Rumor: Rangers "Are In Big-Time" to Acquire Jonathan Drouin

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Brassard did not sit out NHL or AHL games during a signed contract. Ask for a trade, fine. Agent makes a stink, fine. When you sit out games pouting it reaches a new level of entitlement in my opinion.

A new level of entitlement or an escalation of an already bad conflict? We only know what we're being told. Could be an entitled, spoiled brat trying to force his way out. Could be poor management and bad workplace relations or an agent offering some very bad advice to a young, dumb kid. Probably a combination of all tree.

We don't have the information we need to place the blame entirely on him.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Bingo. That's my line of thinking exactly.

Eh, I think there's more to this than either side is letting on. I read that, if Drouin plays another NHL game, he gets an accrued season and becomes a UFA one year earlier. If his agent is to be believed, TBL said they were sending Drouin down to the AHL for conditioning and to "prove" he was back to 100% from his injury.

It seems a little suspicious that they just so happened to send him down just as he was about to jump a year closer to UFA status, and now won't call him back up. Despite growing pains and being jerked around by the coach, Drouin has played at a 40-point clip in his NHL career. He should be in the NHL, and Tampa is actively trying to screw him out of an accrued season, which will effect his future earnings. I can understand why the kid is pissed. I never like when a kid sits out, and it certainly reeks of entitlement, but Tampa seems to be handling him extremely poorly.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Eh, I think there's more to this than either side is letting on. I read that, if Drouin plays another NHL game, he gets an accrued season and becomes a UFA one year earlier. If his agent is to be believed, TBL said they were sending Drouin down to the AHL for conditioning and to "prove" he was back to 100% from his injury.

It seems a little suspicious that they just so happened to send him down just as he was about to jump a year closer to UFA status, and now won't call him back up. Despite growing pains and being jerked around by the coach, Drouin has played at a 40-point clip in his NHL career. He should be in the NHL, and Tampa is actively trying to screw him out of an accrued season, which will effect his future earnings. I can understand why the kid is pissed. I never like when a kid sits out, and it certainly reeks of entitlement, but Tampa seems to be handling him extremely poorly.

hmm...

He has played 89 games... what is the game count for ELC rules?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
His agent is forcing Yzerman's hand a bit with that statement. By putting out the statement, Drouin's agent is essentially saying "He's not playing in the Lightning organization anymore, so Yzerman can **** off until he makes a trade". Any leverage Yzerman had with just having Drouin wait in the AHL until the best deal rolls around is damaged.

Unless you're skeptical Drouin is willing to not get paid and maybe lose his entire NHL career over this.

Yzerman should wait him out. There is no way Drouin comes out on top here if Y sticks to his guns.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Unless you're skeptical Drouin is willing to not get paid and maybe lose his entire NHL career over this.

Yzerman should wait him out. There is no way Drouin comes out on top here if Y sticks to his guns.

Ehhhh I don't think it's risking his career. I will say the situation has been handled poorly on both sides but that's how it goes. I don't think this seriously puts a damper on a teams want for him though. The only thing now is if Drouin does not play again for Tampa, teams won't like that he's not playing. May hurt Yzerman in the end.

We'll see. I'm sure a team like the Blackhawks or the Kings couldn't give two ****s about his "attitude" if they could get him

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
His agent is forcing Yzerman's hand a bit with that statement. By putting out the statement, Drouin's agent is essentially saying "He's not playing in the Lightning organization anymore, so Yzerman can **** off until he makes a trade". Any leverage Yzerman had with just having Drouin wait in the AHL until the best deal rolls around is damaged.

Disagree. Yzerman can just sit pat. He's not losing anything. He doesn't owe Drouin anything. He owes Drouin's agent even less.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
If the Lightning start losing a lot of game, Yzerman will begin to feel the pressure. That's probably when he cuts his losses and makes a deal.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Stevie Y wont bend.
Someone will offer a recent or future #1, plus a player that can help, and maybe a fringe prospect.
Its the other GMs who will cave, can't resist Drouin's talent and youth

BleedinBLUEsince92

Oct 30, 2009
Northern NJ
Any chance of them wanting something based around Lindberg?

HIGHLY doubt it. Never say never but this is a recent #3 overall. There is no denying his skill. Hasn't translated fully at NHL level but still. Also there seems to be many teams interested. I'd wager Yzerman has been offered a package already that is much more valuable than Lindberg. Maybe for Lindberg if we are offering two 1sts and Lindberg, 1st, and a 2nd haha.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Lots of parallels trying to be drawn to Drouin that don't pass the sniff test. Kid is 20 years old and on his ELC. He and his agent should shut the **** up and honor the contract he signed.

For the people absolving Drouin's abhorrently immature behavior, would you feel the same way if a young Ranger was doing the same thing?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I just don't think Drouin is as much of a sure thing as other people.

Yes, the kid could do very well in the NHL level. But right now, I don't take that as a given. In fact, I'm not sure I see it as better than 50/50 odds.

There are lot of question marks in the overall package with Drouin.

Right now I see more Nail Yakupov than I see Kyle Turris.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I have read a few times how Yzerman won that MSL trade. I do not believe that is true. I think both teams lost that trade. 2 years later what did both teams end up with?

NYR
2015 second round pick

Tampa
2014 Two second round picks (#35 & #57)
2015 second round pick (#33) third round pick (#72)
Cally on a horrible contract 6 years 35 million dollars (5.8 mill a year)

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Ehhhh I don't think it's risking his career. I will say the situation has been handled poorly on both sides but that's how it goes. I don't think this seriously puts a damper on a teams want for him though. The only thing now is if Drouin does not play again for Tampa, teams won't like that he's not playing. May hurt Yzerman in the end.

We'll see. I'm sure a team like the Blackhawks or the Kings couldn't give two ****s about his "attitude" if they could get him

It definitely is risking his career if Yzerman doesn't trade him pending him playing in the ahl again. He has zero leverage. He has to stay with this team until his deal is up and they aren't going to trade him for a fraction of his worth based on his pouting and breaking his contract.

He should suck it up, play in the a, actually light it up and then whine with a better leg to stand on.

If I'm Yzerman I tell him to sit out as long as he wants, I'm not trading him for diminished value that he created himself. Don't get paid, don't play.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Lots of parallels trying to be drawn to Drouin that don't pass the sniff test. Kid is 20 years old and on his ELC. He and his agent should shut the **** up and honor the contract he signed.

For the people absolving Drouin's abhorrently immature behavior, would you feel the same way if a young Ranger was doing the same thing?

Depends on the circumstances.

Also, absolving and understanding are two different things. It's very easy to pass judgement on all of these players without knowing first hand what has occurred between they and their management. Just because you sign a contract with someone does not mean they get to treat you however they feel like.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Depends on the circumstances.

Also, absolving and understanding are two different things. It's very easy to pass judgement on all of these players without knowing first hand what has occurred between they and their management. Just because you sign a contract with someone does not mean they get to treat you however they feel like.

It does mean they can treat you however they like so long as they stay within the contract and the law.

If he didn't like the contract he's free to not be a professional hockey player in the NHL. Everyone else finds a way to make this work.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
It does mean they can treat you however they like so long as they stay within the contract and the law.

If he didn't like the contract he's free to not be a professional hockey player in the NHL. Everyone else finds a way to make this work.

Except for every other player in the history of the sport who has requested a trade or forced their way out of an organization, yes, you are correct. Everyone else does.

So not everyone. It's also not the first time someone has not reported to the AHL.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I don't think anyone's absolving him at all. Also have to factor in the point that we don't know what is going on behind closed door. Cooper and Yzerman could have been jackasses and it just isn't a fit between player and team.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Except for every other player in the history of the sport who has requested a trade or forced their way out of an organization, yes, you are correct. Everyone else does.

So not everyone. It's also not the first time someone has not reported to the AHL.

Okay, the vast, vast majority of players make this work without breaching their contract and refusing to play in the minors.

Requesting a trade is fine. This is well beyond that.

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
I have read a few times how Yzerman won that MSL trade. I do not believe that is true. I think both teams lost that trade. 2 years later what did both teams end up with?

NYR
2015 second round pick

Tampa
2014 Two second round picks (#35 & #57)
2015 second round pick (#33) third round pick (#72)
Cally on a horrible contract 6 years 35 million dollars (5.8 mill a year)

Yep, with that Callahan contract, I actually think they did worse than we did. Hindsight is 20-20 and we did get a great cup run out of St. Louis, but move was probably to just trade Callahan for a first/rental at the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad