don't have to rebuild this team. Look at the roster. Look at our farm.

It's still too early in the year to know what we really have. Grow thicker skin. Develop some patience.

Basically, stop being so emo. :dainty:

I am, I have, and I see nothing to get excited about.

The roster is poorly constructed.

To small with the guys that are aggressive, and to soft with the bigger guys.

No finishers outside of Nash and even he seems to want to pass before he shoots.

sometimes it pays off to be selfish and we have none of that.

No PPQB, no real puck rushing defenceman that can back the opposing team up.

The break outs are atrocious.

Theygive the puck away way to often and the reason for that is because they have problems putting 2 friggin passes together?

This is not a good team so when you say Look at the roster, look at the farm, I ask, what are we supposed to be seeing other than a group of very mediocre to less than mediocre group on both levels.

Help me see what you see. Because I'm looking and the more I look, the sadder I get,

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Lundqvist for Bishop and Drouin I would do.

I wonder if Tampa would.

You'd trade the best player this franchise had produced since Leetch for an undersized kid with one good year in a non-physical junior league, and a mediocre goaltender?

I like Drouin but that is cold...

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
So glad I chose pearl jam over this sad sack team. Now there is a group of guys that care about their effort and their fans.

Championship*

You'd trade the best player this franchise had produced since Leetch for an undersized kid with one good year in a non-physical junior league, and a mediocre goaltender?

I like Drouin but that is cold...

I'd absolutely flip Henrik for a package that included Drouin. He is going to be a superstar in this league.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
People got it twisted. You don't worry about a slow start when the effort and talent is there but the luck isn't. It's like a hitter in a slump who keeps lining out or hitting it to the track. Eventually they'll start getting hits.

The Rangers haven't been unlucky. They've been downright pathetic. Injuries to good teams don't give the healthy guys an excuse to dog it. Quite the opposite. While the coach is partly responsible to motivate his guys to compete, it's on the players to step up.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The only good of this game is that AV finally played Fast with some skilled guys for the last ten minutes of the third and they had two good shifts. I'm not saying they're gonna be world beaters but why not try him with Richards and Brassard or Stepan until at least Hagelin gets back? You need offensive players and it's a better option than Pyatt or Zuc at this point.

Call up Kristo and have him in just an offensive role for like three games.

Richards-Brassard-Fast
Miller-Stepan-Kristo
Pyatt-Boyle-Zuc
Poulliot/Powe-Moore-Dorsett

I know that lineup on paper isn't great but honestly, can it be much better with what's available now?

Everyone on those lines would have roles and a purpose instead of throwing random things together. For Kristo it is shoot first and ask question later.

Fast to keep the cycle going and get to the front of the net. Miller to do board work for those two. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Nashology

Dec 21, 2006
Girardi is not a top pairing D... I find is amusing looking back on old topics and Rangers fans talk about him being the perfect 3-4. Now, he is terrible and everyone pawns him off as a great top pair player.

He has little to no offense, he is playing terrible defensively. Not a whole lot going for him right now...

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I didn't watch the game, and I'm glad I didn't.

It's amazing after being fans of this team for so many years so many of you don't pick up on trends.

The moment the buzzer sounded to end the Devils game Friday night our fate was sealed. The Rangers are constantly trying to find the way they can one-up themselves in the embarassment department.

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
I knew it would happen. I kept saying the longer Stepan holds out the worse he will be the first half of the season and that has been the case

Has they already played half the season? Wow, that went fast(h).

Glad I'm a little more patient than what seems to be the average New Yorkfan

NHRangerfan

I just think it is irrational to use these first seven games to speak for the remaining 75. It certainly would not be the first time in recent memory this team has started slowly.

If this team was competing and losing, I could see your point, but aside from the Blues loss and the Kings and Caps win they have seemed at best disinterested...that is a HUGE issue.

Championship*

Heres the thing though, people like myself who are calling for a rebuild, it's not about these 8 games. It's about every year. The "retooling", the putting bandaids on leaks. It's not working. None of it is. This team has been mediocre for the majority of recent years except for 1 and really the only reason they've been mediocre is because of 1 player, otherwise they would have been plain bad. The offense doesn't work so you go out and get an offensive minded coach. Now the Offense, Defense and Goaltending are broken. Rangers are 30th in the league is GAA. 30th. That is incredible. Whats the point of dragging this out. A good friend of mine drunkenly spoke some truth once - "Either be a gold medal or be on welfare." You don't get anything for being in between.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad