Rumor: Rangers "Are In Big-Time" to Acquire Jonathan Drouin

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
just trade him.. it so much public knowledge.. i find it laughable they consider this to seguin.. dude hasn't provide anything close to him at the same stages in their careers.. and the names being tossed around, you would think bern is calling the shots.. Shattenkirk? Galchenyuk? i mean give me a break..

TRADE HIM.. STOP dragging this soap box around.. at the end of the day professional sports are big businesses.. no one owes anyone anything, because at the end of the day the team/owner will fire you/trade you and banish you without hesitation.. the kid is out of line but so is the team..

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Whatever scenarios you're dreaming up, I think it can be pretty easily surmised that he's doing this because he's not a fan of being yo yo'd to the AHL/the way hes being used in the NHL.

I'm sure that is part of it yes, and no I'm not going to speculate on what other reasons may be involved. I am willing to admit I don't know the whole story.

I also know that hockey players work their whole adolescent lives for what basically amounts to one shot at making a good career out of their hard work, and I'm not going to crucify a kid for believing he is not being given an opportunity he deserves based on performance and potential. I'm not going to crucify him for wanting to try and get that opportunity elsewhere.

Perfect example on the Rangers right now, if Kevin Hayes after he was benched one game came out and threw a fit and asked to be traded because he wasn't getting the ice-time he deserved, I would be pissed. That's spoiled entitlement. Hayes has been crap most of this year and he's lucky he hasn't been benched more often.

On the other hand McIlrath has done as much as you can expect of a rookie to earn more ice-time, and instead he's been in a press box more than not. While it would be premature for him to ask to be traded, I would at least understand why. Guys playing like **** are being handed minutes based on tenure rather than ability and performance. What kind of message is that sending? On top of that the coach comes out and says Girardi has played better defense, which to anyone with two working eyes is a joke. It's not even close to true.

I can see why Drouin gets the benefit of the doubt.

Why shouldn't he? Again, without knowing the whole story why is it okay to call the kids character in to question and letting Tampa management off the hook completely? At least recognize there are two sides to this, and we only know part of one. Is he completely innocent? I doubt it, but the quick judgments people are willing to pass here are troubling.

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
This is a very good time to come in and make a big offer to take this headache off of Tampa's hands.

Willing to do Yandle + Buch.

This guy is the closest thing to Seguin we'll ever get. He's going to be that good. I cannot see how Tampa can turn that offer down, aside from cap reasons-- which if that is the case I'd obviously be willing to work with them.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Buch+Yandle would be an absurd overpayment. Drouin has too many red flags to justify his talent level. Hes not Seguin, he tops out as the Boston version of Seguin (production wise) IMO, and thats if he gets his head straight.

Whatever scenarios you're dreaming up, I think it can be pretty easily surmised that he's doing this because he's not a fan of being yo yo'd to the AHL/the way hes being used in the NHL.

You won't find me accepting a single instance where I'd condone a 20 year old acting like an entitled brat. But given the bogus arguments about usage and "being put into a position to succeed" that commonly get lobbed around here, I guess I can see why Drouin gets the benefit of the doubt.

I don't disagree with your take on Drouin's attitude, but :laugh: at the bolded.

Proper player usage/putting players in a position to succeed are what the best coaches in any sport do.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
This is a very good time to come in and make a big offer to take this headache off of Tampa's hands.

This guy is the closest thing to Seguin we'll ever get. He's going to be that good. I cannot see how Tampa can turn that offer down, aside from cap reasons-- which if that is the case I'd obviously be willing to work with them.

Horrendous overpayment.

He's likely not going to be as good as Seguin, aka a top player in the world. This is insane.

Florida Ranger

Bring back Torts!
Sep 2, 2008
Wesley Chapel, FL

The Rangers aren't going act like Tampa's buddies.

Hey, pal. Sorry for your headaches with Drouin. Here's our best prospect and our best defenseman for the baby still on his mom's nips.

Hope this makes you feel better...

Love,
Gorton

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
You'd be crazy to give up Buchnevich for Drouin at this point--even if you knew he was going to stay in Russia for the rest of his life at least he wouldn't be creating bad press.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think thats 100% true. Examples being McIlrath, Etem, Miller/Fast the last few years.

Miller and Fast who are NHL regulars? What about Kevin Hayes? Oscar Lindberg?

This is not about unseasoned talent. This is about players earning their time. That's what AV requires. That's what Miller, Fast, Hayes, and Lindberg have done, even if it took time for some of them to do it. Etem did not earn the time.

The core of the dispute between Drouin and the Lightning is that he feels like he's earned the time and the organization doesn't. Probably coupled with some misunderstandings between them that makes Drouin feel mistreated.

Would Drouin earn his time in NY? I think that's unclear. Certainly much more unclear than he's making it out to be.

That writer wants us to pay attention. Doesn't sound like he has paid much attention to the way AV has handled young players in his tenure here.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
This gets back to a major difference between how some people think a competitive team should handles young players and how coaches actually do it. You don't just "put a guy in a spot that makes sense for his skills" unless you're a rebuilding team. If your aim is to compete and not to simply develop your young talent, those players have to show they deserve the spot over the veterans the team already has. That's been true for ages, and people have been failing to get it for just as long.

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
Haven't we already given Tampa to much charity already with the first rounders for the old man not even in the NHL anymore

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think they need to do a better job of having space for the unseasoned talent.

The idea behind Lombardi, Stoll, Malone, Halpern, has some flaws.

Instead of wasting time seeing if those players have anything left, leave a spot open and just trust that the farm will provide and if it fails, waivers, unsigned players and guys available for only a very late round pick are still out there.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
This gets back to a major difference between how some people think a competitive team should handles young players and how coaches actually do it. You don't just "put a guy in a spot that makes sense for his skills" unless you're a rebuilding team. If your aim is to compete and not to simply develop your young talent, those players have to show they deserve the spot over the veterans the team already has. That's been true for ages, and people have been failing to get it for just as long.

Like dropping Megna on a line with Nash right out of the box?

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Like dropping Megna on a line with Nash right out of the box?

This is a bit disingenuous. The coaching staff watched Megna in camp. In the preseason. They got reports from all of his Hartford games from their scouts. It's not like they picked him off waivers and threw him on that line. He was a relatively known, if unproven quantity.

And he proved incapable of holding that spot for more than a few games. It's not like he has been thrown next to Nash for 20min a night and the team has never looked back.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
This is a bit disingenuous. The coaching staff watched Megna in camp. In the preseason. They got reports from all of his Hartford games from their scouts. It's not like they picked him off waivers and threw him on that line. He was a relatively known, if unproven quantity.

And he proved incapable of holding that spot for more than a few games. It's not like he has been thrown next to Nash for 20min a night and the team has never looked back.

What could Megna have possibly done at the AHL level that showed the coaching staff he should be put on a line with Rick Nash?

Nothing.

Megna lucked into it, played one good game, and faltered back to his career AHL self. And now he's back in Hartford, where he should've been the whole time.

Meanwhile, the Rangers wasted an asset on the fourth-line next to Jarrett Stoll and Tanner Glass all season. And you expect that kid to prove, coming into a new system, that he deserves shots up the lineup? I don't.

EDIT -

This is getting OT, and I'm not trying to rehash the Etem argument. But I'd say that you could certainly argue AV's consistency in dealing with younger players is suspect. We heard it from Vancouver fans the day we hired him. We've seen it from him here now with Etem and McIlrath.

Last edited:

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Last thing I will say:

I'm not sure Rangers management ever saw Etem as a scoring line player. They wanted him to fill Hagelin's role; use his speed and size to chase down loose pucks, pressure defensemen, and backcheck hard.

That's why they started him in the preseason with Miller and Hayes. Hoped that would be Hagelin-Hayes-Miller. They must have concluded that he could not fill that role well enough.

Maybe the leash was a bit short.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad